PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Stop and Frisk program recorded: "I'll Break Your F#*@ Arm!"

belian78
10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
This should probably go in Civil Liberties, but just wanted to get eyes on this as it needs to be spread around. I realize these citizens aren't all completely innocent, but this is just disgusting. Take your blood pressure meds before watching.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=320_1349824770

article:
http://www.thenation.com/article/170413/stopped-and-frisked-being-fking-mutt-video

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I'd show this to people, but can't do it with the shadow police person.

Anti Federalist
10-10-2012, 02:16 PM
So says a NYC cop caught on tape during a grossly illegal "stop and frisk" stop.

No, the term "police state" is not overused.

With this happening 1800 times a day in NYC alone, yes, it's a police state.

Of course, weak white people just mindless comply, so that would explain why they compare these stops to "getting stuck in traffic" rather than what they should treat them as:

A gross and outrageous affront to their liberty in addition to an uneeded, deadly dangerous encounter with an amped up LEO willing to CFC your ass to death.

Stopped-and-Frisked: 'For Being a F**king Mutt'

http://www.thenation.com/article/170413/stopped-and-frisked-being-fking-mutt-video

October 8, 2012

Exclusive audio obtained by The Nation of a stop-and-frisk carried out by the New York Police Department freshly reveals the discriminatory and unprofessional way in which this controversial policy is being implemented on the city’s streets.

On June 3, 2011, three plainclothes New York City Police officers stopped a Harlem teenager named Alvin and two of the officers questioned and frisked him while the third remained in their unmarked car. Alvin secretly captured the interaction on his cell phone, and the resulting audio is one of the only known recordings of stop-and-frisk in action.

In the course of the two-minute recording, the officers give no legally valid reason for the stop, use racially charged language and threaten Alvin with violence. Early in the stop, one of the officers asks, “You want me to smack you?” When Alvin asks why he is being threatened with arrest, the other officer responds, “For being a fucking mutt.” Later in the stop, while holding Alvin’s arm behind his back, the first officer says, “Dude, I’m gonna break your fuckin’ arm, then I’m gonna punch you in the fuckin’ face.”

“He grabbed me by my bookbag and he started pushing me down. So I’m going backwards like down the hill and he just kept pushing me, pushing me, it looked like he we was going to hit me,” Alvin recounts. “I felt like they was trying to make me resist or fight back.”

Alvin’s treatment at the hands of the officers may be disturbing but it is not uncommon. According to their own stop-and-frisk data, the NYPD stops more than 1,800 New Yorkers a day. A New York Times analysis recently determined that more than 20 percent of those stops involve the use of force. And these are only the numbers that the Department records. Anecdotal evidence suggests both figures are much higher.

In this video, exclusive to TheNation.com, Alvin describes his experience of the stop, and working NYPD officers come forward to explain the damage stop-and-frisk has done to their profession and their relationship to the communities they serve. The emphasis on racking up stops has also hindered what many officers consider to be the real work they should be doing on the streets. The video sheds unprecedented light on a practice, cheered on by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, that has put the city’s young people of color in the department’s crosshairs.

Those who haven’t experienced the policy first-hand “have likened Stops to being stuck in an elevator, or in traffic,” says Darius Charney, senior staff attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights. “This is not merely an inconvenience, as the Department likes to describe it. This is men with guns surrounding you in the street late at night when you’re by yourself. You ask why and they curse you out and rough you up.”

“The tape brings to light what so many New Yorkers have experienced in the shadows at the hands of the NYPD,” says Ben Jealous, President of the NAACP. “It is time for Mayor Bloomberg to come to grips with the scale of the damage his policies have inflicted on our children and their families. No child should have to grow up fearing both the cops and the robbers.”

“This audio confirms what we’ve been hearing from communities of color, again and again,” says Donna Lieberman, executive director of the NYCLU. “They are repeatedly subjected to abusive and disrespectful treatment at the hands of the NYPD. This explains why so many young people don’t trust the police and won’t help the police,” she adds. “It’s not good for law enforcement and not good for the individuals who face this harassment.”

The audio also betrays the seeming arbitrariness of stops and the failure of some police officers to fully comprehend or be able to articulate a clear motivation for carrying out a practice they’re asked to repeat on a regular basis.

And, according to Charney, the only thing the police officers do with clarity during this stop is announce its unconstitutionality.

