PDA

View Full Version : Terrible: Officer Beats Man in Wheelchair, threatens witness

BSU kid
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
DULUTH (WABC) -- A Duluth, Minnesota, police officer could be charged with assault after he allegedly split a man's head open at a detox center.

The whole thing was recorded by a security camera last Friday.

Police say concerned employees at the detox center reported the incident involving 50-year-old Anthony Jackson, in the wheelchair, and Officer Richard Jouppi...

Video + Full Article:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8830965

Origanalist
10-01-2012, 09:54 PM
The steady stream seems to be turning into a torrent.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
That is just plain fucked up.

aGameOfThrones
10-01-2012, 10:17 PM
The female cop was like, I ain't going to Regina Tasca my partner. And of course she was just doing her job, you know, ignoring someone being assaulted.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Had enough... shit like this going on FB regularly from here on out.

BSU kid
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
The female cop was like, I ain't going to Regina Tasca my partner. And of course she was just doing her job, you know, ignoring someone being assaulted.

If it's any consolation she is testifying against him in criminal court, he is charged with 5th Degree Assault after outrage in the community.

aGameOfThrones
10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
If it's any consolation she is testifying against him in criminal court, he is charged with 5th Degree Assault after outrage in the community.

No, it doesn't.

Carehn
10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
WTF!!! That was sick... These cops must just be out of there minds with power. And some people wonder why most people don't give a damn when they hear a cop died.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-01-2012, 10:39 PM
No, it doesn't.

If true, it is better than usual and something we should support. Everyone can't be expected to do the right thing at a split second. She could have been confused and shocked and scared of an ass beating, herself. It is not optimal, but I think you can agree it is something better than normal. That may be the only reason it is getting mainstream coverage. (which is still helpful to an anti-police-state position.)

Brian4Liberty
10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Seems that anger management issues and virtual immunity are a bad combination.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Duluth police say they are handing the case over to an independent prosecutor and requesting a 5th degree assault charge against Officer Jouppi.

The attorney for Officer Jouppi told CNN that the accusations were a "little extreme" and that sometimes police action is not very pretty.

Jouppi has been on administrative leave since Tuesday and will remain on leave until the investigation is complete.

Jackson was booked on charges of felony assault of a police officer and released.

So, the drunk guy gets charged with a FELONY and the policeman gets charged with a FIFTH degree assault?

That's just flat out wrong.

mport1
10-01-2012, 10:48 PM
If true, it is better than usual and something we should support. Everyone can't be expected to do the right thing at a split second. She could have been confused and shocked and scared of an ass beating, herself. It is not optimal, but I think you can agree it is something better than normal. That may be the only reason it is getting mainstream coverage. (which is still helpful to an anti-police-state position.)

"Police officers" almost never intervene when another officer is committing an assault. I can think of one instance I've ever seen against the thousands of brutality videos. It has nothing to do with being expected to always act right. "Police" almost never do.

She is just another criminal thug like the rest of them who is now just trying to cover her ass.

Origanalist
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
So, the drunk guy gets charged with a FELONY and the policeman gets charged with a FIFTH degree assault?

That's just flat out wrong.

Officer safety is paramount.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-01-2012, 11:06 PM
"Police officers" almost never intervene when another officer is committing an assault. I can think of one instance I've ever seen against the thousands of brutality videos. It has nothing to do with being expected to always act right. "Police" almost never do.

She is just another criminal thug like the rest of them who is now just trying to cover her ass.

She is testifying against him, according to the information presented to me. If that isn't an improvement or something that should be supported, I'm not sure what fucking world you're living in. You can do whatever you want, but I think she deserves some credit for that, considering it is way out of the norm.

Origanalist
10-01-2012, 11:09 PM
She is testifying against him, according to the information presented to me. If that isn't an improvement or something that should be supported, I'm not sure what fucking world you're living in. You can do whatever you want, but I think she deserves some credit for that, considering it is way out of the norm.

You've got to figure that at the very least this isn't going to make her too popular with her fellow "hero's".

BSU kid
10-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I wonder what Fifth Degree Assault even is. A slap on the wrist? A month in county jail? Now I want to know

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-01-2012, 11:33 PM
You've got to figure that at the very least this isn't going to make her too popular with her fellow "hero's".

Which supports my point. ty. If everyone is against her, then no one else will have any incentive to do the right thing later, even if they couldn't do it at the point of sale.

green73
10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=01P6H78-BFE

jkr
10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
like sh00tn' fish in a wheelchair

Lucille
10-02-2012, 10:52 AM
He also threatened to arrest the staff who tried to stop him. I would have said, "Go ahead and arrest me then."

More roid rage no doubt. CONgress needs to leave athletes alone and mandate cops be drug tested.

