PDA

View Full Version : Michael Savage is leaving his show, let's replace him with pro-liberty radio

Keith and stuff
09-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Several sources (http://www.knoe.com/story/19661539/michael-savage-leaves-radio-show-after-legal-win) reported (http://bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/media/view/20120927michael_savage_leaves_radio_show_after_leg al_win) that Michael Savage left his show. He won a lawsuit to work for any company he wants. The company he used to work for has already disassociated with him and it has to pay him over $1,000,000. Michael Savage will likely lose some, if not many of his 400 or so affiliates over this disruption. There is another radio show which occupies the same time slot, Free Talk Live. Free Talk Live is the most popular liberty radio show in the county with over 100 affiliates.

I highly recommend calling your local talk station within the next 48 hours and telling them that you want Free Talk Live on the station. Learn more about how to do this below with a message by Ian Freeman, co-host and creator of Free Talk Live.

Your phone call could make a difference. Please call their business line (check their website or http://radio-locator.com/ ), ask for the Program Director and tell that person you want to hear Free Talk Live at night to replace Savage.

More tips on calling stations are here: http://localfaq.freetalklive.com/

Please invite your friends!

Thank you for your help - this could be our biggest break yet.
Ian
Facebook event link https://www.facebook.com/events/407285799325753/

While Free Talk Lives make sense as the most likely show to replace Michael Savage as it uses the same time slot and is already big for a liberty show, I understand that for some reason or another, you may want to promote a different show. Here is a list of such shows (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?372488-Congratulations-to-FreeTalkLive-Heavy-Hundred-52!&highlight=liberty+radio+hosts).

Here is a sample email someone sent. It is for the NYC market. Feel free to change it and use in your market as a follow up to your phone call.

SAMPLE LETTER:
Mr. xxxxxx,
I read that Michael Savage is leaving the airwaves. I called your station this morning and they told me to email you with my radio show recommendation. I want to encourage you to check out Free Talk Live http://www.freetalklive.com/program_directors .

It's an open phones, issues oriented talk show that I listen to every single night of the week. They are liberty-oriented, and very independent minded, which I think many of Savage's listeners would appreciate. Due to the limited call screening process, they let ANYONE who calls in on the air, so there's always interesting and unique things to hear! I think NYC listeners, myself included, would really love (or hate) what they have to say, which is great for talk radio.

They are on 110 radio stations nationwide, and growing all the time.

I don't currently listen to WOR 710, but if you put Free Talk Live on the air weeknights in Savage's old timeslot, I definitely would.

Thanks for your time!
John Doe

fr33
09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Free Talk Live needs to be heard by more people!

I totally support this!

sparebulb
09-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Free Talk Live needs to be heard by more people!

I totally support this!

Seconded!

sparebulb
09-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Here it is:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PEOPLE_MICHAEL_SAVAGE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-09-27-22-19-59

Michael Savage leaves radio show after legal win

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Michael Savage's talk show left the airwaves Thursday after the conservative host won a legal battle with his longtime employer, although his attorney said discussions with new networks are already under way.

Savage posted a message on his website Thursday evening under the headline "Free at Last!" that said he was free to work with any station or network from now on. He said he "will not be heard on the radio for some time."

His attorney Daniel Horowitz said Savage left Talk Radio Network after obtaining a favorable ruling in arbitration Thursday afternoon.

More than 8 million people listen to Savage's show each week, placing him behind only Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity in ratings, according to the magazine Talkers. The immediate effect that his abrupt departure would have on companies that advertise on his show was unclear.

An email sent to Oregon-based Talk Radio Network was not immediately returned. Savage's bio and name already have been removed from the company's website.

Horowitz says Savage has been fighting the network for two years to get out a contract that was 10 years old and prevented the host from switching employers. Horowitz said the agreement lacked protections afforded to artists and entertainers under California law, and tied Savage to Talk Radio Network indefinitely.

Horowitz said Savage spent more than $900,000 fighting his case but was awarded more than $1 million in arbitration. The agreement also calls for Savage to be able to obtain all archived tapes of his show.

