PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney's Sleight of Hand Performance at the Debate!

fearthereaperx
10-05-2012, 02:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTE1Y3bvqwM

fearthereaperx
10-05-2012, 02:34 AM
FYI- Prepared notes are not allowed in the debates.

kathy88
10-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Dude can't do anything without cheating, can he?

fearthereaperx
10-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Dude can't do anything without cheating, can he?

It's all game theory to him

LibertyEagle
10-05-2012, 03:39 AM
At this point, I really don't care. I'm surely not going to shed a tear to be rid of Obama.

TomtheTinker
10-05-2012, 03:43 AM
Hm

ClydeCoulter
10-05-2012, 04:11 AM
"Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules" ~ Romney

chudrockz
10-05-2012, 04:19 AM
At this point, I really don't care. I'm surely not going to shed a tear to be rid of Obama.

Care to place a wager on whether we WILL, in fact, be rid of Obama next January? I'd be shocked if this election weren't one of the biggest landslides in history - in favor of Obama.

kathy88
10-05-2012, 04:20 AM

You don't care that he blatantly disregards rules at every turn? Or you don't care...... what?

AlexAmore
10-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Bad news: He's a liar.
Good news: Totally ****ing sucks at it.

chudrockz
10-05-2012, 04:25 AM
You don't care that he blatantly disregards rules at every turn? Or you don't care...... what?

I think some people just hate Obama with such incredible passion that Romney could grow horns, growl like a demon, claim and prove personal resposibility for September 11th, and people would still vote for him (or at least "hope he wins") because... he's not Barack Obama.

fearthereaperx
10-05-2012, 04:28 AM
That could be a tissue for his face actually. Still looks odd..

kathy88
10-05-2012, 05:19 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/05/1140435/-Did-Mitt-use-crib-notes-for-the-debate

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 05:26 AM
I was hoping there was like an Ipad teleprompter behind his podium, lol. "In the opinion of Mitt Romney . . ."

That was pretty quick movement.

I wouldn't lay a nasty hankerchief on a podium if I had been blowing my nose in it, and then unfold it.

Plus look at his facial expression right after he does it (in this video I mean; don't worry, you only have to watch the first few seconds as it happens early)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkrwUU_YApE&feature=player_embedded

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 06:03 AM
I think some people just hate Obama with such incredible passion that Romney could grow horns, growl like a demon, claim and prove personal resposibility for September 11th, and people would still vote for him (or at least "hope he wins") because... he's not Barack Obama.

I think if Romney wins, it sets a record-breaking low point for the Republican party's standards. If Romney wins, someone like Rand doesn't stand a chance because the next guy down on the list would have to be a serial rapist or something. Okay, that's exaggerating, but I mean, they're obviously not aiming for integrity with their presidential picks. :rolleyes:

V3n
10-05-2012, 06:26 AM

I think you nailed it right here.

"But it's a two party system, we have to vote for one of them!!!"

Chester Copperpot
10-05-2012, 06:53 AM
FYI- Prepared notes are not allowed in the debates.

do you have a source for that?

HOLLYWOOD
10-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Is that a whisper I hear?

Nah, It's just Rmoney cheating for the past 50 years

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 07:02 AM
do you have a source for that?

This is the best I can do to get you a quick reply. Unfortunately this is from a 1980 debate transcript, so the rules may have changed since then.

The candidates are not permitted to bring prepared notes to the podium, but are permitted to make notes during the debate. If the candidates exceed the allotted time agreed on, I will reluctantly but certainly interrupt. We ask the Convention Center audience here to abide by one ground rule. Please do not applaud or express approval or disapproval during the debate. Now, based on the toss of the coin, Governor Reagan will respond to the first question from Marvin Stone.

http://www.debates.org/index.php?page=october-28-1980-debate-transcript

It's kind of hard to find the rules at debates.org. When you google "CPD debate rules" you end up with tons of results regarding qualifications for being in the debates.

