PDA

View Full Version : Cop leaves K9 in patrol vehicle for three days

green73
10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
A former police officer whose canine partner died after being left in a patrol vehicle for three days should be charged with a felony, the Georgia Humane Society said Friday.

The group plans to dig up the remains of the 10-year-old Dutch Shepherd so an investigation can begin, the group’s president told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“If you kill or harm a police dog or horse, it’s a felony,” Joan Weatherford Sammond, president of the Georgia Humane Society said. “We need to retrieve the remains to determine a cause of death and rule out natural causes, even though the evidence is really valid.”

The dog, Sasha, was found dead Sept. 3 inside the Chevrolet Tahoe belonging to her handler, Lt. T.J. Frye of the Warwick Police Department in South Georgia, according to a Warwick police report. Frye returned home from a three-day trip to find the animal inside the vehicle. He later buried Sasha in his own yard.

Inside the vehicle were horrific signs that the dog tried to escape, including ripped seat belts, bite marks in the leather seats, scratches on the windows, and broken rear-view mirror, the police report said.

The chief of the police department didn’t file a report on the dog’s death until Sept. 14, following questions from local media outlets, according to the man who gave the narcotics dog to the city, free of charge.

“Lt. Frye stated that Sasha must have let herself inside the vehicle over the weekend while he was out of town,” the Warwick police report states.

Frye called the city’s maintenance worker to help him remove the dog from the SUV, which was full of flies and smelled of decay, the report states.

cont
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/georgia-humane-society-calls-for-investigation-int/nSPHn/

dannno
10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
“Lt. Frye stated that Sasha must have let herself inside the vehicle over the weekend while he was out of town,” the Warwick police report states.

Hmmm

dannno
10-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Hmmm

PaulConventionWV
10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
“Sasha brought the city of Warwick thousands upon thousands of dollars in drug money, but most importantly, it was getting the drugs off the street,” Bedal said. “The dog was saving lives.”

Hate to tell ya, but no, it wasn't. In fact, it was more likely helping to ruin them.

Root
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
If the dog can let herself into the vehicle, why can she let herself out?

green73
10-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Hmmm

I know, sounds very plausible.

angelatc
10-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Bullshit. My dog locked himself in a closet downstairs. I noticed him gone when it was time for him to go out. 3 days....nobody went to feed the dog and noticed her gone?

green73
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
So the dog got out of its kennel, got the keys...

specsaregood
10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Bullshit. My dog locked himself in a closet downstairs. I noticed him gone when it was time for him to go out. 3 days....nobody went to feed the dog and noticed her gone?

Well evidently they are used to the dog opening doors and taking care of itself. Seems reasonable the dog is also capable of pouring out its dog food, filling its water bowl, walking itself and bagging its own poo too.

farreri
10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Jeez, cops going after their own department's dogs now.

aGameOfThrones
10-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Maybe she wanted to go out for a drive...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRosZO8iTGTP5qWeQxn290Yd2iXX8_pB MARyoURULF4oWzuEwOyxBQjxCrT

angelatc
10-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Well evidently they are used to the dog opening doors and taking care of itself. Seems reasonable the dog is also capable of pouring out its dog food, filling its water bowl, walking itself and bagging its own poo too.

Yeah, you're right. She probably had just finished cleaning the shotgun and was putting it back in the car, when that CAT came by and pulled what was meant to be an innocent prank - closing the door.

Stupid cat. Everybody knows dogs don't have thumbs.

Dr.3D
10-04-2012, 12:26 PM
If the dog can let herself into the vehicle, why can she let herself out?
Probably the back seat. You know how those cop cars are. Once you get into the back seat, somebody has to let you out.

As for the dog getting into the car, obviously K9 cops are smarter than their human counter parts.

AGRP
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM

What a talented dog Lt. Frye! To open and close the door of whatever building she came out of, make her way to your squad car, get in and close that door too while patiently waiting for you?! Were both the building and car doors locked? Did she unlock and lock them too? wow! What a consciousness dog! How long did it take for you or her dog school to teach her? Surely, you can show us Sasha's awesome trick!

coastie
10-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Jeezus, what is this like 5 this year ?

I'm not holding my breath on him being charged with any damn thing.

Lucille
10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I clicked through to see if this car was outside. They talked about the hot GA sun. How could no one have seen that dog in that car?

“If you kill or harm a police dog or horse, it’s a felony,”

But if you kill or harm a family dog, it's NBFD. Another day, another dog.

Bedal says for all of her work, Sasha deserved better than to be buried in a backyard.

The owner of an Atlanta-based pet funeral home told the AJC her company will handle the funeral arrangements for Sasha, once any investigation into the dog’s death is complete. Deceased Pet Care Funeral Homes and Crematories offers discounted rates for K-9 funerals and services, owner Donna Shugart-Bethune said.

What's wrong with being buried in the backyard? Funeral arrangements? Special rates for K-9s? Has this country just gone police state BSC! or what?!

coastie
10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I clicked through to see if this car was outside. They talked about the hot GA sun. How could no one have seen that dog in that car?

But if you kill or harm a family dog, it's NBFD. Another day, another dog.

Funeral arrangements? What's wrong with being buried in the backyard?

Has this country just gone police state BSC! or what?

They had a full on military funeral for our station dog(14 yr old Chocolate Lab) when the XO ran his ass over and he had to be put down. He was there for all 14 of his years. people that weren't even in the CG anymore came to his funeral. We were in Dress Blues and all.

I stopped at the local convenience store before the funeral, and the owner, who was Hindi, asked why I was all dressed up. I told him our dog died.

He says<insert stereotypical Indian accent> "You eat the cow, and have funeral for the dog?"

I smiled, told him I agreed-then went back to grab that beef jerky he sells there, and threw it on the counter,lol.

Pericles
10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
They had a full on military funeral for our station dog(14 yr old Chocolate Lab) when the XO ran his ass over and he had to be put down. He was there for all 14 of his years. people that weren't even in the CG anymore came to his funeral. We were in Dress Blues and all.

I stopped at the local convenience store before the funeral, and the owner, who was Hindi, asked why I was all dressed up. I told him our dog died.

He says<insert stereotypical Indian accent> "You eat the cow, and have funeral for the dog?"

I smiled, told him I agreed-then went back to grab that beef jerky he sells there, and threw it on the counter,lol.

I LOLed at what may be the best thing I am going to read all day.