PDA

View Full Version : [Mod note: EU was awarded the Peace Prize this time] Ron Paul: Nobel Peace Prize Laureate

ChrisDixon
10-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Ron Paul: Nobel Peace Prize Laureate|
By Chris Dixon

"Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) has become one of the most interesting individuals in modern politics. He not only brought previously untouched issues to the forefront of mainstream discourse, but also assembled a new force of political activists who are likely to remain influential for years to come. While his 2008 presidential campaign concluded with little success, it helped spawn a movement that transitioned into the Campaign For Liberty. The 2012 presidential campaign was a different story, as a delegate-focused strategy led to most state conventions being showdowns between the grassroots and establishment, ending with the Republican National Convention being a tense battleground. While Congressman Paul never became President, he has become a figure who will not be forgotten and his supporters will carry on this torch through the future of American politics.

The Paul grassroots have another plan in mind: Paul winning the Nobel Peace Prize. An Internet movement is slowly building to urge consideration with hopes of their hero being honored for his service to the cause of peace."

"Ron Paul has been a leader for freedom in America and peace abroad. He embodies the principles the founding fathers gave to America, by believing we should lead by example and not force. The use of arms to accomplish the goals of liberty does not produce liberty, but rather tyranny, even when executed with good intentions. By standing in opposition of war, resisting the propaganda that comes leads to it, and showing a willingness to work with individuals across the aisle to accomplish his goals, Paul has proved himself as a leader for common sense and humanity. He is a true American and a sincere human being, certainly an individual deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize."

More at link:

http://undercoverporcupine.bangordailynews.com/2012/10/10/politics/ron-paul-nobel-peace-prize-laureate

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Is the place the petitions are going to any relationship to the process for Nobel prize? I think it is a great idea and might give the prize back some legitimacy, but I would love some reassurance that this was a realistic action plan.

ChrisDixon
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Is the place the petitions are going to any relationship to the process for Nobel prize? I think it is a great idea and might give the prize back some legitimacy, but I would love some reassurance that this was a realistic action plan.

I personally haven't seen anything beyond the change.org petition, but it doesn't mean we can't work towards something realistic.

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I personally haven't seen anything beyond the change.org petition, but it doesn't mean we can't work towards something realistic.

I'm definitely open to that.

SilenceDewgooder
10-10-2012, 07:52 AM
For what its worth

Ron Paul, Walter Block, and I Are Nominated for Nobel Prizes
Posted by Lew Rockwell on October 9, 2012 07:43 AM
Thomas Sowell and Israel Kirzner, too. Thanks to the estimable Bob Wenzel!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/122761.html

ChrisDixon
10-10-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm definitely open to that.

As am I, hence the push. :)

With all the grassroots vets here, I'm hoping to get some input on how to go about achieving this. Something solid and realistic.

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 08:03 AM
As am I, hence the push. :)

With all the grassroots vets here, I'm hoping to get some input on how to go about achieving this. Something solid and realistic.

OK, here's the official site: http://www.nobelprize.org/

and here is a wiki article on how it is awarded: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

Nominations
Nomination forms are sent by the Nobel Committee to about 3000 individuals, usually in September the year before the prizes are awarded. These individuals are often academics working in a relevant area. For the Peace Prize, inquiries are sent to governments, members of international courts, professors and rectors, former Peace Prize laureates and current or former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee. The deadline for the return of the nomination forms is 31 January of the year of the award.[44][45] The Nobel Committee nominates about 300 potential laureates from these forms and additional names.[46] The nominees are not publicly named, nor are they told that they are being considered for the prize. All nomination records for a prize are sealed for 50 years from the awarding of the prize.[47][48]
[edit]Selection
The Nobel Committee then prepares a report reflecting the advice of experts in the relevant fields. This, along with the list of preliminary candidates, is submitted to the prize-awarding institutions.[49] The institutions meet to choose the laureate or laureates in each field by a majority vote. Their decision, which cannot be appealed, is announced immediately after the vote.[50] A maximum of three laureates and two different works may be selected per award. Except for the Peace Prize, which can be awarded to institutions, the awards can only be given to individuals.[51] If the Peace Prize is not awarded, the money is split among the scientific prizes. This has happened 19 times so far.[52]

apparently the peace prize is awarded by the Nobel committee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Nobel_Committee

so, let's not spam them but let's get our thinking caps on....

cajuncocoa
10-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Wow! That's so awesome!!

