PDA

View Full Version : Lunch lady slammed for food that is 'too good' (seriously)

AlexAmore
10-07-2012, 05:38 AM
A talented head cook at a school in central Sweden has been told to stop baking fresh bread and to cut back on her wide-ranging veggie buffets because it was unfair that students at other schools didn't have access to the unusually tasty offerings.

"A menu has been developed... It is about making a collective effort on quality, to improve school meals overall and to try and ensure everyone does the same," Katarina Lindberg, head of the unit responsible for the school diet scheme, told the local Falukuriren newspaper.

From now on, the school's vegetable buffet will be halved in size and Eriksson's handmade loafs will be replaced with store-bought bread.

http://www.thelocal.se/43656/20121006/

tod evans
10-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Lowest common denominator.

MelissaCato
10-07-2012, 06:34 AM
It's funny this came up - I watch that TV program regularly called Chopped on the food network. Just the other day 4 school cafeteria ladies competed against 1 another to make school food from scratch for the students. And the winner receives 10,000 dollars towards making more healthy homemade school lunches. The judges even discuss during the show that school lunches are crap. Hoping that Chopped will help change the way cafeteria ladies make/serve school lunches.

kathy88
10-07-2012, 06:35 AM
It's funny this came up - I watch that TV program regularly called Chopped on the food network. Just the other day 4 school cafeteria ladies competed against 1 another to make school food from scratch for the students. And the winner receives 10,000 dollars towards making more healthy homemade school lunches. The judges even discuss during the show that school lunches are crap. Hoping that Chopped will help change the way cafeteria ladies make/serve school lunches.

Yup. Once reality TV gets a hold of it it will be legit :)

acptulsa
10-07-2012, 06:37 AM
No, socialized education and socialized medicine and socialized everything else doesn't lead straight to mediocrity. How could you possibly think that? Couldn't happen. Doesn't make sense. When it does happen, how could anyone predict it?

angelatc
10-07-2012, 07:57 AM

I'd really rather see them do away with school lunches. Brown bagging is cheaper, and puts the cost right where it should be.

The institutional food is crap.

tod evans
10-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I'd really rather see them do away with school lunches. Brown bagging is cheaper, and puts the cost right where it should be.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

amy31416
10-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Even though my mother couldn't cook that well, the lunches she made me were 10x better than the school ones that I occasionally ended up eating. Makes me rather nostalgic for soup out of a thermos.

AGRP
10-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Silly talk. Next thing you know people will be thinking they could educate their own kids.

phill4paul
10-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Even though my mother couldn't cook that well, the lunches she made me were 10x better than the school ones that I occasionally ended up eating. Makes me rather nostalgic for soup out of a thermos.

My mom used to make tomato soup for the thermos. Then she'd warm a hog dog, tie a piece of dental floss around it, lower it into the Thermos and screw the cap on. A hot dog bun and condiments on the side. At lunch time I would just hold the floss unscrew the cap and pull the hot dog out. A hot dog and tomato soup for lunch. One of my favourites.

opal
10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I had good school lunches in middle school - same school system for elementary through highschool.. lots of different buildings on campus. Elementary school lunches, I really don't recall - high school was pretty much crap but the middle school.. best turkey noodle soup ever! If I remember that soup now in my 50's.. it had to be pretty tasty.
Other good things were egg salad - they used hellmans mayo.. good pickle relish too, tomato soup, not from campbells - they actually used tomato paste and cooked other things in it.. rice.. noodles etc. They baked bread twice a week (rolls and loaves) grilled cheese on fresh bread was good and we had a salad bar of sorts - not self serve but a lot of variety. The non-bread baking days were pizza / mac n cheese (baked) and well Friday was fish sticks or shake n bake kind of chicken products so I guess that kind of dropped the week off on a low note.
Our home ec classes had to have a week in the school kitchen so everybody that had home ec knew what went into making quantity lunches - and what they used

Meatwasp
10-07-2012, 08:58 AM

Your are right on Kiddo.

