PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Kids Reject ObamaLunch

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 07:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IB7NDUSBOo&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

The Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 is keeping kids fat and ... hungry. A USA Today story notes that students are pushing back on the authoritarian, federal food pyramid lunches being served to them, complete with caloric and macronutrient limits. While I sympathize with the kids being subjected to a federal penitentiary masquerading as an educational-nutrition center, the answer for children who have no choice but the public school is for someone in the household to get up a few minutes earlier each day and make a lunch to take to school, or, prepare the food the night before.

internal links at link: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/122278.html#.UGryKYMtMBo.twitter

Origanalist
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I was reading about some of the discontent this was causing yesterday and thought about posting it. Hopefully the youngsters are getting a good early lesson on what it's like when te gubmint "helps" you that goes deep and stays.

Eagles' Wings
10-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Watched the whole video. Very creative. OK, I actually got teary. Parents must send snacks with their kids. Get a lunch box with an ice pack and take care of these growing bodies. Come on, people! The schools are not going to take care of our kids.

Anti Federalist
10-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Watched the whole video. Very creative. OK, I actually got teary. Parents must send snacks with their kids. Get a lunch box with an ice pack and take care of these growing bodies. Come on, people! The schools are not going to take care of our kids.

Contraband.

Prohibited.

Reported.

Eagles' Wings
10-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Contraband.

Prohibited.

Reported.

Yes, I suppose that will be next and until then, send away. The police dogs are not sniffing for healthy food in our school district - yet.

oyarde
10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
The company who is doing the supplying was interviewed , guy said to stay under the calorie count , they have to cut the chicken cutlet in half. Ridiculous , half a pc. of chicken , they probably are hungry.

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, I suppose that will be next and until then, send away. The police dogs are not sniffing for healthy food in our school district - yet.

At least one school in Chicago DID prohibit sending lunches to school. I don't recall how it turned out, but there was a fuss over it. They were saying they wanted to promote healthy lunch and if one set of parents did it another set would want to even if they didn't send lunches as nutritious (you know how these anarchistic parents are about picking their own kids' food!) (sorry, that was my addition...).

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
The company who is doing the supplying was interviewed , guy said to stay under the calorie count , they have to cut the chicken cutlet in half. Ridiculous , half a pc. of chicken , they probably are hungry.

Kids don't eat everything on their plate. so they need more calories to account for picking and choosing and no they will NOT eat the liver or zuchinni if you just don't give them enough chicken.

Dr.3D
10-02-2012, 10:04 AM
At least one school in Chicago DID prohibit sending lunches to school. I don't recall how it turned out, but there was a fuss over it. They were saying they wanted to promote healthy lunch and if one set of parents did it another set would want to even if they didn't send lunches as nutritious (you know how these anarchistic parents are about picking their own kids' food!) (sorry, that was my addition...).
As I recall, there was a howl about the schools making money selling lunches to kids because kids were not allowed to bring their own. Often I believe it isn't about how well the kids are eating, but rather how much money the schools can make selling lunch to kids. Making it illegal to pack your own lunch sorta cuts down on the competition.

VanBummel
10-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Starving the children. It's for the children.

Brian4Liberty
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
As I recall, there was a howl about the schools making money selling lunches to kids because kids were not allowed to bring their own. Often I believe it isn't about how well the kids are eating, but rather how much money the schools can make selling lunch to kids. Making it illegal to pack your own lunch sorta cuts down on the competition.

Follow the money!

devil21
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
School lunch ingredients understand inflation too. Lunches have gotten expensive so even the Feds are mandating the walmart approach of smaller portions for the same or higher price.

My kid used to throw away her home made lunch and then go get in the school food line because she liked the "junk food" feel of it better than her sandwich, fruit, etc. Then I'd get a bill at the end of the year for all the lunches she "charged" without my knowledge or approval.

MelissaWV
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
For some silly reason, these nutritionists don't seem to realize that they've made some fundamental errors.

1.) Does not account for various activity levels. The video features collapsing athletes for a reason. Half a chicken cutlet and a bunch of wilty lettuce is not going to get someone through an afternoon of exercise.

2.) Does not even begin to address children with nutritional restrictions. The big thing is "they can have all the fruit and veggies they want." No, for a diabetic kid, having all the fruit they want is NOT healthy.

3.) Does not address the problem of school food being disgusting. Seriously. Most cafeterias are dealing in such high volume that the "spaghetti sauce" comes in a concentrated paste in a large can, and they add water. The veggies are frozen, then steamed, until they are mush. Those chicken cutlets are usually not raw like you'd get from the store; they are pre-portioned, pre-frozen, and often have chemicals added. The ones at my HS even had grill marks (but there was no grill... suspicious!).