PDA

View Full Version : Jack Hunter: Obama won't reduce the deficit and neither will Romney

LibertyEagle
10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/imager/b/story/4202183/e2c5/jackhunter.jpeg

Obama won't reduce the deficit and neither will Romney
Mitt Gets an F in Math

by Jack Hunter

In 2008, I thought John McCain deserved to lose, but this did not mean I believed Barack Obama deserved to win. What McCain represented was four more years of George W. Bush-style "conservatism," and that meant an increase in the size of government and more spending. Voters rightly saw McCain as an extension of Bush and rejected his brand of Republicanism.

In 2012, I believe Barack Obama deserves to lose. Everything I detested about Bush, Obama has expanded upon. Today, the debt is even larger, the federal government is even bigger, the executive branch is even more powerful, and both the entitlement and "national security" states have grown.

Despite having an edge in the polls, Obama's actual approval rating is not high. Many, perhaps a majority, of Americans would like to reject Obama. However, they are just not sure Mitt Romney deserves to win. I share their concerns.

In their first debate, Romney kicked Obama's ass. This is not debatable. After all, when liberals like MSNBC's Chris Matthews are angrily frothing at the mouth over Obama's lackluster showing, the winner is clear. The winner of a debate is generally the person who sounded better, looked better, spoke with more authority, and commanded more respect. In essence, the winner is the candidate who comes across as more presidential. And that was Romney.

But there was one thing that Romney and his winning personality promised on Wednesday night that the hard numbers indicate he cannot deliver: he cannot reduce the deficit with his plan. If Obama said anything that was true, it was this: "When you add up all the loopholes and deductions that upper-income individuals are currently taking advantage of, you don't come close to paying for $5 trillion in tax cuts and $2 trillion in additional military spending." He later added, "It's math, arithmetic."

Read the rest.... (http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/obama-wont-reduce-the-deficit-and-neither-will-romney/Content?oid=4202181)

Zippyjuan
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
The deficit has actually gone down (deficit- this year's shortages- not the debt most certainly, that continues to grow)- the first Obama budget was for 2010 (2009 was under George Bush) and the deficit that year was $1.3 trillion. The expected shortfall for this year is $1.1 trillion. But is this credit to Obama or Bush? No. Congress writes all spending bills- not the president (though he can suggest). Another factor has been the gridlock in Congress which has made it difficult to get things passed. Based on their proposals though, I would expect spending under Romney to be higher than under another Obama term.

Aratus
10-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Jack Hunter is being quite logical and direct. He does not sugar coat this.
Mitt Romney is dissatisfied at the way BHO is dealing with Iran and Syria.

ctiger2
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
The deficit has actually gone down

The deficit going down is actually just the fed monetizing a larger %.