PDA

View Full Version : These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4fd9ee1e6bb3f7af5700000a/media-infographic.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

Eagles' Wings
10-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Love the graphics from Frugal Dad. He also has a great website.

erowe1
10-02-2012, 02:16 PM
So this guy wants regulation to make sure this doesn't happen.

So, instead of 6 corporations in control of 90% of the information, he wants 1 government to control 100% of it.

I think a better conclusion to draw from statistics like these is to tell each individual, "It is not somebody else's responsibility to give you information. It is your responsibility to get it."

FrancisMarion
10-02-2012, 02:31 PM

So, instead of 6 corporations in control of 90% of the information, he wants 1 government to control 100% of it.

I think a better conclusion to draw from statistics like these is to tell each individual, "It is not somebody else's responsibility to give you information. It is your responsibility to get it."

Right-O. That great ad describing the situation and then after all that to imply that more regulation is needed is beyond me. Like giant corps don't have anything to do with the writing of regulations. Only ones who can afford it too.

More government please! Thank you.:rolleyes:

July
10-02-2012, 02:31 PM

Or a better question might be, how did these companies achieve these monopolies over time?

The same process is happening in all other industries, and globally, including the defense sector--huge mergers and consolidation.

FrancisMarion
10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Don't watch em or read em and they go out of business.

Carsten2012b
10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Really interesting, thanks for the info!

Rudeman
10-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Interesting graph, only exception was the end where more regulation was proposed as the solution.

erowe1
10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Interesting graph, only exception was the end where more regulation was proposed as the solution.

It also seems to neglect the internet, which is as a huge lacuna.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Or a better question might be, how did these companies achieve these monopolies over time?

The same process is happening in all other industries, and globally, including the defense sector--huge mergers and consolidation.

The natural consequence of our monetary and economic systems - Fascism. When you create a barrier to entry so enormous through red-tape, regulations, legal disincentives, thuggery, and infuse politics into the matter, this will always result. In an environment devoid of these things or many of these things, you get the opposite effect. When you have police closing down kids lemonade stands because they don't have a city-permit due to zoning, or other draconian non-sense, does anyone wonder why these same conglomerates exist? It's staring you in the fucking face for crying out loud! :D

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM

I don't have to agree with his conclusion to appreciate his information. :p

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
The natural consequence of our monetary and economic systems - Fascism. When you create a barrier to entry so enormous through red-tape, regulations, legal disincentives, thuggery, and infuse politics into the matter, this will always result. In an environment devoid of these things or many of these things, you get the opposite effect. When you have police closing down kids lemonade stands because they don't have a city-permit due to zoning, or other draconian non-sense, does anyone wonder why these same conglomerates exist? It's staring you in the fucking face for crying out loud! :D

this, not only are the barriers to entry huge, the licenses to broadcast are regulated and limited, permitting only the well connected to thrive.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
this, not only are the barriers to entry huge, the licenses to broadcast are regulated and limited, permitting only the well connected to thrive.

Long live pirate radio. :p

awake
10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Not for long. It's cute they try to control perception. The internet will waste them all...dead corporations walking.

July
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Not for long. It's cute they try to control perception. The internet will waste them all...dead corporations walking.

There is plenty of propaganda online too.

In fact, when I think about the potential of the Internet as a propaganda tool, it is much more frightening--people are much more plugged in and connected than they have ever been with television, radio, or static media like newspapers and magazines. It's not any wonder C4L made Internet freedom a plank.

BlackTerrel
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I assume this is meant to scare people and it's full of all the cliches that the masses love to talk about "information" and how "I'm more informed than everyone else".

6 companies isn't a monopoly - any more than the lightbulb industry is a monopoly.

Also the internet has completely flipped this. There are YouTube personalities who get 3-5 million daily views. That's more than Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity combined.

NewRightLibertarian
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Also the internet has completely flipped this. There are YouTube personalities who get 3-5 million daily views. That's more than Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity combined.

Indeed. Let these propaganda mills isolate themselves and become obsolete. Newspapers are already going bankrupt everywhere, and I'm loving every minute of it.

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I assume this is meant to scare people and it's full of all the cliches that the masses love to talk about "information" and how "I'm more informed than everyone else".

6 companies isn't a monopoly - any more than the lightbulb industry is a monopoly.

But they are trying to control the internet as well.

And pretty much entire generations still don't believe it until they see it on mainstream TV, in my experience.

I didn't post it to 'scare' people, those here know it and those who don't know it might be interested. It is a fact that news isn't as varied as it once was, when competition was supposed to keep news media fighting for the people and truth.

BlackTerrel
10-02-2012, 08:05 PM
But they are trying to control the internet as well.

Who is? In a capitalistic society corporations want money so they want eyeballs. But the internet is not regulated and it never will be.

And pretty much entire generations still don't believe it until they see it on mainstream TV, in my experience.

Who do you know like this? Most people I know believe stuff that agrees with their point of view and don't believe stuff that doesn't. And it doesn't matter if it comes from CNN or some obscure website.

I didn't post it to 'scare' people, those here know it and those who don't know it might be interested. It is a fact that news isn't as varied as it once was, when competition was supposed to keep news media fighting for the people and truth.

I don't believe this at all. When I was a kid everyone watched the same shit and we all listened to the same musicians. No one does that anymore. Half the shit people watch and listen to I have never heard of. It's far more fragmented than it even was 10 years ago.

The media is basically the NFL referees. Everyone thinks its against them and everyone hates it (but watches anyway). And as soon as they're gone we'll hate their replacement referees (note the number of threads complaining about censorship or mods on RPF).

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Who is? In a capitalistic society corporations want money so they want eyeballs. But the internet is not regulated and it never will be.

SOPA, PIPA,ACTA, Kill Switch, Monitoring terms to chill speech.... they are definitely trying to regulate it.

Who do you know like this? Most people I know believe stuff that agrees with their point of view and don't believe stuff that doesn't. And it doesn't matter if it comes from CNN or some obscure website.

I know a ton of people like that, and there are studies on it, although the older generations are getting onto the internet more, it is still not a significant source for news for some age groups.

I don't believe this at all. When I was a kid everyone watched the same shit and we all listened to the same musicians. No one does that anymore. Half the shit people watch and listen to I have never heard of. It's far more fragmented than it even was 10 years ago.

The media is basically the NFL referees. Everyone thinks its against them and everyone hates it (but watches anyway). And as soon as they're gone we'll hate their replacement referees (note the number of threads complaining about censorship or mods on RPF).

I'm not talking about ENTERTAINMENT, there is more of that to the point of numbness. I'm talking about news reporting and analysis being different, and there is very little of that outside a very narrow band, imho. It seems we disagree.

Dr.3D
10-02-2012, 08:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnthFRO0cg&feature=relmfu