“We’ve long been claiming that, under this department’s administration, if you’re a young black or Latino kid, walking the street at night you’re automatically a suspicious person,” says Charney, who is leading a class-action lawsuit challenging the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk practices. “The police deny those claims, when asked. ‘No, that’s not the reason we’re stopping them.’ But they’re actually admitting it here [on the audio recording]. The only reason they give is: ‘You were looking back at us…’ That does not rise to the level of reasonable suspicion, and there’s a clear racial animus when they call him a ‘mutt.’”

The audio was recently played at a meeting of The Morris Justice Project, a group of Bronx residents who have organized around the issue of stop-and-frisk and have been compiling data on people’s interactions with police. Jackie Robinson, mother of two boys, expected not to be surprised when told about the contents of the recording. “It’s stuff we’ve all heard before,” she said at the gathering. Yet Robinson visibly shuddered at one of the audio’s most violent passages. She had heard plenty about these encounters, but had never actually listened to one in action.

“As a mother, it bothers you,” says Robinson. “The police are the ones we’re supposed to turn to when something bad happens. Of all the things I have to worry about when my kids walk out the door, I don’t want to have to worry about them being harmed by the police. It makes you feel like you can’t protect your children. Something has to be done.”

Officers who carry out such belligerent stops face little accountability under the NYPD’s current structure. The department is one of New York City’s last agencies to operate without independent oversight, leaving officers with no safe place to file complaints about police practice and systemic problems.

“An independent inspector general would be in a position to review NYPD policies and practices—like the recorded stop-and-frisk shown here—to see whether the police are violating New Yorkers’ rights and whether the program is in fact yielding benefits,” says the Brennan Center’s Faiza Patel. “An inspector general would not hinder the NYPD’s ability to fight crime, but would help build a stronger, more effective force.”

NYPD spokespeople have said that stop-and-frisk is necessary to keep crime down and guns off the street. But those assertions are increasingly being contradicted by the department’s own officers, who are beginning to speak out about a pervasive culture of number-chasing.

Two officers from two different precincts in two separate boroughs spoke to The Nation about the same types of pressures put on officers to meet numerical goals or face disciplinary action and retaliation. Most chillingly, both officers use the word “hunt” when describing the relentless quest for summonses, stops and arrests.

“The civilian population, they’re being hunted by us,” says an officer with more than ten years on the job. “Instead of being protected by us, they’re being hunted and we’re being hated.”

The focus on numbers, and the rewards for those who meet quotas has created an atmosphere, another veteran officer says, in which cops compete to see who can get the highest numbers, and it can lead to the kind of arbitrary stop that quickly became violent in this recording.

“It’s really bad,” says the officer after listening to the audio recording. “It’s not a good thing at all. But it’s really common, I’m sorry to say. It doesn’t have to be like that.”

Lieberman from the NYCLU agrees: “It’s time for the Mayor and the Police Commissioner to stop trying to scare New Yorkers into accepting this kind of abuse, and to recognize that there is a problem.”

Lucille
10-10-2012, 02:28 PM
"We're going to go out there, and we're going to violate some rights."

We know. It's how the police state goons roll.

http://gawker.com/5950334/secret-recording-of-nypd-stop+and+frisk-uncovered-im-gonna-break-your-fuckin-arm

Alvin secretly recorded their interaction, and he captured the cops calling him a "fuckin' mutt"; threatening to smack him, break his arm, and punch him in the face; and mocking his dad for being a traffic cop. At multiple points in the tape, you can hear Alvin being jostled as the police manhandle him, constantly demanding he "shut the fuck up" for asking simple questions about why they were detaining him.
[...]
And yet stop-and-frisk is allowed to persist. It's just the cops doing their job: To serve, protect, and threaten to break teenagers' arms.

And yet, those gawker progs will still vote for Nanny Bloomberg for mayor.

Ronulus
10-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Just reinforces my thought of the police as a legal version of the mob. You have to pay them for protection, except now instead of them illegally doing it, you are forced or punished by the law. They don't 'protect' us. Same as the mob.

dillo
10-10-2012, 03:06 PM
has scotus read this?

VoluntaryAmerican
10-10-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7rWtDMPaRD8#!

This video is unbelievable.

youngbuck
10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Those pigs should have the shit beat out of them and then thrown in prison for a good, long time.

BenIsForRon
10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
That cop has some serious emotional issues. He's not fit for most lines of work, much less law enforcement.

