PDA

View Full Version : cop does not shoot dog

Henry Rogue
09-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Cop does not shoot dog.

My Wife and I where asleep this morning when Her cell phone rang. She answered saying “what, what happened!” in a very excited voice. She walked out of the room still talking on the phone and I promptly fell back to sleep. I’m use to that reaction, She gets excited easily. Later She came back in the room and told me that our neighbor’s dog had bit off our neighbor’s finger and that our neighbor was taken to the hospital and had called the cops to come and get the dog. This pique my interest.

the first thing I did was make sure our dog was safely inside. I said the cop’s going to shoot the dog. I told my Wife we should get the camera and record it. The cop hadn’t shown up yet and my Wife wanted to go to the diner and get breakfast so as we where leaving the cop pulls in the neighbors driveway. we get about a block away and the neighbor calls and asked if we would take the dog to the veterinary clinic, we agreed. we get back, the neighbor’s mother is standing by neighbor’s house, cop is standing by his car in driveway approach, neighbor’s dog is attached to long dog cable in yard barking at cop.

So my Wife takes the golf bags out of her SUV, I go get my dog’s leash and walk down the sidewalk. The cop takes a few steps toward me and says “I don’t want anybody to get bit.” I calmly in a low soothing voice said “It’s OK he won’t bite me” and walked on by. I calmly walked up to the dog, a large overweight male golden retriever, looking for signs ever vigilant. I spoke to him softly and let him examine the leash, hooked him up and unhooked the cable, I had no problem loading him into the back of the SUV. My Wife, Neighbor’s Mother and I drove to the vet clinic with the cop following us, we arrived and the clinic was very busy. this was the only time I was worried. there where a lot of dogs and this dog was growing more anxious as we stood in the lobby.

the cop and mother where filling out paper work in another room. so I asked the receptionist how long would it be. She asked me if I wanted to put the dog in a kennel I agreed. I said it was not my dog, but was my leash. so She grab a leash and hooked him up he started to resist Her and put his paw over the leash so I took over again and lead him back to the kennel and put him in. job done. This dog had bit it’s owner once before and I believe her kid once, I don’t know. The dog had always seemed a little off to me. I never trusted it. I believe it’s fate is sealed. My neighbor an EMT ironically, lost Her finger tip to the first knuckle on her ring finger on her right hand. She had surgery removing some bone and creating a skin flap to sow over the wound.

The cop did the right thing. He trusted himself to believe I knew what I was doing and I trusted myself that I could read that dog and give that dog the right signals. The dog was familiar with me and not the cop. I don’t think I would approach a strange dog so easily and fully trust I could read it. I think most of us have the ability to read each other and some of us can read domesticated animals. subconsciously perhaps. You need to bring it to the forefront to make good use of it. The cop falls back on his training by default. His training is a compromise. Putting himself and his comrades first, citizens second and animals last. Training is useful, it allows people to function in stressful situations, but I think it can also make things worse particularly if you’re not first on the list.

But at least this time he used his instincts.

alucard13mmfmj
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Dogs are like humans... some are just insane or killers.

Well, at least the dog will be put down by the vet and not by the cop.

michaelwise
09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the story.

Cops should first know they don't have to act immediately and probably doing something wrong.

There's usually time to assess the situation and act appropriately.

Anti Federalist
09-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Great story, good job and thanks for posting.

Carson
09-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Good job! Henry Rogue

No one needs to be bitten. Sometimes people can use an little help.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-29-2012, 10:09 PM
You did the right thing Henry. Well done.

TheGrinch
09-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear, but the messed up thing is that its even necessary to have a thread like this. In an ideal world "cop doesnt shoot dog" should be the equivalent of "I woke up and took a dump today". I wish this was non-news.

Nirvikalpa
09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Cop does not shoot dog.