ChrisDixon
10-10-2012, 08:14 AM
OK, here's the official site: http://www.nobelprize.org/

and here is a wiki article on how it is awarded: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

apparently the peace prize is awarded by the Nobel committee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Nobel_Committee

so, let's not spam them but let's get our thinking caps on....

Agreed, spamming them would be bad...especially if we get some unfavorable people overflowing their inbox with weak arguments.

Perhaps we could some leaders of the movement to reach out...perhaps legislators who endorsed Ron Paul? Make it official, make it big, and have it come from someone who would know what they're doing.

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Agreed, spamming them would be bad...especially if we get some unfavorable people overflowing their inbox with weak arguments.

Perhaps we could some leaders of the movement to reach out...perhaps legislators who endorsed Ron Paul? Make it official, make it big, and have it come from someone who would know what they're doing.

I like that, once we get a credible game plan, perhaps we could pitch Amash, for example. Or Walter Jones. Or both.

Carlybee
10-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Try to get the European Ron Paul fans in on it too

Bern
10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Uh... This is the same Nobel Peace Prize that Obama "won"? It's a frigging joke and lost a lot of it's former luster. Not sure it's worth lobbying ivory tower voters with political agendas of their own. $.02

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Uh... This is the same Nobel Peace Prize that Obama "won"? It's a frigging joke and lost a lot of it's former luster. Not sure it's worth lobbying ivory tower voters with political agendas of their own. $.02

Ron could give them back some legitimacy.

I just like him winning prizes. It is a pretty 'one world' organization as I understand it, which might impact the likelihood of Ron getting it, but I sure think it should be his. And it comes with money.

adisongrace
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Ron could give them back some legitimacy.

I just like him winning prizes. It is a pretty 'one world' organization as I understand it, which might impact the likelihood of Ron getting it, but I sure think it should be his. And it comes with money.

I agree with you 100%! The "peace" prize is like every other part the globalist system that can be changed.
If we refuse to even attempt change, we have already lost.

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I agree with you 100%! The "peace" prize is like every other part the globalist system that can be changed.
If we refuse to even attempt change, we have already lost.

I'm thinking it would be kind of funny for Ron to get this award, in that it would actually be accurate. Sort of like our version of Jackson being put onto the $20 bill, or this:

http://p.twimg.com/AxZ3bgQCEAA2vXq.jpg:large

Seriously, though, I'd love for Ron to get it, I just don't know how to influence it in any way.

jmdrake
10-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I think Ron Paul winning being nominated to win a Nobel Peace prize would be wonderful, well deserved, and about as likely as him winning the nomination of the RNC and the DNC simultaneously to be POTUS.

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I think Ron Paul winning being nominated to win a Nobel Peace prize would be wonderful, well deserved, and about as likely as him winning the nomination of the RNC and the DNC simultaneously to be POTUS.

Yeah, well, and we put no work into that at all......

jmdrake
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, well, and we put no work into that at all......

Hey, I'll sign the petition. I'll even get a "Ron Paul deserves a peace prize" bumper sticker. But when I read the requirements you posted, that we have to get governments (heads of state?), former Nobel peace prize recipients (Al Gore, Barack Obama?), professors (mostly liberal) and rectors (unsure if that's religious or academic rectors) on board....it made me wonder about our chances. But hey, sign me up for a "Give Ron Paul the peace prize or admit it's a fraud" t-shirt!

sailingaway
10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Hey, I'll sign the petition. I'll even get a "Ron Paul deserves a peace prize" bumper sticker. But when I read the requirements you posted, that we have to get governments (heads of state?), former Nobel peace prize recipients (Al Gore, Barack Obama?), professors (mostly liberal) and rectors (unsure if that's religious or academic rectors) on board....it made me wonder about our chances. But hey, sign me up for a "Give Ron Paul the peace prize or admit it's a fraud" t-shirt!

I am also not holding my breath, but that t shirt sounds like a challenge that should be made to that group, in any event...

jllundqu
10-10-2012, 03:52 PM
That would be such a bitch slap to Obama and Romney.... I'm in!