PDA

View Full Version : General 7-11 coffee cup poll currently predicting big Obama win

devil21
10-11-2012, 03:05 AM
I hadn't heard of this until CNBC just did a segment on it. I don't drink coffee. 7-11 convenience stores are selling coffee in separate coffee cups for Obama and Romney, color coded red and blue. There is no plain cup. They have been doing this for a while and it has correctly predicted the last three Presidential elections.

Current results:
60-40, in favor of Obama.

http://coffeemagazine.com/7-11-presidential-coffee-predictions/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/03/7-11-eleven-election-coffee-poll-obama-romney_n_1936571.html

Expatriate
10-11-2012, 03:31 AM
Interesting.

Hmm. What if I don't want to vote for either? Do I have to go somewhere else for coffee?

If they gave you a choice to pick a plain cup, I wonder if it would beat Obamney...

devil21
10-11-2012, 03:53 AM
One of the links says they did offer the "no preference" cup a few elections ago and that cup got about 60% of the totals. They've ceased using those cups, though the pres cups that time still predicted the relative vote percentage and winner. Apparently these cups don't just predict the winner but very closely match the final percentages too.

Expatriate
10-11-2012, 06:28 AM
One of the links says they did offer the "no preference" cup a few elections ago and that cup got about 60% of the totals. They've ceased using those cups, though the pres cups that time still predicted the relative vote percentage and winner. Apparently these cups don't just predict the winner but very closely match the final percentages too.

Guess that's why there's no "none of the above" option on ballots... if this poll is as accurate as they say then it would win with 60%

DeMintConservative
10-11-2012, 03:58 PM
They have "No preference/Undecided" cups. They just don't tally it.

It's fun to see a poll where Obama leads in Utah.

devil21
10-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Strange. Looks like the text has changed on the article. Oh well.

James Madison
10-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Mormons don't drink coffee (having caffeine and all).

dannno
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Interesting.

Hmm. What if I don't want to vote for either? Do I have to go somewhere else for coffee?

I think you can get a different size.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Sounds as scientific as the ol' "which candidate sold the most Halloween masks" article that is inevitably written every four years.

devil21
10-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Sounds as scientific as the ol' "which candidate sold the most Halloween masks" article that is inevitably written every four years.

They claim it's not scientific, but it has been right the last three elections.

kylejack
10-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Blue collar workers go to 7-11, white collar go to Starbucks. People who like good coffee go to a good local coffee shop. :D

fr33
10-11-2012, 10:00 PM
It's been a few years since I watched it but; was this in Idiocracy? Because it should have been.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
They claim it's not scientific, but it has been right the last three elections.

Yeah, but it's a 50-50 shot. There are only two viable candidates.

Remember how accurate the NFL Redskins Rule is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskins_Rule

devil21
10-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Yeah, but it's a 50-50 shot. There are only two viable candidates.

Remember how accurate the NFL Redskins Rule is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskins_Rule

Hitting the same red or black three times in a row on a roulette table is the same odds at 50/50. Doesn't happen often. Does happen but not often. Flip a coin three times in a row and tell me how often it goes headsx3 or tailsx3. Certainly not scientific but the odds are against it happening at random, especially with a bigger poll sample than most. Im personally putting a lot of weight on this poll. I like the odds. If a roulette table had three reds in a row, I'd bet red on the next one.

Tpoints
11-06-2012, 04:41 AM
do they take into account popular vs electoral? because that's an easy way to get it wrong in a tight race.