My Wife and I where asleep this morning when Her cell phone rang. She answered saying “what, what happened!” in a very excited voice. She walked out of the room still talking on the phone and I promptly fell back to sleep. I’m use to that reaction, She gets excited easily. Later She came back in the room and told me that our neighbor’s dog had bit off our neighbor’s finger and that our neighbor was taken to the hospital and had called the cops to come and get the dog. This pique my interest. the first thing I did was make sure our dog was safely inside. I said the cop’s going to shoot the dog. I told my Wife we should get the camera and record it. The cop hadn’t shown up yet and my Wife wanted to go to the diner and get breakfast so as we where leaving the cop pulls in the neighbors driveway. we get about a block away and the neighbor calls and asked if we would take the dog to the veterinary clinic, we agreed. we get back, the neighbor’s mother is standing by neighbor’s house, cop is standing by his car in driveway approach, neighbor’s dog is attached to long dog cable in yard barking at cop. So my Wife takes the golf bags out of her SUV, I go get my dog’s leash and walk down the sidewalk. The cop takes a few steps toward me and says “I don’t want anybody to get bit.” I calmly in a low soothing voice said “It’s OK he won’t bite me” and walked on by. I calmly walked up to the dog, a large overweight male golden retriever, looking for signs ever vigilant. I spoke to him softly and let him examine the leash, hooked him up and unhooked the cable, I had no problem loading him into the back of the SUV. My Wife, Neighbor’s Mother and I drove to the vet clinic with the cop following us, we arrived and the clinic was very busy. this was the only time I was worried. there where a lot of dogs and this dog was growing more anxious as we stood in the lobby. the cop and mother where filling out paper work in another room. so I asked the receptionist how long would it be. She asked me if I wanted to put the dog in a kennel I agreed. I said it was not my dog, but was my leash. so She grab a leash and hooked him up he started to resist Her and put his paw over the leash so I took over again and lead him back to the kennel and put him in. job done. This dog had bit it’s owner once before and I believe her kid once, I don’t know. The dog had always seemed a little off to me. I never trusted it. I believe it’s fate is sealed. My neighbor an EMT ironically, lost Her finger tip to the first knuckle on her ring finger on her right hand. She had surgery removing some bone and creating a skin flap to sow over the wound. The cop did the right thing. He trusted himself to believe I knew what I was doing and I trusted myself that I could read that dog and give that dog the right signals. The dog was familiar with me and not the cop. I don’t think I would approach a strange dog so easily and fully trust I could read it. I think most of us have the ability to read each other and some of us can read domesticated animals. subconsciously perhaps. You need to bring it to the forefront to make good use of it. The cop falls back on his training by default. His training is a compromise. Putting himself and his comrades first, citizens second and animals last. Training is useful, it allows people to function in stressful situations, but I think it can also make things worse particularly if you’re not first on the list. But at least this time he used his instincts.

I think you meant pitbull? Surely a cute, family docile breed like a golden can't bite.

tod evans
09-30-2012, 07:55 AM
I suppose I could offer praise and salutations for the cop behaving like a human being....You know kind of like schools do for kids who actually show up and participate...

Instead I'd vote to let this particular cop keep his job for the time being knowing odds are against him maintaining any sort of human decency if he continues his employment.

Meanwhile I'd like to wish all the parties involved the best especially Henry for having the intestinal fortitude to brave contact with such a vicious creature.

Henry Rogue
09-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't think I did anything brave. My instinct when I first heard the cop was coming, was to stay in my house and not get involved. My instinct when my neighbor asked for my help, was to help. As for the interaction with the cop I was reading him just like I was reading the dog. If the cop would have given me any indication that he wasn't going to let me take control of the dog I would have backed off. A dog that will soon get the needle isn't worth going to jail over. The cop being alone may have made the difference. Had there been others he may have reacted differently.

Origanalist
09-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Interesting story. Cudo's to the cop for being a human being. It's a sad fact that some dogs just can't be trusted.

Anti Federalist
09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Interesting story. Cudo's to the cop for being a human being. It's a sad fact that some dogs just can't be trusted.

True, and the OP already stated that the dog was "off" and had bit the owner and her child already.

My old man had a Chow mix like that, bit damn near everybody that ever came to the house.

PaulConventionWV
09-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Dogs are like humans... some are just insane or killers.

Well, at least the dog will be put down by the vet and not by the cop.

Dogs are not at all like humans. Too much anthropomorphism of dogs. It's ridiculous.

Kylie
09-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Holy crap. The cop didn't show up and shoot the dog in the yard while it was tethered to a tree.

You could knock me over with a feather. And to boot, he actually let you take control of the situation. Surprised as shit, I am.

I have a way with dogs, weird really, so I've dealt with many a dog that no one else would/could handle, and most came with ease. Except that one big ass American bulldog. Motherfucker was at least 20 lbs more than I, and was not nice in any way. Thank goodness it was cold out and I had a thick coat on when he attacked me. Arm in the mouth, and threw his ass on the ground and sat on him till his owner got a leash. That dog found a new "home" too.

Some dogs are just not to be trusted. Sucks that the hoosiers overbred some breeds to the point of making them plain stupid(inbreeding makes crazy stupid messed up dogs).