Philhelm
10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I hate to rally to Romney's defense, but I remember when I was watching the debate that it looked like Romney was taking notes during the debate. I'd imagine he would be taking quick notes of the points that Obama had made so that he'd remember to address them all when it was his turn to speak. So, it could have been a blank notepad. Also, it never looked like Romney was using prepared notes when speaking.

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 07:50 AM
I hate to rally to Romney's defense, but I remember when I was watching the debate that it looked like Romney was taking notes during the debate. I'd imagine he would be taking quick notes of the points that Obama had made so that he'd remember to address them all when it was his turn to speak. So, it could have been a blank notepad. Also, it never looked like Romney was using prepared notes when speaking.

They're allowed to take notes on the paper they have been provided. This is something like college tests where I went to school. We had to use the proctor's pencils and paper, nothing else, but we were allowed, once the test had started, to "brain dump" whatever we had fresh in our memories on the provided paper. We couldn't discuss or share it with anyone else, of course, and had to return our notes (even if we wrote nothing on the paper) after the test.

So, yeah, as you describe it, that sounds like it would be okay. But if that wasn't a blank notepad (assuming it was a notepad, which is difficult to tell) he pulled out of his pant pocket, then, yeah, that would explain why Obama was bumbling around all night (because he's not nearly as good a public speaker as he pretends to be) and Mitt seemed to do much better than his usual self (because Mitt's not a great public speaker either).

That said, this isn't exactly a 'smoking teleprompter.'

LibertyEagle
10-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Sure, Kathy. But, Romney and Obama are two pieces of cheating traitorous scum, so I don't really care what one does to the other. I really do not. They serve the same masters, anyway.

kathy88
10-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Sure, Kathy. But, Romney and Obama are two pieces of cheating traitorous scum, so I don't really care what one does to the other. I really do not. They serve the same masters, anyway.

I was just pointing out that dude can't do anything honestly. It sounded as if you were defending that because he's "better than Obama." I don't see it as him "doing" anything to Obama. I see him doing it TO US. Joe public.

FrancisMarion
10-05-2012, 08:19 AM
If this was against the rules, the liberal media outlets would be all over it.

It could still be within the rules and he chose not to broadcast that he brought notes. Public speaking 101, the more you can make prepared remarks look and sound unprepared the better.

Regardless, from a impartial critic, he was much more nimble than the president in this debate, with or without his cheat sheet.

Did anyone else see that at the end he bifolded his papers from the podium and tried to put them in both breast pockets inside his coat? I think he ended up handing them to someone else. I wonder what could have been in his coat pockets? Maybe a gas and brake pedal, hooked up to his handler...

AuH20
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Obama gets annihilated in the debate and now the excuses are just flowing like rainwater from his most ardent & delusional supporters. First, it was the altitude. Now it is the notes. Blah blah blah. He lost. Get over it. I think Obama would agree with this conclusion as well, in that he simply got bested mano a mano. These things happen to the best of politicians.

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Obama gets annihilated in the debate and now the excuses are just flowing like rainwater from his most ardent & delusional supporters. First, it was the altitude. Now it is the notes. Blah blah blah. He lost. Get over it. I think Obama would agree with this conclusion as well, in that he simply got bested mano a mano. These things happen to the best of politicians.

I don't know if it's as much of an 'annihilation' as the GOP wants it to be. It might be more like when a home team is down by 7 points in major league baseball and then the home team hits one home run in the bottom of the 9th with no outs remaining. "Okay baseball fans, we've got ourselves a close game again." :rolleyes:

Of course, most folks have left the stadium already to try to beat the traffic.

LibertyEagle
10-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I was just pointing out that dude can't do anything honestly. It sounded as if you were defending that because he's "better than Obama." I don't see it as him "doing" anything to Obama. I see him doing it TO US. Joe public.

They both are going to screw us. But, a small part of me would still prefer if Romney wins. Not that I'm going to vote for either of them, because I'm not.

