PDA

View Full Version : Savor the choice, America!

Lucille
10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Finally, Romney Gets to Run as a Moderate — But Is It Too Late?
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/finally-romney-gets-to-run-as-a-moderate-but-is-it-too-late/

The question of whether Moderate Mitt is the Real Mitt is an interesting one. David Brooks says yes. Daniel Larison says no. To an extent, I think they’re both right. Romney is a chameleonic man of little conviction. When he spoke of the 47 Percent at a Boco Raton fundraiser, I have little doubt that he meant every word of it. Conservatives have been talking like that for many years; Romney is relatively new to the precincts of movement conservatism; and so it’s possible he picked up the lingo and passed it on uncritically. Yet it’s equally possible that, after the remarks were exposed, he concluded that not only were they hurting his campaign, but they were logically idiotic as well.

The bigger question is whether Romney’s pivot toward the center occurred too late to rescue him. It’s now October. Voter perceptions and preferences have largely calcified. And from the moment he sewed up the nomination and through to Denver — an eternal-seeming six months — Romney half-heartedly and unconvincingly waged a losing campaign on behalf of movement conservatism. If he wins, I suspect it will be nearly impossible next year for Romney to renege on his promise not to lower the share of taxes paid by the wealthy (though his definition of “middle income” does offer wiggle room). And he strongly signaled that he will not repeal but rather tweak Obamacare and the Dodd-Frank financial reforms.

Practically speaking, Romney has committed himself to a second Obama term — but with lower tax rates and magical growth.

Savor the choice, America!

LOL... So which Bank Party member will it be, Amerika? The Central Planning Welfare-Warfare-Police Statist in the blue jersey, or the Central Planning Welfare-Warfare-Police Statist in the red jersey?