PDA

View Full Version : Very, Very Important Note about USA Today Ads

tonyr1988
11-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I know that this shouldn't have to be said, but I want to make sure everyone is on the same page.

On Wednesday (or Thursday, for that matter), when the RP ad hits the USA Today, it's a great idea to pick up at least one (more than one if you want to "plant" some at work, home with family, etc.). Just make sure you pay for EACH AND EVERY COPY! For some people, it will be very tempting to pay $.75 and grab a couple. Especially on Thursday night - after all, no one else is going to buy them, USA Today will just throw them away, so who is it hurting?

I'm pretty sure that the USA Today people at least keep *some* track of "stolen" papers (# left vs. money in machine), in order to gauge how much money they're making at each location. The last thing we need is the "Worst Day in Newspaper Theft" headlines.

Just a friendly reminder: pay for every paper you buy, even if it's midnight on Thursday and no one could possibly want one.

P.S. If anyone has insider info from USA Today about their policies on this, let me know. Heck - maybe they don't care who grabs the leftovers....

James R
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Just a friendly reminder: pay for every paper you buy, even if it's midnight on Thursday and no one could possibly want one.

I'd like to add that everyone who buys a paper should by one shortly before the closing time! This way they don't run out.

Man from La Mancha
11-19-2007, 11:00 PM
USA today is the only paper to refund money back to it's seller for unused papers, so taking extras free can hurt the seller.

daviddee
11-20-2007, 12:18 AM

Wyurm
11-20-2007, 12:21 AM
I actually used to deliver for USA Today. If you take more than you pay for, you aren't hurting USA Today at all, you're hurting the guy who delivers them. They are actually contracted and pay a cut rate for the papers. They distribute the papers and have to pay for any they don't have proof wern't sold.

This doesn't apply to hotels/motels. They buy the papers outright and offer them as a bonus to their guests.

john_anderson_ii
11-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I actually used to deliver for USA Today. If you take more than you pay for, you aren't hurting USA Today at all, you're hurting the guy who delivers them. They are actually contracted and pay a cut rate for the papers. They distribute the papers and have to pay for any they don't have proof wern't sold.

So let's not screw the little guy then. Insurance companies and Lawyers are fair game in my book. But a newspaper deliver guy...let him get every dime he can.

RonPaulFever
11-20-2007, 12:27 AM
It's sad that we have to worry about blowback from the numerous idiots who are going to take advantage of this, but unfortunately a lot of papers are bound to be stolen.

If you're one of these idiots, please grow up and do the right thing.

Mckarnin
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM
I know that this shouldn't have to be said, but I want to make sure everyone is on the same page.

On Wednesday (or Thursday, for that matter), when the RP ad hits the USA Today, it's a great idea to pick up at least one (more than one if you want to "plant" some at work, home with family, etc.). Just make sure you pay for EACH AND EVERY COPY! For some people, it will be very tempting to pay $.75 and grab a couple. Especially on Thursday night - after all, no one else is going to buy them, USA Today will just throw them away, so who is it hurting?

I'm pretty sure that the USA Today people at least keep *some* track of "stolen" papers (# left vs. money in machine), in order to gauge how much money they're making at each location. The last thing we need is the "Worst Day in Newspaper Theft" headlines.

P.S. If anyone has insider info from USA Today about their policies on this, let me know. Heck - maybe they don't care who grabs the leftovers....

I'm more worried about Ron Paul haters stealing all the papers in the AM if they catch wind of the Ad...any volunteers to stake out your local USA today box with Ron Paul sign in hand?