PDA

View Full Version : SHOCK VIDEO: Police Shoot Homeowner's Attacking Dogs [VIDEO RELEASED]

fearthereaperx
09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYd9beJ9t_0

Carehn
09-26-2012, 10:45 PM
this was justified. Sorry but for once i take the Cops side.

Edit... If the cops where at that house for a just reason that is.

dbill27
09-26-2012, 10:48 PM
It looks like the dogs attacked him.

fearthereaperx
09-26-2012, 10:51 PM

It was for a 'welfare check' according to the police

Carehn
09-26-2012, 10:55 PM
It was for a 'welfare check' according to the police

So nun of this needed to happen your telling me?

dbill27
09-26-2012, 10:58 PM

Doesn't really matter why the cops were there in my opinion. They weren't breaking down his door, they were knocking and asking if anyone was home. The guy opened the door and let his dogs run out and attack the cop. They both attacked and seemed like violent dogs, I would have tracked the other dog down and shot him to. You have a responsibility as a dog owner with how your dogs act and to know what your dogs are going to do around other people.

dbill27
09-26-2012, 11:00 PM
So nun of this needed to happen your telling me?

The guy at the door asked no questions before letting his dog out, for all he knew the cops were there to inform him someone murdered his family member, what if this was a mailman needing a signature and this guy couldn't control his dogs from running out.

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 11:01 PM
First cop open the door a little bit without permission.

Tod
09-26-2012, 11:04 PM
When the cop heard the dogs coming to the door, why didn't he pull the door closed? By knocking on the door, he actually opened it more, make it easier for them to get out.

edit: the homeowner DID leave the door open initially, and the dogs were attacking the officer; I can't blame them for shooting the dog. As is commonly the case, the homeowner's negligence resulted in his dog paying the price.

dbill27
09-26-2012, 11:05 PM
First cop open the door a little bit without permission.

how are you supposed to knock on an open door without it moving a little bit?

DerailingDaTrain
09-26-2012, 11:05 PM
nvm

dbill27
09-26-2012, 11:08 PM
When the cop heard the dogs coming to the door, why didn't he pull the door closed? By knocking on the door, he actually opened it more, make it easier for them to get out.

hows he supposed to know it's a violent dog thats going to attack anyone standing outside, hows he supposed to know the dog isn't on a leash or under the owners control? Sorry, I would have shot the dogs and arrested the owner, and I generally hate cops. But I hate people that train violent dogs that they don't control, I'm tired of hearing about children getting killed by some asshole thugs pittbulls.

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 11:08 PM
how are you supposed to knock on an open door without it moving a little bit?

Not knocking on a semi open door, but instead calling the home owner.

dbill27
09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Not knocking on a semi open door, but instead calling the home owner.

pretty lame, it's the cops fault, he should have known better? what if a girl scout selling cookies came to the door and did the same thing? Because the owners negligence was that he had apparently violent dogs in his house, and he left his door open, the dogs probably would have gotten out regardless of the extra 3 inches the cop accidently moved the door open. It's apparent that he didn't purposefully open the door and peer in. Part of liberty and libertarianism is responsibility for your actions.

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 11:28 PM
pretty lame, it's the cops fault, he should have known better? what if a girl scout selling cookies came to the door and did the same thing? Because the owners negligence was that he had apparently violent dogs in his house, and he left his door open, the dogs probably would have gotten out regardless of the extra 3 inches the cop accidently moved the door open. It's apparent that he didn't purposefully open the door and peer in. Part of liberty and libertarianism is responsibility for your actions.

Girl scouts are smarter than cops. Door was semi open and the dogs were in the house, it wasn't until the cop knocked and moved the door that they went out. It was no accident that he move the door.

alucard13mmfmj
09-26-2012, 11:58 PM
At any rate... the cops had to defend themselves or get torn up. It doesn't matter who's fault it is. The dogs are attacking and if you were in the policeman's position, you'd probably defend yourself (even if you let the dogs out).

The dogs did the job they were trained to and probably died doing it. Can't fault the dogs.

Carehn
09-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Doesn't really matter why the cops were there in my opinion. They weren't breaking down his door, they were knocking and asking if anyone was home. The guy opened the door and let his dogs run out and attack the cop. They both attacked and seemed like violent dogs, I would have tracked the other dog down and shot him to. You have a responsibility as a dog owner with how your dogs act and to know what your dogs are going to do around other people.

It is very true that people need to be good dog owners. Many of them are poor at it. They think aggression is a funny behavior in a dog or somehow makes them as the owner more manly. These people are for the most part slow compared to most. What I meant is if the cops where showing up to tell the guy he parked a little off the curb or wanted to snoop around it is half there fault.

I own an akita. A very large and aggressive dog by nature. If the cops kicked my door down she would bark but I don't see her attacking unless they started to manhandle me personally . My dog would have never attacked the cops in the video mind you. She would have wanted to lick them and meet them. But its also something cops should know as I do. When going to some random house that has dogs, I always assume they may not be like my dog.

One think I have noticed that may not be true is,,, the Poorer the person the better chance the dog they own is aggressive. Call me a bad person but I call them like I see them.

Carehn
09-27-2012, 12:12 AM
nvm

Professor8000
09-27-2012, 12:28 AM
This is one of those videos they will spread around and say, "See! This is why we have to shoot the dogs every time we see them! They attack! It's not safe!"

If it were just one dog, I could bring it to the ground without killing it, while also being unarmed. With two, I can handle myself long enough for the owner to collect them without me having to kill them. Any more than that it gets harder and harder to deal with without having to use deadly force. Some people would just rather shoot than get their hands dirty.

