PDA

View Full Version : Human Resource Question

jbauer
09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Might be off topic, if it is mods please put it where it should go

I’ve got a college friend who works at a credit union (this is a real friend not me). She went out for her birthday to a bar and got drunk. She’s in her mid-30s. 2 coworkers and 1 spouse of a coworker went plus other friends. They went out on a Friday night and didn’t have to work Saturday. At work on Monday “people” were talking about her party. Her boss called her in and reprimanded her. Something went into her file. She called it a strike on a 3 strike system.

She didn’t break any laws, didn’t get thrown out of the bar and didn’t drive home. She didn’t have to work the next day and was fully recovered for work on Monday. She told me she partied like she was back in college so in fairness it probably wasn't 5 people sharing 1 bottle of wine.

Can a W2 employer tell you what you can and can’t do when you’re not working? I could see if you were a contract employee (1099) they could terminate your contract. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn’t some sort of language in some employee handbook (that she agreed she read even though no one reads them) I just think its wrong for them to give her a strike that will probably go against her in case raises or promotions are at stake?

My wife says I’m wrong and the employer can do whatever they want to. I think its BS and probably would have walked out that day. (thankfully my wife puts up with me) Does this sort of thing happen in the real world? Its quite possible that I’m living under a rock since I haven’t had an “employee” status in years. I'm self employed.

A follow up question would be what other things can companies "require" you to do or not to do?

RickyJ
09-26-2012, 03:05 PM
If it is at will employment then they can, if she has a contract then they might not be able to.

Acala
09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
As RickyJ said, unless there is a contract, the relationship between a private employer and an employee is "at will" on both sides. The employee can leave for any reason or no reason and the employer can terminate for ALMOST any reason. Employers are prohibited from making employment decisions for certain reasons. The full list of reasons depends on the state but will include race, national origin, religion, and gender (with some rare exceptions), and maybe age. Firing a person for behaving badly off the job is generally not prohibited.

jbauer
09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Very interesting. She's from Wi not sure what their rules are.

Thats amazing that an employer can condone or not condone outside of work off the payroll legal activities. Probably why I don't work for anyone but my clients.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-26-2012, 03:24 PM
If I were her, I'd start looking for a new job. Why wait on more bullshit? Maybe she can find a credit union that parties more.

You might also assume from this (or not) that maybe the people there just don't like her - whether they're jealous of her, she's annoying, who knows... I'm not trying to say anything good or bad about her, but you've clearly pointed out that it isn't related to job performance, so I'm assuming it must be political.

In my experience, public school teachers drink and get high like you wouldn't believe. I've worked with groups of traveling electricians and even traveling painters that drank less. I've never heard of any of them getting reprimanded for it.

jbauer
09-26-2012, 03:26 PM
I told her to not tell them to F*** off till she found a new job but get busy because they'd come up with more BS.

brandon
09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I feel like there's more to the story she's not telling you. Something happened beyond consuming too much alcohol on Friday night. Just a gut feeling. Maybe she was trash talking the boss, or went home with a coworker.

jbauer
09-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I feel like there's more to the story she's not telling you. Something happened beyond consuming too much alcohol on Friday night. Just a gut feeling. Maybe she was trash talking the boss, or went home with a coworker.

One of the higher ups got demoted to her department and doesn't like her. She writes more loans which is good for the credit union, but kinda works like a smart kid setting the bar to high on the chemistry test thus making everyone else look bad. Thats how it all started according to her.

I doubt she went home with anyone.

LibForestPaul
09-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Yes, always the victom. They can make you attend political rallies, they can tell you to go back to work after a plane hits your sister building, theu can do any bs they want. It sucks balls working as a wage slave. It's life. Time for her to move on.