PDA

View Full Version : Schumer: Milk Prices May Double Without Farm Bill

AuH20
09-30-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Schumer-Milk-prices-may-double-without-Farm-Bill-3907493.php

oyarde
09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Milk prices have already doubled , where I live, in the past four years. Last , I looked it was around twice the avg here in Hawaii. Schumer is a dirt bag. Screw a farm bill.

sparebulb
09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Good.

Maybe this will create a larger demand for "illegal" black market raw milk.

sparebulb
09-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Screw a farm bill.

plus one rep

AuH20
09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
A little background on what's going on with this "farm" bill:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120912/CITYANDREGION/120919636/1003

Chester Copperpot
09-30-2012, 10:39 PM
i just bought my milk for the month yesterday.. $3.50 a gallon.. fresh from the farm, raw, with the cream on top and everything..

Of course its a 5 hour round trip ride and i pay about $20 in tolls... but thats okay.

If I could buy this milk in NJ it would cost over $17 a gallon.

oyarde
09-30-2012, 11:20 PM
i just bought my milk for the month yesterday.. $3.50 a gallon.. fresh from the farm, raw, with the cream on top and everything..

Of course its a 5 hour round trip ride and i pay about $20 in tolls... but thats okay.

If I could buy this milk in NJ it would cost over $17 a gallon. $17 a gallon, serious? I hate milking and have never kept dairy animals, but keep me posted on prices, I may change my mind ...

Pauls' Revere
10-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Dairies in California are going broke...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/california-dairies-going-broke-due-feed-milk-prices

oyarde
10-01-2012, 01:09 AM

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/california-dairies-going-broke-due-feed-milk-prices I saw that , pretty soon , it will be like Hawaii and there will be none.

oyarde
10-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Oh , yeah , corn delivery for Dec went up 40 cents a bushel ( max for a day ) on the Chicago exhange Fri.

oyarde
10-01-2012, 01:20 AM

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/california-dairies-going-broke-due-feed-milk-prices

That Caly govt doomed them with price fixing , and it is a dairy state that had too much production , it will end with it all on the grill.

Zippyjuan
10-01-2012, 02:27 AM
The price fixing was supposed to help the dairies by keeping prices high but now the costs have caught up and the margins for the dairies are gone.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2012, 03:04 AM
$17 a gallon, serious? I hate milking and have never kept dairy animals, but keep me posted on prices, I may change my mind ...

Get a goat. The upkeep is much easier.

Lafayette
10-01-2012, 05:56 AM
"If we don't keep printing billions and going further into debt to provide subsides for ( insert industry here ) prices will go up" - said a politician.

:rolleyes:

Then there is this little gem from the article AuH20 posted -

"The reality is that we're dealing with a $60 trillion national debt," said Rep. Tom Reed, R-Corning. "No one wants to make, I don't want to make these cuts. But at the end of the day, we need to start living within our means."

Oh look, its a wild fiscal conservative! He came out of hibernation to denounce farm subsidies and food stamp funding. Careful little guy, you might see our economically draining global empire and domestic police state and have to crawl back into your hole for two more weeks of winter.

HOLLYWOOD
10-01-2012, 06:33 AM
hah... the price of the Inflation Tax via counterfeited Washington DC money, massive debt, loonie policies from the clowns in charge. Well, I have head to the gas station to fill-up on the mandated subsidized corn product E85. Sorry Cows, Cattle, Pork Bellies, etc...

2young2vote
10-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Maybe they wouldn't be having financial problems if they were allowed to simply bottle it while its fresh and take it right to the store. We buy the closest thing we can to natural and that is a non-homogenized milk that comes in glass bottles.

tony m
10-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Good.

Maybe this will create a larger demand for "illegal" black market raw milk.

Yes, that is a good way to raw out into a more mainstream conversation.

Working Poor
10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't use cows milk.

Chester Copperpot
10-01-2012, 07:04 AM
$17 a gallon, serious? I hate milking and have never kept dairy animals, but keep me posted on prices, I may change my mind ...

yeah $17 is for unhomogenized milk... But its still pasteurized AND I cant even find it in NJ anymore. (Maybe it cost more because of the glass bottles that were used)

NJ is probably the worst culprit for raw milk bc the guy who championed pasteurization of milk was either born here or started it here and this is where his "crusade" began...

Every state around us allows raw milk though

smithtg
10-01-2012, 07:49 AM
my dad was a dairy farmer, but I never realized until I grew older and wise how the gov't fixes the milk price to "help" the consumers and supposedly it "helps" the farmer. A free market with $6/gal milk "helps" everyone a hell of a lot more thant the gov't 'system" Im sorry Mr Schumer!

HOLLYWOOD
10-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah, so we need to spent Billions to keep milk from $6 a gallon, only to learn down the road, another notch in the collapse of the economy or at least your money will be worth less. That pesky "Inflation Tax" politicians love to use, and most Americans don't realize how they use it against them.

jbauer
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
The price fixing was supposed to help the dairies by keeping prices high but now the costs have caught up and the margins for the dairies are gone.

Not sure where you got your info, but milk/hundred weight hasn't been all the profitable over the years. Price fixing or not. Right now its running breakeven $/100#

Its my understanding that the hold up on the farm bill is the dollar ammount of food stamps which make up the vast majority of the farm bill.

truthsaga
10-01-2012, 08:20 AM
California passed it's own law ahead of the federal government due to possible constitutional challenges. Now, we have had this quota system and a government director attempting to set a true market price.