AuH20
10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't know if it's as much of an 'annihilation' as the GOP wants it to be. It might be more like when a home team is down by 7 points in major league baseball and then the home team hits one home run in the bottom of the 9th with no outs remaining. "Okay baseball fans, we've got ourselves a close game again." :rolleyes:

I think it was much more profound than that. The ongoing narrative throughout the media has been that Romney is an empty suit with no depth and cannot possibly challenge his emminence, Lord Obama. So when you falsely discredit your opponent for months and then suddenly in front of 63 million people, the individual in question reverses the mischaracterization, you are facing formidable political momentum. Romney is looking at a 4 to 5% national bounce, but it will interesting to see if he build on this conquest any further. It should also be noted that the Romney camp is sitting on signicant campaign funds slated for an agressive ad buy. They have been biding their time.

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
They both are going to screw us. But, a small part of me would still prefer if Romney wins. Not that I'm going to vote for either of them, because I'm not.

I agree with the bolded. But I'm highly concerned of the implications for the liberty movement in the future, if Romney wins. I mean, some of the stuff that's happened during this whole charade is pretty damned inexcusable. It would be a new low for the GOP if this man wins, in terms of the bullshit they will endure, and still come back to the table for another helping of turd sandwich.

We can't change the GOP if they don't realize there's a problem within their party. And if Romney wins, the prevailing attitude will be, 'finally, everything's back-to-normal. Let's all go back to sleep.'

specsaregood
10-05-2012, 09:14 AM

If you are of the mind that "its all fixed" then you had to know that Romney was going to have a good debate and obama a poor one. Or at the very least that the media would report it like so. Remember all the after debate discussions where they completely ignored dr. paul's performance in the debates?

Nobody makes money off an election blowout. Just before the debate, we heard how GOP donors weren't donating to Romney anymore. What does that mean? It means less money getting spent to the media outlets -- less ads. But if Romney has a chance all of a sudden then more people watch the news, pay attention to the election and everybody makes more money.

Maybe thats how Rand was able to predict the outcome on the daily show ahead of time.

V3n
10-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I think it was much more profound than that. The ongoing narrative throughout the media has been that Romney is an empty suit with no depth and cannot possibly challenge his emminence, Lord Obama. So when you falsely discredit your opponent for months and then suddenly in front of 63 million people, the individual in question reverses the mischaracterization, you are facing formidable political momentum. Romney is looking at a 4 to 5% national bounce, but it will interesting to see if he build on this conquest any further. It should also be noted that the Romney camp is sitting on signicant campaign funds slated for an agressive ad buy. They have been biding their time.

The debate at least earned him some "enthusiasm" points. That could equate into people who were maybe sitting out because they didn't like who the party picked for them, into actually showing up to vote.

thoughtomator
10-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Not like the guy he was "debating" against follows rules, either. The aristocracy does whatever the hell they want, because they can get away with anything.

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 09:18 AM

I do think the media has been helping Obama by making him out to be so many things that he isn't.

But, are they doing the same thing now for Romney? I'm just skeptical. Close matches make for better ratings. Of course, this isn't anything new. Maybe that's why I find it very old and tiresome.

AuH20
10-05-2012, 09:20 AM
The debate at least earned him some "enthusiasm" points. That could equate into people who were maybe sitting out because they didn't like who the party picked for them, into actually showing up to vote.

There was a caricature being projected by the media that Mitt Romney was this ruthless Ayn Randian capitalist, when he's actually a Rockefeller Republican. A Rockefeller republican is much more pliable in terms of surviving the coordinated attacks from the left, since they agree on many of the same things. What Romney did on Wednesday was basically boost his credentials as a credible Rockefeller Republican. If Romney can sucessfully run with this image, he neutralizes the entire thrust of the Obama machine & this election will be a nailbiter.

V3n
10-05-2012, 09:33 AM
What Romney did on Wednesday was basically boost his credentials as a credible Rockefeller Republican. If Romney can sucessfully run with this image, he neutralizes the entire thrust of the Obama machine & this election will be a nailbiter.

