PDA

View Full Version : St. Charles County sheriff's deputy gets 5 years on burglary charge

DerailingDaTrain
10-06-2012, 12:41 PM
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/d6/0d65e2d8-0f4d-11e2-8547-001a4bcf6878/506f7ca4eaa90.preview-620.jpg

MONTGOMERY CITY • A St. Charles County sheriff's deputy was sentenced Friday to five years in prison for breaking the law while he and other officers were at a Middletown, Mo., home to apprehend a wanted meth cook.

In August, a jury found Christopher E. Hunt, 38, guilty of felony burglary and misdemeanor assault and property damage after a three-day trial that pitted police officer against police officer.

The charges stemmed from the Feb. 5, 2009, arrest of Phillip Alberternst, who was wanted on several felonies related to meth-making. Hunt and three other members of the St. Charles County Regional Drug Task Force were assisting members of the East Central Drug Task Force — which serves Warren, Audrain and Montgomery counties — with the arrest.

In arguments during the trial, Montgomery County Prosecutor Nicole Volkert said officers had agreed to try a consensual search because they didn't have a search warrant, but when Hunt showed up later, he kicked in a porch door and beat "a helpless, naked man" who was not resisting. The burglary charge stemmed from him going into the home.

Hunt plans to appeal his case, and he remains free after posting 10 percent of a $100,000 bail.

St. Charles County officials tried to write a check for the 10 percent, but Circuit Judge Keith Sutherland would not allow it. "I don't know whether it's normal or not, but we're supporting our people," County Executive Steve Ehlmann said later. "People don't understand what a tough job these guys have."

Ehlmann said Hunt then paid $5,000 of the bail money, and St. Charles County Sheriff Tom Neer put up the other half.

At the sentencing, Hunt broke down several times while reading a statement in which he detailed his military service with the Marines and his lifelong desire to be a police officer. He said on the day of Alberternst's arrest, he felt everyone around him was in danger.

"I had to decide in a matter of seconds what it took jurors five hours to weigh," he said. "My intention that night was not assault, it was safety."

Hunt's wife also testified on his behalf, but Sutherland did not let Neer or Ehlmann get on the stand after Volkert said they weren't listed as potential witnesses.

Volkert asked that Hunt get 15 years for the burglary charge, in part because he is a police officer.

"This is the type of person who makes other people doubt the entire system," she said.

Hunt's attorney, Joseph McCulloch, argued for probation. "His law enforcement career is ended; the ability to support his family is crippled," he said. "I don't know what message putting him in jail would send."

But Sutherland said he agreed with the jurors that Hunt had gone to the scene that night with the intent to get revenge on Alberternst, then "made up facts to make himself look good."

He said it was common knowledge that police officers stick together, but in this case officers from four different agencies had testified against Hunt.

"That's very telling to me," Sutherland said.

He also said that he didn't doubt that Hunt loved his job and was a brave man.

"But it appears that this defendant was intoxicated with the power of the badge," he said.

Three other St. Charles County officers — William S. Rowe III, Dion E. Wilson and Deric Dull — also are charged with misdemeanor counts of assault and making a false report in the arrest. No trial date has been set in those cases.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stcharles/st-charles-county-sheriff-s-deputy-gets-years-on-burglary/article_309ff04b-6b63-5de9-962f-401f1ec489c7.html

AFPVet
10-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Back when I went through the MP academy, we were taught that cops should actually get more time for crimes because they violated public trust.

JK/SEA
10-06-2012, 01:02 PM
"People don't understand what a tough job these guys have."

let it be noted...and filed under ''fuck off''...

Anti Federalist
10-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Hunt's attorney, Joseph McCulloch, argued for probation. "His law enforcement career is ended; the ability to support his family is crippled," he said. "I don't know what message putting him in jail would send."

I wonder, in a years long LEO "career", how many people Hunt did the exact same thing to.

Out of the hundreds, possibly thousands, I wonder how many were innocent.