Feeding the Abscess
10-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Who was the cop, Fred Durst?

MikeStanart
10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
There's not enough rope.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Ya know, I know the cop might be real... but can someone so inclined make a video without the shadow cop?

I would do it... might even pay someone to do it, but I don't have the skill to do it myself. The kid is probably real, but I'd hate to be wrong on that one too. Even though this could be 100% true, I have BS detectors going off. I'd like to get rid of those concerns and then spread this everywhere.

Anti Federalist
10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Ya know, I know the cop might be real... but can someone so inclined make a video without the shadow cop?

I would do it... might even pay someone to do it, but I don't have the skill to do it myself. The kid is probably real, but I'd hate to be wrong on that one too. Even though this could be 100% true, I have BS detectors going off. I'd like to get rid of those concerns and then spread this everywhere.

It was audio only.

A link is at the OP.

tod evans
10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
There's not enough rope.

http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

TheTexan
10-10-2012, 06:26 PM
has scotus read this?

Do you really want them to? They'd probably affirm its constitutionality

ClydeCoulter
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
There's not enough rope.

Hence the need for Hemp growing :D

belian78
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Now that I've had time to calm down and think about this, I'm still upset at the brazen hostility from the pigs, but if the general public in NYC sees this regularly and it doesnt galvanize them to action... what will? I mean, I'd be going to jail or worse.

paulbot24
10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
If the kid is a "mutt", what does that make the cop who is acting like that? Oh, and the last time I checked, by now, after all these generations, we are all "mutts." We can use things like this with our Liberty messsage which already bring people together to destroy the "divide and conquer" strategy that has enslaved all of us (mutts) for ages.

Henry Rogue
10-10-2012, 07:36 PM
O'er the Land of the Free and the home of the Brave? More like the land of the harassed, intimidated, oppressed, abused, and home of the oblivious, fearful, fed up.

PaulConventionWV
10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
This should probably go in Civil Liberties, but just wanted to get eyes on this as it needs to be spread around. I realize these citizens aren't all completely innocent, but this is just disgusting. Take your blood pressure meds before watching.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=320_1349824770

article:

Serves him right for carrying a hoodie around. People should know better than to own hoodies.

Now excuse me while I go burn all my high school track team hoodies.

PaulConventionWV
10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

Christ, is this the new "Dey took er jerbs!" slogan? Why do we respond to rope comments with other rope comments? It's a little redundant.

Tudo
10-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I like the freedom of information thing and I believe that all there home addresses, numbers, contact info for relatives etc for all these types of people should be posted on the internet. Maybe you know who we are,but we know who you are.:)

jclay2
10-10-2012, 11:32 PM
The numbers of this program are just a little on the frightening side. 1800/day! So you are talking 650,000 unlawful searches a year!

aGameOfThrones
10-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Stop you for liberty and Frisk you for freedom.

mport1
10-11-2012, 12:02 AM
These gang members (commonly known as "police") are getting more and more out of control by the day. We must continue to spread the word about the actions of these criminal gang members so people know to avoid them at all costs. Most people still think that cops are good people who are there to protect us.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Christ, is this the new "Dey took er jerbs!" slogan? Why do we respond to rope comments with other rope comments? It's a little redundant.

Rep+

I'm not too keen on this type of rhetoric, either.

Anti Federalist
10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Rep+

I'm not too keen on this type of rhetoric, either.

Well thought out and polite letters listing grievances are much better.

Anti Federalist
10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Now that I've had time to calm down and think about this, I'm still upset at the brazen hostility from the pigs, but if the general public in NYC sees this regularly and it doesnt galvanize them to action... what will? I mean, I'd be going to jail or worse.

Nothing will.

In fact, when the time comes, these same people will be happily reporting on and denouncing you to "authority".

VoluntaryAmerican
10-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Well thought out and polite letters listing grievances are much better.

Nope, waste of time.

These cops deserve to be in jail, like any common thug.

Lucille
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
The Hunted And The Hated: An Inside Look At The NYPD’s Stop-and-Frisk Policy
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-20/hunted-and-hated-inside-look-nypd%E2%80%99s-stop-and-frisk-policy

When I came into this police force I wanted to help people, but the civilian population, they’re being hunted. They’re being hunted and we’re being hated.
- NYPD Officer on the Department’s Feudal “Stop and Frisk” Policy

This video should be required viewing for every single American citizen.