PDA

View Full Version : A third of public fears police use of drones

shane77m
09-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Only a third?

Edit: forgot the link
http://news.yahoo.com/third-public-fears-police-drones-184211444.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CStxmRQZHkAIm3QtDMD

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aOyB6sEmqC.mOu550t3Znw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTU5MDtjcj0xO2N3PTI0MjI7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQxNDtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/f47e032745c3611b1c0f6a706700f864.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — More than a third of Americans worry their privacy will suffer if drones like those used to spy on U.S. enemies overseas become the latest police tool for tracking suspected criminals at home, according to an Associated Press-National Constitution Center poll.

Congress has directed the Federal Aviation Administration to come up with safety regulations that will clear the way for routine domestic use of unmanned aircraft within the next three years. The government is under pressure from a wide range of interests to open U.S. skies to drones. Oil companies want them to monitor pipelines. Environmentalists want them to count sea lions on remote islands. Farmers want them to fly over crops with sensors that can detect which fields are wet and which need watering. They're already being used to help fight forest fires. And the list goes on.

Manufacturers are also keen to cash in on what they expect to be a burgeoning new drone market. Government and commercial drone-related expenditures are forecast to total $89 billion worldwide over the next decade. On the leading edge of that new market are state and local police departments, who say that in many cases drones are cheaper, more practical and more effective than manned aircraft. Most of them would be small drones, generally weighing less than 55 pounds. They could be used, for example, to search for missing children or to scout a location ahead of a SWAT team.

DGambler
09-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Drones scare the shit out of me, it's the first step on the road to Skynet.

RockEnds
09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Only 1/3?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-27-2012, 01:52 PM
More than a third of Americans worry their privacy will suffer if drones like those used to spy on U.S. enemies overseas become the latest police tool for tracking suspected criminals at home, according to an Associated Press-National Constitution Center poll.

What's the poll question? You know probably any one of us could write a question yielding a 2/3 result or more.

coastie
09-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, 100% of the police don't give a shit what the public thinks.

Lucille
09-27-2012, 02:15 PM
1/3? That's what I was gonna say. WTH are they polling? Oh right. The same ones that think the TSA is doing a good job, and that if you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-27-2012, 02:20 PM
That drone looks like it has a mini-Hellfire missile tube on its underbelly.

This seems appropriate:

Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition comports with these war-like preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled, that force must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask, gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us; they can be meant for no other. They are sent over to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the British ministry have been so long forging. And what have we to oppose to them? Shall we try argument? Sir, we have been trying that for the last ten years. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to entreaty and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves. Sir, we have done everything that could be done, to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne. In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free˛ if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending˛if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained, we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of Hosts is all that is left us!

coastie
09-27-2012, 02:20 PM
1/3? That's what I was gonna say. WTH are they polling? Oh right. The same ones that think the TSA is doing a good job, and that if you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about.

Yep...and I'm sure that notion evaporated from the conscious of the people in the countries we have these things flying around and dropping bombs on a loooooong time ago.

Let's ask them if they feel that they have nothing to hide, and feel safer for it.

phill4paul
09-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Well, 100% of the police don't give a shit what the public thinks.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/250084_4090993465991_1685621680_n.jpg

juleswin
09-27-2012, 03:15 PM
And the other 2/3 asked "what is a drone?"

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-27-2012, 03:16 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/250084_4090993465991_1685621680_n.jpg

Uh, that sounds like our Pericles.

QuickZ06
09-27-2012, 03:55 PM
latest police tool for tracking suspected criminals at home

I think we all made "the list". Thanks Patriot Act and NDAA :rolleyes:

coastie
09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I think we all made "the list". Thanks Patriot Act and NDAA :rolleyes:

But it was for our safety, to protect us against scary Allah worshipers and domestic terrorists, hellllo?

Reported.

:p

fr33
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Only a third?

Edit: forgot the link
http://news.yahoo.com/third-public-fears-police-drones-184211444.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CStxmRQZHkAIm3QtDMD

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aOyB6sEmqC.mOu550t3Znw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTU5MDtjcj0xO2N3PTI0MjI7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQxNDtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/f47e032745c3611b1c0f6a706700f864.jpgThat picture scares the shit out of me. Everything about it.

TheGrinch
09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
That and those who believe that giving up more privacy for "safety" is worth it. 66% sounds about right.

ClydeCoulter
09-27-2012, 11:18 PM
So why are drones mentioned with little helecopters or planes looking over crops and sea lions? You could do that for last 10 years. RC Plane/heli with camera anyone? What's that got to do with these larger things that can carry more than a camera?

fr33
09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
So why are drones mentioned with little helecopters or planes looking over crops and sea lions? You could do that for last 10 years. RC Plane/heli with camera anyone? What's that got to do with these larger things that can carry more than a camera?It's still a drone. A surveillance drone. It's only a matter of time before they both enlarge and weaponize them. Why do the thought police need to spy on us every second?

shane77m
09-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Was it Judge Napolitano that said that the first person to shoot down a drone over American skies would be a hero?

libertyjam
09-28-2012, 07:13 AM

Thats what I was thinking :)

FrancisMarion
09-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Was it Judge Napolitano that said that the first person to shoot down a drone over American skies would be a hero?

Krauthammer, said a "folk hero"

Who is going to pay for these things to be replenished? Oh wait....looks like property taxes are going to be going up.