Savage, who broadcasts from San Francisco, was heard on nearly 400 stations and has gained notoriety for offending immigrants and minorities, calling the Muslim holy book, the Quran, a "book of hate" and being banned in 2009 from traveling to England for allegedly fostering extremism or hatred. After that decision, the host appealed to one of the targets of his barbs, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, for help.

A State Department spokesman said at the time that countries have a right to determine who is allowed to enter, but declined to comment further on Savage's request.

---

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

sparebulb
09-28-2012, 12:36 AM
crazy double post deleted

fr33
09-28-2012, 12:46 AM
I first heard Savage on 9/11. He was demanding that we bomb Mecca in retaliation.

Keith and stuff
09-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I first heard Savage on 9/11. He was demanding that we bomb Mecca in retaliation.

What is shocking is that the plan isn't even as crazy as the Bush plan to bomb Iraq and Afghanistan.

XTreat
09-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Or Jerry Doyle, might be more palatable to the neo-con vote.

BuddyRey
09-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Count me in! FTL FTW!

Tinnuhana
09-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Mike Church is good, too. How is Jan Mikkelson? He had a nice interview with Ron during the primaries.
Maybe give the first choice, given time slot as mentioned by OP, then list a few alternatives.

Anti-Neocon
09-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't know if anyone would want to replace Savage with FTL, simply because they both self-identify with different movements (conservative vs libertarian), so it'd probably be better to suggest Doyle or Church. Any of them would be miles above Savage though.

Keith and stuff
09-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't know if anyone would want to replace Savage with FTL, simply because they both self-identify with different movements (conservative vs libertarian), so it'd probably be better to suggest Doyle or Church. Any of them would be miles above Savage though.

How many affiliates does Church have? I don't know if you know much about Church but it is mostly a Sirius XM Radio. Doyle could actually get on some of these station so that suggestion makes sense. The problem with that is that Doyle may already be on some of these stations, so make sure you check the station line-up before recommending him. Additionally, since his show is at a different time, the show wouldn't be live, which some radio stations like.

Anyway about it, I provided a link to contact info for all of the somewhat known, somewhat pro-liberty radio shows in the county in the OP. The important thing is to act fast as Michael Savage may figure out a work around to losing most of his stations within a few days.

As for FTL, I mentioned it because it has the same time slot, the person behind it posts here, it is very pro-liberty like many of the people here and it actually has resources and a plan to help you contact station GMs. None of that stuff is true about any of the other shows people are talking about here. The key is to make this process as easy as possible for everyone involved. That means you, the GM and the show.

FSP-Rebel
09-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Whatever show people want to push for, make sure you either call or email your local station program manager now. It's the easiest form of activism to potentially get a better show on your local station. Since Savage is big, this also means that his affiliates have big audiences on heavy watt stations. There's no better chance than now to have an affect on talk radio's #3 spot.

The reason I push for FTL over other great shows is that it's a panel discussion driven by callers rather than the usual monologue. This format drives those who agree and disagree to call in to speak their piece and then they and the hosts can have a conversation about a topic and the audience can learn from it. It's a different kind of show and this immediately entices people since they're used to hearing one host go on and on whilst taking very few calls and only on one topic at hand. Not to mention the FSP is an advertiser on FTL and this concept will be given more ears as FTL continues to ad to their current 112 affiliates. They're also up to #52 on Talker's Heavy Hundred list.

Call or email your local program manager now, don't miss out on this unique opportunity. I just did mine.

Bastiat's The Law
09-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Jerry Doyle and Jan Mickelson are top notch choices!

Bastiat's The Law
09-28-2012, 10:12 AM
What about Jason Lewis?

Keith and stuff
09-28-2012, 10:23 AM
What about Jason Lewis?

Yes, I mentioned him. The point is though, I encourage people to follow the links I posted and take action ASAP. Calling a station director or manager today is best. If that isn't possible, emailing the station this weekend and calling Monday morning is also a great idea.

jmdrake
09-28-2012, 10:37 AM
He was replaced here months ago....by Mark Levine. :(

Keith and stuff
09-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Update:

Here is a sample email someone sent. It is for the NYC market. Feel free to change it and use in your market as a follow up to your phone call.