Meatwasp
10-07-2012, 09:01 AM
My mom used to make tomato soup for the thermos. Then she'd warm a hog dog, tie a piece of dental floss around it, lower it into the Thermos and screw the cap on. A hot dog bun and condiments on the side. At lunch time I would just hold the floss unscrew the cap and pull the hot dog out. A hot dog and tomato soup for lunch. One of my favourites.
I loved this. Thanks

kathy88
10-07-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaLJPjLIdRQ&feature=player_detailpage

angelatc
10-07-2012, 09:42 AM

The problem with that is they don't make good Thermoses (Thermi?) any more. The glass lined type kept food super hot, but the cheap things they sell now don't work. I used to buy old glass thermoses from eBay when my kids were carrying their lunches. They loved being the only kids who had steaming hot Spaghetti-o's :) .

phill4paul
10-07-2012, 10:14 AM
The problem with that is they don't make good Thermoses (Thermi?) any more. The glass lined type kept food super hot, but the cheap things they sell now don't work. I used to buy old glass thermoses from eBay when my kids were carrying their lunches. They loved being the only kids who had steaming hot Spaghetti-o's :) .

I agree. I have one that I've had forever and the new ones don't compare. It'll keep coffee steaming hot until noon. The newer ones are lukewarm by 10am.

Dr.3D
10-07-2012, 10:21 AM
My mother did the same thing. When I read these threads, I always remember that. While everybody else was eating a cold PBJ, I had a hot dog in a bun with mustard, onions and ketchup. And I had a few cups of tomato soup. I felt like I was pretty special.

acptulsa
10-07-2012, 10:26 AM

And what if that glass liner had broken? What then? You actually trusted your kids to have enough sense to not eat the Spaghetti-Os if they broke the liner in the Thermos? Don't you know that isn't idiotproof? Don't you realize that by not idiotproofing your childrens' lunch boxes, you could be considered guilty of reckless endangerment?

How dare you refuse to settle for mediocrity in the holy cause of ultimate safety? You used to be a red-blooded American, but you're anti-American now...

Carson
10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
A talented head cook at a school in central Sweden has been told to stop baking fresh bread and to cut back on her wide-ranging veggie buffets because it was unfair that students at other schools didn't have access to the unusually tasty offerings.

http://www.thelocal.se/43656/20121006/

From now on, the school's vegetable buffet will be halved in size and Eriksson's handmade loafs will be replaced with store-bought bread.

Maybe she now needs a job in the private sector making, "store-bought bread" for all of the schools.

Someone at word told me about a local store chain around here making bread on site. It is awesome! and no preservatives!

It's like the bread in the olden days that would go bad on you.

Back then it was a bit of work keeping up on the bread isle for bakers. What used to happen is the bread then was easier to digest and that is just what mold would do. It would immediately start in on a loaf. You didn't see anything at first. Usually after several days you might start to notice the loaf dampening off. The sign would be dampness showing on the bread or in the bag. Shortly after the mold would have colonies the numbers that with their rate of doubling the loaf would be, maybe not so much inedible, but unpalatable. The mold would gross you out.

The bread companies didn't like it so to keep ahead of the problem they rotated their stock daily. Some of the day old loafs would be moved to a day old shelf and marked down accordingly.

Somewhere back in history...I know not where...bread became invincible‽

Like I said before; bread was easier to digest.

Well it was for the molds. I'm not sure about for people. One thing I do know, I'm digging my stores, "Famous Bake House" bread. It taste alive. You can taste the yeast, I'm thinking. Anyway it is a great fresh made without the preservatives that make our present day loafs suitable as brick replacements or some sort of building material.

I can't help but wonder if some of our over-weightness is a result of preserved bread we've eaten latching on to our innards and waiting...and waiting... until some time in the distant future it happens to become digestable.:p

Brian4Liberty
10-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Wow, never heard of that. Guess our moms weren't that creative.

phill4paul
10-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Wow, never heard of that. Guess our moms weren't that creative.

Gotta say I was pretty lucky. She made the effort to go 'above and beyond.' I remind her of that every year on her birthday and Mothers day. And Christmas. And Easter. Pretty much every time I see her. :)

RonPaulFanInGA
10-07-2012, 04:14 PM

But, but...then one of the student's lunches might be better than what the others' moms packed. That wouldn't be fair.

Or worse: one might have a Coke or a cookie or something else unhealthy included in their meal. :eek: