PDA

View Full Version : Jury nullification continues to gain traction across the United States

donnay
10-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Jury nullification continues to gain traction across the United States

By Brent Daggett (http://endthelie.com/2012/10/12/jury-nullification-continues-to-gain-traction-across-the-united-states/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EndTheLie+%28End+the+Lie%29)

In 1782, Thomas Jefferson wrote in his tome, Notes on the State of Virginia, “it is usual for the jurors to decide the fact, and to refer the law arising on it to the decision of the judges. But this division of the subject lies with their discretion only. And if the question relate to any point of public liberty, or if it be one of those in which the judges may be suspected of bias, the jury undertake to decide both law and fact.”

This may seem like an antiquated statement, especially given our current state of affairs regarding unconstitutional laws, however the application of jury nullification is making its way back to the forefront.

Be sure to read Brent’s other recent articles on ballot access for third parties, free speech in schools and local currencies.

On June 18, 2012 Governor John Lynch of New Hampshire signed HB 146, which reads:

“In all criminal proceedings the court shall permit the defense to inform the jury of its right to judge the facts and the application of the law in relation to the facts in controversy.”

In other words, jurors have the right not only to be informed of jury nullification, but have the right to nullify a law if they have reason to believe the law itself is corrupt.

Even though the law does not go into effect until next January, jury nullification in New Hampshire has already occurred.

In 2009, Rastafarian Doug Darrell, of New Hampshire, was arrested after members of a marijuana eradication task force spotted plants from a National Guard helicopter flying over Darrell’s home in Barnstead.

Darrell’s lawyer, Mark Sisti, attempted to get the evidence suppressed, but to no avail, arguing the aerial surveillance was illegal, since the helicopter was below the Federal Aviation Administration of safe altitude, thus violating Darrell’s privacy.

Long story short, Darrell turned down all plea deals (he had 15 plants and did not even distribute), due to the fact he believed he did nothing wrong since marijuana is a sacrament in his religion and was cultivating it for medicinal use.

In Darrell’s second trial, which took place last month, he was acquitted and if he was convicted, Darrell could have received three and a half to seven years in prison for a Class B felony.

NH is not the only state practicing jury nullification.

In September, organic egg producer Alvin Schlangen of central Minnesota faced three misdemeanors of distributing unpasteurized milk, operating without a food handlers license and handling adulterated food.

Minnesota law prohibits the sale of raw milk “except directly to consumers on the farm when it’s produced.”

After a deliberation of 4 and a half hours, the six panel jury ruled not guilty on all three counts in Hennepin County District Court.

However, Schlangen is not completely out of the woods, as he is facing the same charges in Stearns County on November 2.

With these most recent cases, jury nullification is not some new revelation.

The first case of jury nullification can be traced back to 1670 in England when jurors refused to convict Quaker activists William Penn and William Mead on charges of unlawful assembly.

In 1735, jury nullification was introduced in America, in the trial of John Peter Zenger, who was the Printer of The New York Weekly Journal.

Zenger’s offense was constantly attacking Governor William Cosby, which violated the seditious libel law, prohibiting any criticism of the King or his appointed officers.

Andrew Hamilton, Zenger’s lawyer, argued the court’s law was outmoded and challenged that falsehood was the key component that makes a libel.

The jury only took a few minutes to deliberate before declaring Zenger not guilty. Since then, the truth continues to be a defense in libel cases.

Besides those cases, jurors at times refused to convict perpetrators of the Alien and Sedition Act, the Fugitive Slave Act and alcohol prohibition laws.

Opponents of jury nullification fear this precedent will lead to anarchy.

As to be expected, I disagree with that since I believe it is a fallacious argument.

If We the People have a Constitution, then our rights should continue to foster the cause of liberty and strike down laws which violate that foundation, otherwise we will inadvertently give power to the tyranny of the majority.

The Fully Informed Jury Association (FIJA), who would probably agree with the aforementioned critique, is a group dedicating themselves to educate the American populace on the full powers of jurors, which includes the right to judge the merits of the law as well as the applications.

FIJA goes into further detail on how to protect citizens from abuses of power.

“The primary function of the Independent juror is not, as many think, to dispense punishment to fellow citizens accused of breaking various laws, but rather to protect fellow citizens from tyrannical abuses of power by government.

The Constitution guarantees you the right to trial by jury. This means that government must bring its case before a jury of The People if government wants to deprive any person of life, liberty, or property. Jurors can say no to government tyranny by refusing to convict.”