AGRP
10-02-2012, 11:04 AM
wtf? How is the guy not dead?

tod evans
10-02-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

Anti Federalist
10-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Heroic Duluth Cop Richard Jouppi Assaults a Man in a Wheelchair

Posted by William Grigg on October 2, 2012 03:51 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/122320.html#more-122320

After reportedly getting into two drunken altercations on the evening of September 21, 50-year-old Antony Jon Jackson was taken to a detox center in Duluth, Minnesota. Officer Richard Jouppi and his partner were dispatched to Jackson’s home to take him to the facility. When they arrived, the intoxicated man was in a wheelchair.

As he was being processed at the facility, Jackson was surly and uncooperative. Surveillance video captured him making vaguely hostile statements about owning guns. The female staffer, who obviously deals with intoxicated people on a regular basis, didn’t appear particularly threatened by Jackson. Jouppi’s body language conveyed impatient disgust and growing hostility.

When the staffer told Jackson to take off his coat, the inebriated middle-aged man blurted something about “throwing” it at her.

“Throw it at me, and see what happens,” replied the young woman, who obviously didn’t take the drunk’s bluster seriously. As Jackson gathered the jacket to throw it, Jouppi closed in, grabbed the smaller man’s right wrist in a control hold, and pulled his arm back behind his head. This had the predictable — and, most likely, intended — effect of provoking Jackson to swipe pitifully at Jouppi’s face. Jouppi retaliated by slugging Jackson — who was, once again, in a wheelchair — at least four times. The heroic officer then threw Jackson face-down on the floor before mounting him.

“No! Dude!” exclaimed the female staffer.

“Shut up — back up, or I’ll arrest you, too!” hissed Jouppi as he began to handcuff the victim. Feeling the weight of the staffer’s disapproval, or perhaps the residue of what was once his conscience, Jouppi immediately tried to rationalize his actions. “You don’t think people in a wheelchair can assault people?” he said to her. “Turns out he just did.”

Jouppi’s female partner, not having the strength of character displayed by Officer Regina Tasca in a very similar situation, stood quietly in the corner as the assault unfolded.

“You get in two fights in one night, and then you assault the cops? You can rot!” Jouppi taunted his victim. “For a man who claims to be so injured he can’t do anything, you really don’t have to be such an a**hole.”

In his official report, Jouppi whined that Jackson’s feeble swat at his face — which was, once again, a response to having his arm painfully wrenched behind his neck, “caused me to feel pain. I sought to take Jackson into custody and delivered two strikes to Jackson’s face as it was the only target presented to me at the time and in order to keep him from delivering more strikes.”

From this account, Jackson was a formidable pugilist — a veritable Bas Rutten, rather than a skinny, sickly, drunken, helpless 50-year-old man in a wheelchair. Police union attorney Fredric Bruno insists that Jackson “punched” Jouppi and that his threat to throw his jacket was “terroristic” in nature. (That description is more accurately applied to Jouppi's threat to kidnap the female staffer after she complained about the beating he had inflicted on Jackson.)

Because his unhallowed hand had touched the sanctified personage of Officer Jouppi, Jackson was originally charged with felony assault. That charge was dropped after the prosecutor reviewed the video. Jouppi — whose disciplinary problems and misconduct had resulted in a “Final and Last Chance Agreement” with the department last March — may be charged with fifth-degree misdemeanor assault for repeatedly slugging a man in a wheelchair.

Officer Jouppi, incidentally, is listed as an advisor to Duluth’s affiliate of the Police Explorers program.

specsaregood
10-02-2012, 07:05 PM

I wonder if she said anything before the video got released to the public.

P3ter_Griffin
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Looks like the cop was trying to behead the guy. :(

BlackTerrel
10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Wow. This is fucked.

Henry Rogue
10-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I think the guy in the wheelchair has an eye patch covering his right eye. It looks like most of the strikes where on the left side of his face. Lucky he didn't lose that eye too. Unlucky to encounter a costumed thug.

BSU kid
10-02-2012, 09:40 PM
This is the worst police brutality I have seen in awhile, and I see a new one everyday on this site. Glad this is spreading through the liberty verse.

green73
02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Update: Cop Found Not Guilty On All Charges

http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/S3226138.shtml?cat=10335

SeanTX
02-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Update: Cop Found Not Guilty On All Charges

http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/S3226138.shtml?cat=10335

I'm sure during jury selection they went out of their way to pick out a cop, ex-cop, cop family members, etc. It just takes one planted juror from the brotherhood to ensure a "not guilty."

Anti Federalist
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm sure during jury selection they went out of their way to pick out a cop, ex-cop, cop family members, etc. It just takes one planted juror from the brotherhood to ensure a "not guilty."

That's the only explanation when these verdicts come in.

nbruno322
02-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Video + Full Article:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8830965

Bad link...says page not found...already down the memory hole?

aGameOfThrones
02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
“No jury is going to quickly convict a cop, nor is a jury going to quickly acquit a police officer where the alleged victim is a man in a wheelchair,” Bruno said.

