PDA

View Full Version : Cracked article about the NDAA...

realtonygoodwin
10-09-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/ndaa-biggest-election-issue-no-ones-talking-about/

You don't have to live alone in the woods, reading issues of Guns and Ammo and co-writing your manifesto with beard lice, to be terrified about the state of basic freedoms in America today. Given the counterterrorism provisions in the fairly recent National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 (NDAA), we currently live in a country where the government can pick up American citizens and detain them indefinitely without access to a lawyer or even a criminal trial. That means locked up forever without even the basic protections we afford to rapists and murderers.

"That can't be right," you say. "Such a power would be completely unconstitutional!"

And you're right. Even President Obama said he had "serious reservations with certain provisions [of the bill] that regulate the detention, interrogation and prosecution of suspected terrorists." And then he signed it.

NIU Students for Liberty
10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
There's a reason why I subscribed to their magazine when I was a kid as opposed to Mad.

sailingaway
10-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I showed my Dad the text of NDAA on my phone, on the thomas.gov site. He said 'you can't believe everything you see on the internet.'

Origanalist
10-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I showed my Dad the text of NDAA on my phone, on the thomas.gov site. He said 'you can't believe everything you see on the internet.'

Ummmm...........

liberty2897
10-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Well, I can't say I would trust something coming from a .gov site either... That damn internet is just a series of tubes... sometimes they get clogged up. And misinformation is spread as a result... especially when the source is a .gov tube.

fr33
10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I showed my Dad the text of NDAA on my phone, on the thomas.gov site. He said 'you can't believe everything you see on the internet.'My dad says "if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about". Nevermind that just stockpiling food, investing in precious metals, and other smart actions lands you on a hit list.

Mr. Perfidy
10-10-2012, 01:11 AM
immediately plunder his resources and leave lol

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-10-2012, 09:02 AM
My dad says "if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about". Nevermind that just stockpiling food, investing in precious metals, and other smart actions lands you on a hit list.

The sheep will be trimmed first. They always are.

Lucille
10-10-2012, 09:29 AM
My dad says "if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about". Nevermind that just stockpiling food, investing in precious metals, and other smart actions lands you on a hit list.

"Jesus was innocent. Gandhi was innocent. Innocence has nothing to do with it."
--Doug Wead (paraphrased)

Tiger35
10-10-2012, 09:31 AM
I get that "Can't believe what you read on the net" crap all the time. I wish I had a witty retort. Anyone?

jbauer
10-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I get that "Can't believe what you read on the net" crap all the time. I wish I had a witty retort. Anyone?
Can't believe what you see on Fox news?

Lucille
10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
as a lifelong Democrat

No doubt this guy has supported all of the left's gun-grabbing ways for all of his life. Think he's had a revelation yet on the II?

Mr. Perfidy
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM

well depending on what you are claiming, mention a different media, duh. "I read that in the (blah blah blah) actually." Depending on the level of smugness of their dismissal, season with profanity. "I actually read that in the (blah blah blah), asshole," or, "I actually read that in the (blah blah blah), so suckle Mrs. Doubtfire's nutsack, bitch."

I think though in general, arguing with people is just pointless. Argument has a like a specific art that is only even possible for certain kinds of personalities- most people are not convinced by facts and do not make assertions based on any scientific method, but rather are trying to demonstrate their loyalty to this or that authority figure or respected claim-maker.