And that's what makes him the etch-a-sketch candidate. And "party faithful" are more than happy to just accept whatever image displays because he's on "their team". Disgusting.

Agorism
10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Why was that cheating?

Not allowed notes?

LibertyEagle
10-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree with the bolded. But I'm highly concerned of the implications for the liberty movement in the future, if Romney wins. I mean, some of the stuff that's happened during this whole charade is pretty damned inexcusable. It would be a new low for the GOP if this man wins, in terms of the bullshit they will endure, and still come back to the table for another helping of turd sandwich.

We can't change the GOP if they don't realize there's a problem within their party. And if Romney wins, the prevailing attitude will be, 'finally, everything's back-to-normal. Let's all go back to sleep.'

I understand and I agree with you on everything that you said.

AuH20
10-05-2012, 09:50 AM
And that's what makes him the etch-a-sketch candidate. And "party faithful" are more than happy to just accept whatever image displays because he's on "their team". Disgusting.

He's going to out-Obama Obama. It's hilarious. Obama ran as this type of quasi blue dog democrat in 2008 and we all know what has transpired. Romney is throwing all his nonsense right back at him, which I find amusing. Play the role of the political chamaleon with a firm grasp of some alarming statistics. That's what Romney is doing.

mike6623
10-05-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTE1Y3bvqwM
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/milew66623/paul.gif

nobody's_hero
10-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I understand and I agree with you on everything that you said.

I mean, I really hate that no matter what happens, they're going to try to twist it to say that it's somehow our fault. So, maybe my theory here is off-base. Hell, They might not learn from their mistakes at all. I hear a lot of people say that Romney is the guy who lost to McCain, and McCain lost to Obama, so they're completely going to go backwards, lol.

Yet I can't help but feel that at some point, the establishment is going to have to give up, or at least, the GOP primary/caucus voters who support establishment candidates are going to give up. That would be the opening for the liberty movement's shining moment, you know?

amonasro
10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
So will this get picked up by the major news outlets?

Not likely. It goes against the narrative of Romney's amazing debate performance.

July
10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
If you are of the mind that "its all fixed" then you had to know that Romney was going to have a good debate and obama a poor one. Or at the very least that the media would report it like so. Remember all the after debate discussions where they completely ignored dr. paul's performance in the debates?

Nobody makes money off an election blowout. Just before the debate, we heard how GOP donors weren't donating to Romney anymore. What does that mean? It means less money getting spent to the media outlets -- less ads. But if Romney has a chance all of a sudden then more people watch the news, pay attention to the election and everybody makes more money.

Maybe thats how Rand was able to predict the outcome on the daily show ahead of time.

My guess is yes. Donors were threatening to pull out if Romney didn't have a good performance. The media narrative leading up to the debate was that Romney had to 'do or die' or Republicans would pull out and focus down ticket. I figure, it was an ultimatum. This has to have motivated Romney, and also the media, to give him some positive coverage for a change.

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I didn't see the debate, but if Romney was quoting a lot of facts and statistics, that is probably what was on his notes.

2young2vote
10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
It may not have even been notes. It could have just been an inspirational quote or something else to help him keep calm. Or were those not allowed too?

Dr.3D
10-05-2012, 10:59 AM
"Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules" ~ Romney
He doesn't worry about rules. He just changes them as he goes along.... look to the RNC as an example.

bunklocoempire
10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
He had his lawyers check it -it's cool.

devil21
10-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Apparently it was a handkerchief. Seems reasonable.

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-sweating-not-cheating-spokeswoman-says-190444214.html

MrGoose
10-05-2012, 08:36 PM
It was a handkerchief. You see him wipe his mouth/face a couple times. It was not notes... Sorry guys

trey4sports
10-05-2012, 08:54 PM

An Obama win will indirectly benefit the liberty movement much more than a Romney win will.

invisible
10-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Donors were threatening to pull out if Romney didn't have a good performance.

If something nasty like that happens, santorum will end up being spread all over the place again.