3 hours. Probably eating doughnuts the whole time as their minds were already made up.

However an expert witness for the defense disagreed with that analysis.

Joshua Lego is a commander with the St. Paul Police Department, and he took the stand for the defense on Friday.

He said the takedown was justified because restrictive people are always brought to the ground as a means of control. Lego also said Jouppi was doing what the law and his job required.

“[Jouppi] would have been derelict in his duty if he didn't respond in that manner,” Lego said.

Cop's training...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhpt1tf7Ep1qb7ikeo1_500.gif

Bruno countered in his final statement for the defense. Bruno said Jackson became a suspect when he punched a police officer, and he emphasized how short the altercation was.

Bruno said the incident was only a two-second sliver of Jouppi's life, and Jackson's condition did not excuse his actions.

“No matter how sympathetic you are, or disabled you are or down on your luck you don't have the right to strike a cop in the eye,” Bruno said.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/01/gatsby-leo-051113.gif

oyarde
02-15-2014, 11:54 PM
I would not be caught dead in a detox in Duluth. Too dangerous .

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-16-2014, 03:05 AM
wtf? How is the guy not dead?

http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

You try to be logical and work within a system, but these are really the only alternatives any more. You can't just stand idly by while lice assaults somebody in a wheelchair. You can not--must not--stand by when lice points a gun at your dog. You just can't. I'm not some bad ass, but you just can't stand for this. This is going to continue to happen when people don't use force, so force is really the only answer at this point.

Philhelm
02-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Had enough... shit like this going on FB regularly from here on out.

And make sure your turtle has a steady supply of missiles.

oyarde
02-16-2014, 10:24 AM
That's the only explanation when these verdicts come in.

I cannot think/find any explanation for some of these verdicts .

phill4paul
02-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I cannot think/find any explanation for some of these verdicts .

Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Mani
04-24-2014, 11:39 PM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-beat-wheelchair-bound-man-guilty-charges/

As he defended himself on the stand he even proclaimed the “unofficial” police oath, “It’s a tough position to be in as a police officer because I have to go home. I have my wife and kids at home.”

Why do cops always end with...I have my wife and kids at home.

So are you the only people on the planet with a wife and kids at home? So when you are beating someone's skull is it relevant to you that they ALSO have a wife and kids at home?

WTF.

So you are justified in anal raping, beating, killing, and attacking people...out of fear for your safety and the fact that you have a wife and kid at home. Yet other people with a wife and kid, you will jail, beat, kill, and attack. So how come that has no relevance when your boots are cracking their skulls?

And worse you guys will shoot the kid or the wife or at least punch her in the face a few times. Or even if someone is not playing along you will THREATEN to or EVEN take their kid. So what's this sacred wife and kids at home relevance, when you don't give 2 fucks about anybody else and their wife and kids at home.

Uriel999
04-25-2014, 12:06 AM

As he defended himself on the stand he even proclaimed the “unofficial” police oath, “It’s a tough position to be in as a police officer because I have to go home. I have my wife and kids at home.”

So are you the only people on the planet with a wife and kids at home? So when you are beating someone's skull is it relevant to you that they ALSO have a wife and kids at home?

WTF.

So you are justified in anal raping, beating, killing, and attacking people...out of fear for your safety and the fact that you have a wife and kid at home. Yet other people with a wife and kid, you will jail, beat, kill, and attack. So how come that has no relevance when your boots are cracking their skulls?

And worse you guys will shoot the kid or the wife or at least punch her in the face a few times. Or even if someone is not playing along you will THREATEN to or EVEN take their kid. So what's this sacred wife and kids at home relevance, when you don't give 2 fucks about anybody else and their wife and kids at home.

Yes the wives and children of mundanes are just that...mundanes. They exist only to be assaulted, shot, and sexually assaulted by "Safety Officers." The families of said "Safety Officers" are the only ones that matter.

KCIndy
04-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Police union attorney Fredric Bruno insists that Jackson “punched” Jouppi and that his threat to throw his jacket was “terroristic” in nature. (That description is more accurately applied to Jouppi's threat to kidnap the female staffer after she complained about the beating he had inflicted on Jackson.)

GAH!

Good Lord... from now on, apparently ANY action not appreciated by the cops is going to earn one the label of "terrorist."

Jaywalking? You're a terrorist!

Don't pick up after your dog? You're a terrorist!

Piss off a cop? You're a terrorist!!

Welcome, my friends, to the New Normal. And may God have mercy on our souls. :(

Anti Federalist
04-25-2014, 12:19 AM
"See what you awful people made me do? O, how I suffer, in my daily execution of my patriotic duty!" - Officer Friendly

WTF.