Currently FIJA bills have been introduced in Arizona, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and South Dakota.

With the decisions that have been rendered in New Hampshire and Minnesota, maybe it will unleash a trend in other states.

When the idea of jury nullification eventually becomes the norm (which may be wishful thinking) let’s hope caution is used by potential juries in order to prove the critics wrong.

For if discretion by jurors is not taken into consideration, then we could be on a slippery slope to this scenario: ”Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable,” Anonymous (does not refer to the group, but is from an unknown source).

Edited by Madison Ruppert

Did I forget anything or miss any errors? Would you like to make me aware of a story or subject to cover? Or perhaps you want to bring your writing to a wider audience? Feel free to contact me at admin@EndtheLie.com with your concerns, tips, questions, original writings, insults or just about anything that may strike your fancy.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Why does anyone make posts about this without this link?

http://fija.org/

donnay
10-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Why does anyone make posts about this without this link?

http://fija.org/

The link is hyperlinked under the authors-- By Brent Daggett (http://endthelie.com/2012/10/12/jury-nullification-continues-to-gain-traction-across-the-united-states/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EndTheLie+%28End+the+Lie%29)

Dr.3D
10-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Now it will probably happen that if someone is being held contrary to constitutional law, they won't get a trial at all and that means, there can be no jury nullification. This could be why NDAA was enacted. No trial, no nullification. The king gets his way anyway.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
The link is hyperlinked under the authors-- By Brent Daggett (http://endthelie.com/2012/10/12/jury-nullification-continues-to-gain-traction-across-the-united-states/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EndTheLie+%28End+the+Lie%29)

You told me where. I looked, and still couldn't find it. I know he mentions FIJA several times. Sigh.

Keith and stuff
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
It is awesome to see our great New Hampshire activism spreading to other states! Let's keep this ball rolling!

donnay
10-12-2012, 10:38 PM
You told me where. I looked, and still couldn't find it. I know he mentions FIJA several times. Sigh.

Oh I understand what you mean now. I thought you were talking about the thread I started. Yeah he does make references to FIJA but no link.

cindy25
10-12-2012, 10:46 PM
why is this never part of any platform?

Keith and stuff
10-12-2012, 10:51 PM
It is certainly part of party platforms. We had a bill as part of our party platforms in 2011 and 2012. In 2012, it became law in NH!

PaulConventionWV
10-13-2012, 05:46 AM
There is little relief in this environment of bad news today, but this gives me hope. It's the one very positive thing that I can see happening right now.

Lucille
10-13-2012, 08:13 AM
In the end, the drama with Knuckles seemed besides the point. The federal government was successful in quelling any discussion of medical marijuana laws, federalism, or jury nullification--all of which were specters looming over the case when they discussed it in open court while jurors were not present. In closing statements, the federal prosecutors were sure to emphasize to jurors that personal feelings, political beliefs, and morals do not matter. The law is the law.

One prosecutor instructed the jury "not to debate the law, but to apply the law (http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/12/can-juror-nullification-save-aaron-sandu)." If there was one important takeaway from the prosecution's closing, it was this phrase, emblazoned on one of their presentational slides: "Factual determination, not moral judgment."
[...]
So that's where we are with the drug war in California where, it bears repeating, medical marijuana is legal. Agents of the federal government are well aware that the tide of opinion has turned against marijuana prohibition, and prosecutors are reduced to devoting the majority of their closing statements not to convincing jurors that defendants are a danger to society but to admonishing jurors against daring to think about the moral justifications behind the law. Your job is not to consider right and wrong. Your job is to convict violators of the law. And that's exactly what they did today.

Jury nullification's not illegal in CA. Why doesn't the defense object and argue otherwise, and tell the jury, in the words of Chief Justice John Jay, "The jury has the right to judge both the law as well as the fact in controversy."

Keith and stuff
10-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Jury nullification's not illegal in CA. Why doesn't the defense object and argue otherwise, and tell the jury, in the words of Chief Justice John Jay, "The jury has the right to judge both the law as well as the fact in controversy."

Because the defense doesn't want to go to jail. Last I checked, using terms like jury nullification is a big no no in CA.

