PDA

View Full Version : Obama Quietly Extends National Emergency Declaration

Origanalist
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Obama Quietly Extends National Emergency Declaration, 11 Years After 9/11 Attacks

By Matt Cover

(CNSNews.com) – Eleven years later, President Obama has quietly extended the national emergency declaration first issued by former President George W. Bush after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York City and the Pentagon.

The declaration, which has to be reissued each year, invokes several war-time powers that give the president greater control of the military. Obama cited the continuing threat of a terrorist attack in justifying his decision to continue the now 11-year national emergency.

“The terrorist threat that led to the declaration on September 14, 2001, of a national emergency continues. For this reason, I have determined that it is necessary to continue in effect after September 14, 2012, the national emergency with respect to the terrorist threat,” Obama said September 11.

Despite the winding-down of the war in Afghanistan – originally launched in 2001 in retaliation for the 9/11 attacks – Obama has again granted himself special war-time powers by declaring that a national emergency still exists because of the attacks of 11 years ago.

Under federal law, a national emergency declaration lasts for only one year, meaning that the 9/11 national emergency has now been re-declared 10 times.

The powers re-invoked by President Obama all relate to the military and include the ability to suspend retirements and separations of military personnel, recall the Ready Reserve, activate recently-retired Coast Guard officers and personnel, and prohibit or regulate financial transactions with foreign entities involved in terrorism.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-quietly-extends-national-emergency-declaration-11-years-after-911-attacks

coastie
10-11-2012, 09:31 AM
AFter "getting into it" with the in-laws the other night re: "We gotta vote for Romney!!!", they are HARD core Bush/REPUBLICAN voters, I said to them

"I figured you guys would love Obama...I mean hell, which of Bush's policies has he stopped? He's EXPANDED every damn one of them!"

Them "We need to get Obama out, Romney's the only other one running that can win".

Me: "oh...I see now. So this really is about picking the winning team, not about any substantive change or what's best for your grand kids, roger that"

Them: .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......

sailingaway
10-11-2012, 09:48 AM
well, he'd have to to keep the pretence of martial law situation he is pushing under NDAA, wouldn't he?

Kylie
10-11-2012, 11:51 AM
AFter "getting into it" with the in-laws the other night re: "We gotta vote for Romney!!!", they are HARD core Bush/REPUBLICAN voters, I said to them

"I figured you guys would love Obama...I mean hell, which of Bush's policies has he stopped? He's EXPANDED every damn one of them!"

Them "We need to get Obama out, Romney's the only other one running that can win".

Me: "oh...I see now. So this really is about picking the winning team, not about any substantive change or what's best for your grand kids, roger that"

Them: .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......

I feel your pain, brother.

I have this argument with friends all the time. My family has given up and are now following me, since I'm the one who "knows it all". That, and they're sick of the rantings of my lunacy. :)

coastie
10-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I feel your pain, brother.

I have this argument with friends all the time. My family has given up and are now following me, since I'm the one who "knows it all". That, and they're sick of the rantings of my lunacy. :)

What sucks for me is, I had ALL these idiots voting for Ron Paul earlier this year. Now, principle goes out the window with them, and "We must beat Obama!!!!!!!)

Me: What policy differences are there between the two?

Them: :eek:.........................................."We must beat Obama!!!!!!!!!!":mad:

I seriously wished I lived during and died during the caveman days, for real.

awake
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
He isn't going to give up any power. What would be the point of becoming the President if you threw away perfectly good and abusive powers.