PDA

View Full Version : Court extends stay against ruling which would strike down indefinite detention w/o trial

tsai3904
10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
A federal appeals court has extended a temporary stay imposed earlier this month on a district court judge's order barring the government from using an indefinite detention provision in a defense bill passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama late last year.

A three-judge motions panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit issued the order Tuesday afternoon, indicating they saw flaws with the scope and rationale for U.S. District Court Judge Katherine Forrest's original order blocking the disputed provision of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2011.

"We conclude that the public interest weighs in favor of granting the government's motion for a stay," Appeals Court Judges Denny Chin, Raymond Lohier and Christopher Droney wrote in a three-page order that also expedited the appeal.

More:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2012/10/court-extends-stop-on-order-blocking-indefinite-detention-137259.html

HOLLYWOOD
10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Here's the deal,

The Obama regime rushed immediately after Judge Katherine Forrest ruling of over-turning the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Obama inserted #NDAA provision for the indefinite detention, etc, without due process, because... Obama and the US shadow government are holding US citizens around the world without representation or due process.

Since it was classified and unknown, you really don't findout until someone sues or rules against it. This case proves, the US government is already holding U.S. citizens.

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
The thread title is misleading and I am going to edit it. the court continued the stay on the ruling which would overturn indefinite detention, it didn't put a stay on the law.

Lucille
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's the deal,

The Obama regime rushed immediately after Judge Katherine Forrest ruling of over-turning the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Obama inserted #NDAA provision for the indefinite detention, etc, without due process, because... Obama and the US shadow government are holding US citizens around the world without representation or due process.

Since it was classified and unknown, you really don't findout until someone sues or rules against it. This case proves, the US government is already holding U.S. citizens.

Yup.

NDAA Plaintiffs Say Obama Flipped Out When A Judge Blocked The Act Because He Was Already Detaining People (http://www.businessinsider.com/ndaa-plaintiffs-answer-questions-on-reddit-2012-9#ixzz27ejX44RY)

"This was quite disturbing, for it means, I suspect, that U.S. citizens, probably dual nationals, are being held in military detention facilities almost certainly overseas and maybe at home."

Dr.3D
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
So they are saying, the government of the United States doesn't have to abide by the Constitution of the United States when it comes to foreign citizens? I thought the Constitution applied to all people everywhere so the United States government doesn't get to do anything unconstitutional to anybody.

better-dead-than-fed
10-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Considering that even without NDAA, the government detained me without trial for 5 years, and no one took any action to deter them from doing the same to others, I am failing to see the significance of NDAA.

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
So they are saying, the government of the United States doesn't have to abide by the Constitution of the United States when it comes to foreign citizens? I thought the Constitution applied to all people everywhere so the United States government doesn't get to do anything unconstitutional to anybody.

Different parts of the Constitution use different terms to apply to 'people' or citizens. But the sixth amendment due process applies to all, as I recall.

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Considering that even without NDAA, the government detained me without trial for 5 years, and no one took any action to deter them from doing the same to others, I am failing to see the significance of NDAA.

You really had no trial?

better-dead-than-fed
10-03-2012, 01:09 AM
You really had no trial?

Really.