Czolgosz
10-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Who on the team would rat out a fellow thug? W T F

AFPVet
10-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Who on the team would rat out a fellow thug? W T F

Evidently, one who has integrity.

aGameOfThrones
10-06-2012, 01:40 PM

But Sutherland said he agreed with the jurors that Hunt had gone to the scene that night with the intent to get revenge on Alberternst, then "made up facts to make himself look good."

He said it was common knowledge that police officers stick together, but in this case officers from four different agencies had testified against Hunt.

Rats jumping ship, I guess.
"made up facts to make himself look good."

youngbuck
10-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Whoops, I posted in a duplicated thread rather than this one. Anyway:

This is the most surprising news story I've heard in a while. The department must have already had it out for that cop. Normally they'd get a paid vacation, or at most suspension w/out pay.

I mean, how'd that pig like it if I went to HIS house and kicked his door down, storming in armed. Poor little bully got a taste of his own medicine.

tod evans
10-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Good start, he'll make a nice bitch for Bubba.

Czolgosz
10-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Evidently, one who has integrity.

That guy is gonna be fired, whoever it is.

Origanalist
10-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Good start, he'll make a nice bitch for Bubba.

Oh yeah, he's gonna get some lovin'.

nobody's_hero
10-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Well, what do we expect? I don't want to say that all former-military personnel make terrible cops, but you go overseas and kick down doors and shoot-first— the military trains you to survive, not heed due process. Then they come home to join a police 'drug task force' where they can live out their flash-backs.

I want to know how you beat someone for refusing to consent to a search which you know you don't have a warrant for, and then get sentenced with burglary and "misdemeanor" assault.

trey4sports
10-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Damn. I live in Saint Charles County.

phill4paul
10-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Well, for starters, it would send the message that no one is above the law. That the law applies equally to every one. That some animals are not more equal than others.

Origanalist
10-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Well, for starters, it would send the message that no one is above the law. That the law applies equally to every one. That some animals are not more equal than others.

^^^^^^^^^^

truelies
10-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Heres hoping he finds prison to be a terrifying painful degrading place and goes to sleep EVERY night praying to not wake up the next day.

nobody's_hero
10-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought our folks were pretty active in Missouri, particularly St. Charles county. I remember the debacle there at a rigged pro-Santorum convention.

When is the liberty movement going to start running constitutional sheriffs?

sailingaway
10-07-2012, 12:18 PM
This is St Charles of the St Charles caucus? Was he perchance one of the off duty police hired as private security for the caucus? Or would that be hoping for too much....

sailingaway
10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Heres hoping he finds prison to be a terrifying painful degrading place and goes to sleep EVERY night praying to not wake up the next day.

I can't buy into that. But I do think no one is above the law.

tod evans
10-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I can't buy into that. But I do think no one is above the law.

There's a special place in prison for cops...........They're on par with baby rapers.

Keith and stuff
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I thought our folks were pretty active in Missouri, particularly St. Charles county. I remember the debacle there at a rigged pro-Santorum convention.

When is the liberty movement going to start running constitutional sheriffs?

It has been doing so for years. Some have been getting elected. Some not so. Surely you have heard all about it by now? There was 1 such campaign in NH in 2010. There were 3 such campaigns in New Hampshire this year. There is a whole group about it. http://www.countysheriffproject.org/

QuickZ06
10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
There's a special place in prison for cops...........They're on par with baby rapers.

I am sure he will get his own room with a PS3.

trey4sports
10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
This is St Charles of the St Charles caucus? Was he perchance one of the off duty police hired as private security for the caucus? Or would that be hoping for too much....

yes, and don't know on the second question. I believe it was actually saint peters cops at the caucus but i might be incorrect on that.

nobody's_hero
10-08-2012, 05:20 AM
It has been doing so for years. Some have been getting elected. Some not so. Surely you have heard all about it by now? There was 1 such campaign in NH in 2010. There were 3 such campaigns in New Hampshire this year. There is a whole group about it. http://www.countysheriffproject.org/

No. I hadn't, so thanks, lol.