PDA

View Full Version : Big Bird Isn't the Problem

WhistlinDave
10-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi guys, I've been busy with other things so I haven't been on the forum lately, but I just wrote this blog post and wanted to share it with you all.

TheWhistlingFool.com/big-bird-is-not-the-problem (http://www.empowernetwork.com/thewhistlingfool/blog/big-bird-isnt-the-problem/?id=thewhistlingfool)

I'm sure my Libertarian take on the whole Romney wanting to "kill" Big Bird situation is nothing new for most people here, but I thought you might enjoy reading it anyway. Feedback is welcome.

Aratus
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM
neat opine

farreri
10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Republicans have to stop acting like PBS is the first (partially) publicly funded service they are going to cut if they are going to change minds on it.

DeMintConservative
10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
1 - Romney obviously doesn't think that defunding PBS is going to solve anything and never claimed so. It was as more of a side note because Leherer was moderating the debate and an example of the type of unnecessary discretionary spending he'd immediately cut.

2 - From a political standpoint, it's important to attack this kind of spending because it's extremely hard to convince people of the need to reform entitlement programs as long as we're spending money subsidizing puppets.

3 - Defense cut themselves aren't going to solve anything either. Heck, you could cut the entire discretionary spending and in a few years the government would still be running a deficit. So, there's a difference of magnitude, but what you wrote about Big Bird could be written about the Pentagon as well.

WhistlinDave
10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. farreri, I agree with you. DeMintConservative, very good points. I do think there is a difference in more than just magnitude though, because I think that the problem with military spending is, there seems to be no end to the amount they can spend, or the number of conflicts we can get ourselves involved in, and so from that standpoint--and I didn't go into this in my blog post, but--I think the war profiteering goes hand in hand with the Fed endlessly printing more fiat currency to keep the gears of war turning.

So I see the endless wars as a primary cause of the debasement of our currency over time. This blog post was written for the average reader (I mean average non-Libertarian), and so I didn't want to mention the Fed without explaining all the mechanics of the Fed creating currency out of thin air with debt attached and all of that, because I didn't want to make it that long. (I felt like if I mentioned the Fed then I'd have to try to educate people on the Fed in more detail for it all to make sense, and it was already long enough; that's another topic for another day.)

Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate it very much!

fr33
10-09-2012, 11:13 PM
NPR and PBS need to be cut off. It wouldn't be my first choice in cuts but I do support such defunding. NPR and PBS would still be profitable without federal funding.

If Romney had a free market bone in his body, which he does not, he would have criticized the FCC monopoly on radio programs. Instead he chose to tell us that markets must be regulated. He is the white Obama. Skin color is the only difference between Romney and Obama. Thankfully I'm not a bigot like so much of the GOP is.

Aratus
10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
WhistlinDave is correct about what our "endless wars" will keep on doing to our greenbacks