SAMPLE LETTER:
Mr. xxxxxx,
I read that Michael Savage is leaving the airwaves. I called your station this morning and they told me to email you with my radio show recommendation. I want to encourage you to check out Free Talk Live http://www.freetalklive.com/program_directors .

It's an open phones, issues oriented talk show that I listen to every single night of the week. They are liberty-oriented, and very independent minded, which I think many of Savage's listeners would appreciate. Due to the limited call screening process, they let ANYONE who calls in on the air, so there's always interesting and unique things to hear! I think NYC listeners, myself included, would really love (or hate) what they have to say, which is great for talk radio.

They are on 110 radio stations nationwide, and growing all the time.

I don't currently listen to WOR 710, but if you put Free Talk Live on the air weeknights in Savage's old timeslot, I definitely would.

Thanks for your time!
John Doe

GeorgiaAvenger
09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
I'd like Mike Church to get on the air.

Keith and stuff
09-29-2012, 04:39 AM
It has been reported that some stations already have plans to switch to new shows. This weekend is a great time to send a letter to a station program direct asking them to carry Free Talk Live. Please follow the email up on Monday with a phone call. Let's get pro-liberty radio on some of the around 400 station Michael Savage was on!

Bastiat's The Law
09-29-2012, 06:33 AM
What time slot was Savage in? I hardly ever listen to the radio.

sluggo
09-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Free Talk Live replaced Mark Levin in my city.:)

kathy88
09-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Free Talk Live replaced Mark Levin in my city.:)

Was it part of his public firing back in early spring? That was AWESOME. I just hear Levin's voice and I physically react. Dude is a complete windbag.

FSP-Rebel
09-29-2012, 11:00 AM
What time slot was Savage in? I hardly ever listen to the radio.
On the east coast, he aired live 6-9pm and that's why FTL is perfect for the slot, even if the station only carries 2 out of the 3 hours.

Bastiat's The Law
09-29-2012, 11:26 AM
On the east coast, he aired live 6-9pm and that's why FTL is perfect for the slot, even if the station only carries 2 out of the 3 hours.
What's the best FTL show? Can you post it? I don't think I ever heard it before.

coastie
09-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Levine still plays in my area. god that guys voice....

FSP-Rebel
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
What's the best FTL show? Can you post it? I don't think I ever heard it before.
The show airs every night 7-10pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year so it's hard to pick a best show. My favorites are on Saturdays when the bulk of their affiliates air it live. Since FTL is such an iconoclastic and pro-liberty show, it's hard for them to get many week day affiliates on heavy watt stations and I'm hoping that we can with such a big timer like Savage going cold for a while. You can hear any of FTL's shows since '06 for free on their website and the topics of conversation are listed in order so you can see what you'll be listening to, especially the more recent ones. For instance, in Last night's show (http://www.freetalklive.com/content/podcast_2012_09_28) they talked about this very subject of Savage going off air, prohibition, pot, student drug testing, calling talk stations, homophobia and other topics. Plus, each weekday they have a different host on the 3rd mic. Thursdays are cool because Michelle usually gets a little frisky with Mark. Mark is hilarious and is very good at taking on callers who are statists.

JamesButabi
09-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Definitely contacting a few stations.

heavenlyboy34
09-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Failing FTL, I nominate Chales Goyette. :) :cool: (a libertarian writer who was [in]famously fired from 550 KFYI for having the audacity to speak out against the Iraq invasion)

Bastiat's The Law
09-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Failing FTL, I nominate Chales Goyette. :) :cool: (a libertarian writer who was [in]famously fired from 550 KFYI for having the audacity to speak out against the Iraq invasion)
Oh he's good!

Keith and stuff
09-29-2012, 04:28 PM

There are a ton of 30 second and 60 second promos on the link you would likely send if you sent an email asking for Michael Savage to be replaced by Free Talk Live.
http://www.freetalklive.com/program_directors

Mark Edge was a delegate to the NH GOP Convention today so he might talk about that tonight or on the Sunday show.

Keith and stuff
10-01-2012, 08:43 AM
This morning or afternoon would be a great time to call your local talk radio station.

