PDA

View Full Version : The Right To Not Be Offended?

tangent4ronpaul
10-09-2012, 08:47 AM
http://blogs.voanews.com/digital-frontiers/2012/09/30/regulating-the-sacred-and-the-profane/

Eltahawy, who considers the ad hate propaganda, had had enough. She took a can of pink spray paint from her bag and began covering over Geller’s work. What she didn’t expect is that Geller supporter Pamela Hall was nearby doing an interview for local television. Hall thrust herself in between the ad and Eltahawy, and a argument ensued. “Mona, you think you have a right to do this?” asked Hall.”I do, actually,” Eltahawy shot back; “I think this is freedom of expression just as this (the ad) is freedom of expression.” A fight ensued; not long after two uniformed policemen put Eltahawy in handcuffs and arrested her. (She’s since been released.)

Initially, the Metropolitan Transport Authority barred the ads; however U.S. district judge Paul Engelmayer ruled that the ads were protected speech under the Constitution’s First Amendment. ”Our hands are tied,” said an MTA spokesperson. “Under our existing ad standards as modified by the injunction, the MTA is required to run the ad.”

Also under existing MTA rules, defacing any approved ad is an act of vandalism and graffiti, a misdemeanor, which is exactly what Eltahawy was charged with before being released. Which pretty much should have ended that story.

But in this small confrontation, we can see many aspects of the much larger and more troublesome conflicts triggered by those Internet clips of the movie titled “Innocence of Muslims” still churning. Such as: what constitutes free speech? When can hateful speech be banned, and what is an appropriate reaction to speech one finds repellent? And who decides such things?

“My right not to be offended and insulted overrides a scoundrel’s right to malign the Prophet of Islam in order to satisfy his sick Islamophobia,” writes journalist Khalid Amayreh in an online post. That heartfelt sentiment, while it wouldn’t pass muster in a U.S. court, appears to be one many Muslims are embracing. In other words, a new right: The Right To Not Be Offended.

At this week’s U.N. General Assembly, Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is leading efforts to have all Muslim nations back “international legal regulations against attacks on what people deem sacred,” (although who exactly would make that call is unclear.) Wasting no time at home, Turkish Minister Egeman Bagis told TRT TV “we have now begun working on making insults against (holy) values a crime against humanity upon directives by Prime Minister Erdogan.”

Speaking Saturday with The Washington Post, Yemeni President Abed Rabbog Mansour Hadi echoed this theme, saying “It should not be understood that freedom of expression is freedom of attacking other’s faith.”

Except that it is. At least, as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

(more at link)

While we are at it, can we kick all this PC BS out of our school system?

And nativity scenes and the banning of the word Christmas in favor of "Happy Holliday", etc.

-t

LibertyEagle
10-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah, that's crap. It's the same type of thing someone posted this morning about the police stopping some people preaching in a public park, under the guise that some people didn't like it.

It seems like a move towards fascism, is what it seems like to me.

Note: What am I saying... "a move"? Hell, we already have fascism-lite.

Mr. Perfidy
10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Such sentiment doesn't begin or end or require government action; literally everywhere that I have ever worked (as in, was forced to interact with the heathens that otherwise would never have cause to even know my name), I have been told that I cannot say this or that or discuss a given topic with customers or co-workers. It is ALWAYS an arbitrary topic or series of topics that is meant to shield the fragile ignorance of the pretending-to-be-powerful from the truth of my argument. The fact that other employees are allowed, even encouraged, to speak on THE SAME ISSUES (but their opinions parrot orthodox conformity) demonstrates this quite clearly.

Remember people that 1 out of 2 men you meet have a smaller than average dick. Thus you are denied expression.

acptulsa
10-09-2012, 09:13 AM
From the article: 'Such as: what constitutes free speech? When can hateful speech be banned, and what is an appropriate reaction to speech one finds repellent? And who decides such things?'

This little speech offends the hell out of me. It offends me because it's just the MSM once again deflecting and misdirecting the discussion away from the core of the issue. And as far as I'm concerned, the core of the issue is this: Should those with the most money enjoy the 'free' speech which is the loudest and easiest to hear? Does that even still qualify as 'free' speech? Because as long as it does, and as long as we're deflected from having this conversation, the corporations will always put their crap over. Whatever or however ugly it is.

The corporation with the biggest advertising budget getting the most name recognition is a part of the free market. If they spend so much on advertising that the product suffers, they'll pay the price. But the corporation with the biggest advertising budget getting to define who is subhuman? No wonder the Military Industrial Complex runs the nation.

Mr. Perfidy
10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah I do not understand the issue really- if kids put up the exact same poster, there would be national outcry about hateful vandalism of bigoted teen-aged hate-gangs lol. Has to be a run-up to some more egregious legislative control of talking and thinking.