DerailingDaTrain
09-27-2012, 06:35 AM
nvm

specsaregood
09-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Wow, you misunderstood me, and then made a lot of assumptions. Nice job

My dogs are wary of strangers and very protective. They don't go around biting children or murdering old ladies.

You should have phrased it differently then. Because ya know, children and old ladies can be strangers as well.

phill4paul
09-27-2012, 06:46 AM
From what I can see I'd have to put this one on the dog owner. There was ample opportunity to restrain the dogs and it seemed he actually opened the door wider allowing them out. What is it he says at the 1:22 mark? Something like "You better go" ?

DerailingDaTrain
09-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Yeah

I should have phrased it differently

Origanalist
09-27-2012, 07:00 AM
From what I can see I'd have to put this one on the dog owner. There was ample opportunity to restrain the dogs and it seemed he actually opened the door wider allowing them out. What is it he says at the 1:22 mark? Something like "You better go" ?

That's what I heard.

Origanalist
09-27-2012, 07:04 AM
This one is nobody's fault but the owners. I don't care about the whether the cops should be there or not in this case. That is an entirely different discussion.

It appears to me those dogs would have attacked anybody, if you can't train that out of your animals you shouldn't have them.

fisharmor
09-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Perhaps the cops were justified.
I still need to ask the question:
If I was knocking on someone's door, their dogs charged out and attacked, and I shot them, would I walk away free?
Or would I get taken to a cell?
Would I keep my firearm?
How much of my personal savings (I don't have access to bottomless municipal funds) would I drain defending myself in court?
Would the state's prosecutor be friendly toward me, or antagonistic?
Do I have a record of service to the state, or do I have an average of three felonies a day committed in my ignorance, which can be used as charge multipliers?
Will I even see the day when I'm tried, or will they present me with a case where I could be looking at either 50 years in maximum security if I lose a trial, or 3 months if I plea out?

Were the cops justified? Maybe. But the VERY NEXT QUESTION must always be "Could I have done the same thing?"

Origanalist
09-27-2012, 07:10 AM
If I was knocking on someone's door, their dogs charged out and attacked, and I shot them, would I walk away free?
Would I keep my firearm?
How much of my personal savings (I don't have access to bottomless municipal funds) would I drain defending myself in court?
Do I have a record of service to the state, or do I have an average of three felonies a day committed in my ignorance, which can be used as charge multipliers?
Will I even see the day when I'm tried, or will they present me with a case where I could be looking at either 50 years in maximum security if I lose a trial, or 3 months if I plea out?

Were the cops justified? Maybe. But the VERY NEXT QUESTION must always be "Could I have done the same thing?"

Probably not, not without a whole bunch of dog bites to justify it.

phill4paul
09-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Would I keep my firearm?

Good points. All.

But in this instance I have to ask myself "Would I have done the same thing?" regardless of the outcome. What if ( I know, I hate what if's too) the individual had parked in a manner that blocked my driveway. I would have approached in the same manner. I may have closed the door and continued to knock when I heard the dogs. However, once the door had opened and the two dogs attacked then, yeah, I would have put them down. Regardless of the outcome from a legal standpoint.

Root
09-27-2012, 07:22 AM
As soon as the cops heard the dogs barking, they should have backed away, taken a more defensive position, tried another door/approach, called the local animal control officer for backup. This could have ended without bloodshed.

jbauer
09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
yup shoot away, I'm taking the cops side on this one.

jbauer
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Good points. All.

But in this instance I have to ask myself "Would I have done the same thing?" regardless of the outcome. What if ( I know, I hate what if's too) the individual had parked in a manner that blocked my driveway. I would have approached in the same manner. I may have closed the door and continued to knock when I heard the dogs. However, once the door had opened and the two dogs attacked then, yeah, I would have put them down. Regardless of the outcome from a legal standpoint.

If you had a reason to be on the mans property (assuming the cops did) and the dogs attacked you (and you had video to prove it) then yes I think you would have been in the clear.

pcosmar
09-27-2012, 07:53 AM
What was the warrant for? If they did not have a valid warrant, signed by a judge, Stating what they were searching for,,,

Then they had NO Business There, and should have retreated when the heard the Guard dogs.
They were trespassing.

This would only be justified if they had a valid Warrant,,

JK/SEA
09-27-2012, 08:35 AM
geezus 'h' christ...aren't cop cars equipped with loudspeakers?....pull into the driveway, make an announcement over the speakers...'MR. JONES..THIS IS THE POLICE...yada yada...damn...too much rocket science involved i guess...

youngbuck
09-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I think the cop should have pulled the door closed when he heard the dog barks getting closer. That would have helped avoid the escalation. Also, as far as him knocking and opening the door more, he could have instead banged his flashlight on the door-jam.

But if those dogs rushed me in the same manner, I'd probably be squeezin' my trigger too.

In the end, this was caused by a "welfare check" for a couple of kids living at the house. So, chances are, some busy-body douchebag called the cops on him and helped get his dog killed.

presence
09-27-2012, 02:34 PM
[]
Were the cops justified? Maybe. But the VERY NEXT QUESTION must always be

"Could I have done the same thing?"

New Internet acronym meme for police brutality: CIHDTST? +rep Quote of the day.

My take? I go back to... I'm a contractor. I get tested by dog mouth a few times every year on various property I'm supposed to be on; bull mastiff to the elbow and shepherd to the calf the two most recent. If I turn my Estwing on the skull of every customer's dog that bites me, my family wouldn't stay fed. If I can deal with a pitbull attempting to hump my leg while I add a breaker to a live service... I think they should be just fine observing the welfare of minors with their gun in their holster.

presence

tod evans
09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Just another reason to disarm police.

I'm taking the homeowners side here, trespassing cop deserves to get bit.