Keith and stuff
11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Jury Nullification Gaining Influence On Criminal Trials
By Ryan Conley, staff writer – November 1, 2012
http://www.seolawfirm.com/2012/11/jury-nullification-gaining-influence-on-criminal-trials/

...New Hampshire’s model jury instruction 3.17 lays out the power of jury nullification. In its model instructions to jurors, it reads, “Even if you find that the State has proven each and every element of the offense charged beyond a reasonable doubt, you may still find the defendant not guilty if you have a conscientious feeling that a not guilty verdict would be a fair result in this case.”

However, these instructions are not necessarily given to juries. The footnotes to the model instruction specify that “the existence of the jury nullification power does not mean that a jury must be informed by the judge of that power. Jury nullification is neither a right of the defendant nor a legal defense. … The trial court is vested with discretion to determine whether or not the facts of a particular case warrant such an instruction when it has been requested by a party.” [5]

HB 146 therefore strengthens jury nullification by ensuring that all juries in criminal cases will be informed of the power if the defense requests it.

But New Hampshire courts aren’t waiting for the law to take effect. In September, a jury there nullified a marijuana possession charge. Doug Darrell, a 59-year-old Rastafarian, was arrested in 2009 for felony possession of marijuana after a National Guard helicopter spotted the plant growing in his backyard. Darrell’s defense was based around the recently-signed HB 146. During the trial this past September, his attorney persuaded the judge to inform jurors of the power of jury nullification not once but twice. In less than six hours, the jury had returned a verdict of not guilty. [6]

Darrell may owe his freedom to Cathleen Converse, a self-described “straight-laced little old lady” who helped persuade her fellow jurors to nullify the case. Notably, Converse is a participant in the Free State Project (http://freestateproject.org/intro/ron_paul), the goal of which is to organize 20,000 limited-government activists to relocate to New Hampshire for the purpose of influencing law and government within the “Live Free or Die” state. The Free State Project helped secure the passage of HB 146 into law. [7]

The right of a juror to refuse to convict can affect a court’s ability even to seat a jury. In Missoula County, Montana, Touray Cornell was charged with possession of one sixteenth of an ounce of marijuana, or about 25 dollars’ worth. During the jury selection process, many of the potential jurors made it clear they were unwilling to convict Cornell of a crime for possession of such a small amount. The presiding judge asked for a show of hands to see who among the 27 potential jurors would be willing to convict. Five raised their hands. [8]

“I thought, ‘Geez, I don’t know if we can seat a jury,’” the judge said in an interview with The Missoulian. A recess was called, and prosecutors worked out a plea agreement with Cornell. [9]

Jurors need not disagree with the law in question to consider the option of nullification. In Brentwood, N.H., Larry Minassian, 53, was charged with criminal threatening and reckless conduct in a confrontation with police. In January, several police officers responded to a 911 call Minassian placed from his home. When they arrived, they found the defendant armed with a knife and uncooperative. Officers testified that they tried unsuccessfully for several minutes to get Minassian to disarm himself and that the man finally charged at them with the knife raised above his head. The officers shot Minassian, who survived. [10]

Defense attorneys asked the jurors to nullify the charges against Minassian, claiming that he was mentally ill and lacked the planning ability required to lure officers to his home with the intent to attack them. Ultimately, jurors rejected the option to nullify, and Minassian was convicted. [11]...

Anti Federalist
11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
This is good, very good.

With just a little more effort, NH could become a real trendsetter for the entire country.

Live Free or Die!

AFPVet
11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
This is great news!

The Goat
11-01-2012, 09:28 PM
A lot of people already know about nullification and agree with it. It has surprised me. All it takes is one person to take a leadership roll on a jury and push to nullify. Power to the people!

donnay
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Well hopefully I will get called soon since I am voting November 6th. :D

FrancisMarion
11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Interesting. I have never heard of this. I'm glad I know about it now.

I foresee more unsuccessful plea bargaining and even busier court dockets. Maybe when the courts are so busy with those seeking juries they will realize that there are too many laws.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Keith and stuff
11-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Interesting. I have never heard of this. I'm glad I know about it now.

I foresee more unsuccessful plea bargaining and even busier court dockets. Maybe when the courts are so busy with those seeking juries they will realize that there are too many laws.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

There is a lot of effort being put into that also.

The New Hampshire folks promote Don't Take the Plea [Deal]
They typically do this mostly at the court in Keene.
http://freekeene.com/2011/03/03/new-flyer-dont-take-the-plea-deal-now-for-nh-and-national/

http://freekeene.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dontplea.png

and here http://www.copblock.org/tag/dont-take-the-plea/

Somewhere else in the country people promote Nevertakeaplea.org http://nevertakeaplea.org/