Ben Bernanke
10-05-2012, 10:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wtgE0.jpg

iamse7en
10-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Let's not be like the Daily Kos. It's a handkerchief (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/10/05/romney_s_debate_cheat_sheet_liberal_bloggers_cry_f oul_over_republican_s_handkerchief_.html).

Instead, let's focus on what he actually said: wants to keep the government revenue-neutral (meaning, he likes how big government is right now), likes the progressive tax code and wants the rich to continue to pay as much as they do in taxes, yet wants the middle class to get a "break" - which by math means he wants to redstribute wealth from the rich to the poor. He also wants to maintain the medicare/SS ponzi schemes that continue to dominate the budget. Not to mention he wants to increase military spending and claims to want to decrease overall government spending. Not coincidentally, he can't provide any specifics on how that's done. Hell, he won't even endorse Paul Ryan's plan which takes 30-40 years to balance the budget (even with the ridiculously rosy predictions on both expected growth and spending), because it's too radical for him.

QuickZ06
10-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Remember this is all just a sideshow, the votes do not count as its the people who count the votes. They have already picked the winner, they just like the attention and ratings. If there is money to be made along the way you can bet they will do everything they can to collect.

Dr.3D
10-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Remember this is all just a sideshow, the votes do not count as its the people who count the votes. They have already picked the winner, they just like the attention and ratings. If there is money to be made along the way you can bet they will do everything they can to collect.
The MSM is making money hand over fist from the contributions to all of the candidates. Each candidate spends money to put advertisements on the MSM and they are the ones who really make out from these elections.

Cowlesy
10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh come on, Obama sucks enough he doesn't need to cheat.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/romney-cheat-sheet-was-a-handkerchief-campaign

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2012/10/5/11/enhanced-buzz-22722-1349450869-6.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2012/10/5/12/anigif_enhanced-buzz-3268-1349454186-8.gif

LibertyEagle
10-06-2012, 10:01 AM
An Obama win will indirectly benefit the liberty movement much more than a Romney win will.

Yes, but you see, I put my country before a political party, or even the liberty movement. Let me explain what I'm thinking. I realize that there is very little difference between Obama and Romney. But, if Obama gets reelected he won't have to worry about getting elected again, so I think he will go full tilt with the destruction of the country. Romney, because he would be worried about his reelection, would likely take it more slowly.

I seriously detest them both and refuse to vote for either, but if one is going to be elected, I kinda hope it is Romney. I want to have some semblance of a country left in 4 years and honestly, I am concerned that we won't with either, but even more so with Obama.

Dr.3D
10-06-2012, 10:08 AM
If something nasty like that happens, santorum will end up being spread all over the place again.
Don't what that to happen, we are still trying to clean up all the santorum spread around from the last fiasco.

jkob
10-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Yea, definitely a handkerchief. I remember him wiping his face a couple times and I don't even remember Romney looking down while Obama was speaking(while Obama looked down every time), he didn't appear to be 'cheating'.

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I didn't see the debate, but if Romney was quoting a lot of facts and statistics, that is probably what was on his notes.

You kidding?

trey4sports
10-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, but you see, I put my country before a political party, or even the liberty movement. Let me explain what I'm thinking. I realize that there is very little difference between Obama and Romney. But, if Obama gets reelected he won't have to worry about getting elected again, so I think he will go full tilt with the destruction of the country. Romney, because he would be worried about his reelection, would likely take it more slowly.

I seriously detest them both and refuse to vote for either, but if one is going to be elected, I kinda hope it is Romney. I want to have some semblance of a country left in 4 years and honestly, I am concerned that we won't with either, but even more so with Obama.

fair enough, but Obama is going to have a difficult time getting a lot done with a GOP congress. There is the slight chance that he could take a more liberal position with regard to crime and the drug war and such. I saw an article that said he was going to prioritize reforming the drug war. I mean its a minor issue but the fact that he doesn't have a third term to worry about may not be an absolutely bad thing.