Carehn
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm going to be a bubble burst-er... because I have called my station to request new shows... Many of the stations buy shows by the package deal. Meaning they are in contracts for a number of years and Not just with one show but with all or most of them on the station. Contracts and shows can only be negotiated at the end of a contract. also Savage more then likely is sold by a dealer of shows who if the dealer does not deal 'free talk radio' then it would not be an option. Much like how if you request a beer to be brought in by your local store or bar they will tell you its not up to them they must ask the distributor.

BUT ITS WORTH A PHONE CALL>

timb2
10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I really could not care about Michael Savage because he was againist Ron Paul. Savage's real name is Michael Weiner he is another who changes his name to a gentile to pass as a christian. Savage is just another Gatekeeper who would make fun of guys who wanted him to talk of Bohemian Grove.911 and other stuff. Just another distractor to keep you from the truth.

emazur
10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
On the front page of Daily Paul it says Jerry Doyle (who endorsed Paul) is taking his place: http://www.dailypaul.com/257039/trn-moves-jerry-doyle-into-savage-slot

Keith and stuff
10-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the update. That is good news! I guess that means we should know call the radio stations again and ask that Jerry Doyle's old slot be filled with Free Talk Live?

mosquitobite
10-01-2012, 06:46 PM
On the front page of Daily Paul it says Jerry Doyle (who endorsed Paul) is taking his place: http://www.dailypaul.com/257039/trn-moves-jerry-doyle-into-savage-slot
awesome!!! :)

steph3n
10-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the update. That is good news! I guess that means we should know call the radio stations again and ask that Jerry Doyle's old slot be filled with Free Talk Live?

Yes that would be an impressive double win Doyle AND FTL!

RSLudlum
10-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Listening to Doyle right now on the local station which aired Savage. The same station (94.3 WSCC) broadcasts FTL but only on Saturdays.

Keith and stuff
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Listening to Doyle right now on the local station which aired Savage. The same station (94.3 WSCC) broadcasts FTL but only on Saturdays.

Awesome! Please call the station and also ask it to air FTL on Sunday. FTL is live 7 days a week :)

steph3n
10-02-2012, 12:52 AM

'the greatest voice on talk radio'.....god that ego!

Keith and stuff
10-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Even on Sat and Sun? Please call the PD and ask to have FTL 7 days a week or Jerry Doyle on weekdays and FTL on weekends.

wgadget
10-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Done.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?391492-TRN-moves-Jerry-Doyle-into-Savage-timeslot

Keith and stuff
10-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I just received this email from Downsize DC. Please take a look and take action to get Free Talk Live on more radio stations. Note, if you station is replacing Michael Savage with Jerry Doyle, you might want to actually ask the station to replace the old Jerry Doyle time slot with Free Talk Live.

I know there are a few companies with a lot of power in radio and some stations are locked into contracts. However, many stations aren't locked into a contract over this. Free Talk Live started on 1 station. Now it in on 100+ stations. It isn't connected with a major company but the small GCN. Calling stations does work. FTL's growth is proof!

Here's your Savage opportunity . . .

Michael Savage has quit his national radio talk show
We want stations that carried his show to replace it with "Free Talk Live."
You should want this because . . .

"Free Talk Live" is a national show that runs Downsize DC ads.
Jim Babka has been a guest on this show more than any other.
No other show is more in line with our "Deny Consent" approach.
"Free Talk Live" already appears on 110 stations.
If you already know that Savage was broadcast in your area then . . .

Call the station's business line, ask for the program director, and request "Free Talk Live" as a replacement. Give the progam director this URL for more information: http://www.freetalklive.com/

If you DON'T know that Savage was broadcast in your area then do this . . .

Go here: http://radio-locator.com/
Search for the station listing for your area
Pick-out the talk or news/talk stations
Visit the website for each one to see which ones carried Michael Savage
If you find one, call the program director and ask for "Free Talk Live" to replace Savage.

This is an urgent opportunity because . . .

Savage quit his show abruptly, leaving 400 stations scrambling for a replacement. Programming decisions are being made now, so please act now!

Final instructions . . .

Please be honest when you call a program director. If you're already a listener - say so, and compliment something you like about the station. If you're NOT a listener, admit that, and suggest you would listen if "Free Talk Live" were on-the-air.

Happy hunting and thanks!

Jim Babka
President
DownsizeDC.org, Inc.