PDA

View Full Version : If It's Good Enough For Mickey, Why Not For Paul?

0zzy
11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
News of a federal raid last week on a "sound money" outfit that is selling "Ron Paul Dollars," reported in Saturday's Post, is generating no end of quips in the blogosphere about what this development says about the Paul campaign's eye-popping recent fundraising success. Wags ask: How much of that record $4.2 million one-day haul that Paul collected earlier this month actually came in the form of dubloons imprinted with Paul's face, not U.S. legal tender?

But these jokes may be missing the point entirely. In fact, the lack of confidence that many Paul supporters have in U.S. currency may well be one reason why they are sending so many of their greenbacks to Paul's campaign, and thereby making his outsider libertarian bid for the Republican presidential nomination a force to be reckoned with. For sound-money supporters who fear a coming collapse in the value of the dollar, it makes eminent sense to send a few hundred dollars to the one candidate who is arguing for a monetary revolution, instead of simply watching that money rapidly crumble in value.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/11/19/if_its_good_enough_for_mickey.html

Pretty good article. This is def. a blessing in disguise.

In an interview today, [Peter] Schiff said he expects that the federal raid on the National Organization for the Repeal of the Federal Reserve and Internal Revenue Code had added more weight to his argument for giving to the Paul campaign. "The federal government is debasing the currency and then it comes in and punishes people who are doing something to protect themselves," he said. "The fact that these guys would come in and raid this organization shows how much they've got to fear from this. If more and more people start shunning the currency, it takes away from their power."

Lawrence White, an economics professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, said Liberty Dollar supporters had a point in charging overreaction on the part of the federal government. The question to be asked of Liberty Dollars, he said, is whether they make any sense for customers to buy -- while the certificates may offer a hedge for those convinced that the dollar will go in the tank, they come with the obvious downside that it is difficult to find others willing to accept the Liberty Dollars as a legal tender (though not in Berryville, Ark., where, according to the chamber of commerce, about half of the town's 80 merchants accept Liberty Dollars.)But that choice should be up to Americans to make, White said. "Unless they think people are being defrauded, it seems absurd to me," he said of the raid."The public ought to have a choice. Thank goodness we have an alternative to the post office."

Dorfsmith
11-19-2007, 03:41 PM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/11/19/if_its_good_enough_for_mickey.html

Pretty good article. This is def. a blessing in disguise.

You bet. I just got done reading that and thought it was pretty good.

skinnyskittles1989
11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
'"I'm sure I'm going to be arrested, and I'd be disappointed if I'm not," he said. "I want to get going. I think it's going to be exciting."' - Von NotHaus

haha gotta love it

crhoades
11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Just read this. An article that mentions Schiff's advice of donating $2300, the Boston Tea Party, and the Liberty Dollar fiasco. This couldn't have been more slanted in the right direction for a big haul!

0zzy
11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Just read this. An article that mentions Schiff's advice of donating $2300, the Boston Tea Party, and the Liberty Dollar fiasco. This couldn't have been more slanted in the right direction for a big haul!

amen.

VoteRonPaul2008
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
good news