PDA

View Full Version : Blowback to the GOP from redistricting Ron's district?

sailingaway
09-27-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/12661/new-poll-shows-former-congressman-nick-lampson-in-lead-for-texas-cd14

nobody's_hero
09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Okay, you're gonna have to spell it out for me:

How exactly is this blowback?

For instance, did they poll these people further to find out if they were Ron Paul supporters or not?

specsaregood
09-27-2012, 06:56 PM
I like that Stockman will be representing a piece of Ron's old district. I think he'll do a well above average job of following Dr. Paul's lead.

nobody's_hero
09-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Okay I'm really lost, now. Who is Stockman? the candidate names I see in that press release are Randy Webber and Nick Lampson. I must have missed something. *throws hands up* lol

(haven't been following TX 14 closely, last post I read on RPF regarding TX 14 is that the grassroots dropped the ball by not running anyone to fill Ron Paul's shoes)

EDIT: Not trying to be dense, I truly don't know what's going on.

EDIT #2, are you sure you posted the article you meant to?

specsaregood
09-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Ron's district got split up into new districts. The article is about 1 piece of his old district, and I think SA was implying the blowback was the GOP losing the district for screwing with Ron. Since Ron likely has many friends and supporters locally.

I went slightly off topic with the positive comment that Steve Stockman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stockman will probably win the district that is another piece of Ron's old district. Stockman just won a really fun little race that went unnoticed but he had the establishment worked up and was way outspent. Ron maxed out in donations to stockman, fwiw.

nobody's_hero
09-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Ah, thanks. Good cliff notes on the situation.

Bastiat's The Law
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Ron's district got split up into new districts. The article is about 1 piece of his old district, and I think SA was implying the blowback was the GOP losing the district for screwing with Ron. Since Ron likely has many friends and supporters locally.

I went slightly off topic with the positive comment that Steve Stockman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stockman will probably win the district that is another piece of Ron's old district. Stockman just won a really fun little race that went unnoticed but he had the establishment worked up and was way outspent. Ron maxed out in donations to stockman, fwiw.
That's awesome!

Bastiat's The Law
09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Wasn't the democrat expected to win?

fr33
09-27-2012, 11:23 PM
The real blowback was against Ron Paul. That's why they gerrymandered him out.

sailingaway
09-27-2012, 11:28 PM
The real blowback was against Ron Paul. That's why they gerrymandered him out.

He would have won, but he'd have had to spend time on it. This might have interfered with a presidential run. And he didn't choose to do it.

And so the GOP may lose what should have been a safe seat if they hadn't played games.

AJ Antimony
09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh come on. Why are you giving the Democrat credibility?

A new poll of likely voters released by the Nick Lampson for Congress campaign...

So the Democrat says he's up by 3%? Then Weber's actually up by 5%-10%.

Smart3
09-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Lampson has a pretty good shot at this seat, and I'm not sure it would be bad if he did win. Weber supports TRANSVAGINAL and has consistently voted for big government. Dr. Paul must have had a gun to his head when he endorsed Weber and Cruz.

Compare Weber and Cruz to Wes Riddle.. no comparison.

Zach Grady 2012 :)

PierzStyx
09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
He would have won, but he'd have had to spend time on it. This might have interfered with a presidential run. And he didn't choose to do it.

And so the GOP may lose what should have been a safe seat if they hadn't played games.

I think Nader hit it on the head saying he thought Ron was retiring because he was tired.

sailingaway
09-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Lampson has a pretty good shot at this seat, and I'm not sure it would be bad if he did win. Weber supports TRANSVAGINAL and has consistently voted for big government. Dr. Paul must have had a gun to his head when he endorsed Weber and Cruz.

Compare Weber and Cruz to Wes Riddle.. no comparison.

Zach Grady 2012 :)

I got the impression Ron supported Cruz specifically for Rand. The handwringing and gratitude I perceived in Rand's face at the Cruz rally Ron went to and the length of time he held out not endorsing anyone (until right before the primary) led me to that belief. (and Rand and De Mint endorsed Cruz early.) As to Weber, he waited until after the primary then only endorsed in the run off. He hasn't campaigned for the guy or sent out an email that I have seen, it is one of Ron's 'you can say I endorsed you' endorsements, but I don't think he really cares.