PDA

View Full Version : Texas Congressional debate in Spanish

tsai3904
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Two Texas congressional candidates faced off in Spanish in a debate that could help decide one of the closest races in the country.

Incumbent Republican Rep. Francisco Canseco, 63, a tea party conservative, and challenger Pete Gallego, 50, a Democratic state representative, participated in the hourlong debate sponsored by AARP Texas and the Spanish-language network Univision.

“Welcome to this historic event, in Spanish!” KWEX Univision 41 anchor Arantxa Loizaga, the debate moderator, said as she greeted the crowd of about 250 people at Palo Alto College in San Antonio late Tuesday.

The screen behind her read, “Destino 2012: En Espanol.”

The audience included many Latino seniors, as well as whites and younger voters from the 23rd Congressional District, which stretches along two-thirds of the border from San Antonio to El Paso. Some wore American flag T-shirts, others World War II veteran caps.

English translations for each candidate were provided to spectators via headsets distributed at the start of the debate.

More:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-texas-debate-spanish-20120926,0,4851980,full.story

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Que?

pochy1776
09-26-2012, 10:48 AM
ENGLISH PLEASE Were in America.

Athan
09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
This is Texas. America unofficially ends at the Sarita checkpoint near Corpus Christi so I'm not surprised this was held in Spanish. Texas is bi-lingual in most parts of the southern half.

brandon
09-26-2012, 11:10 AM

No me importa el idioma que hablen en, siempre y cuando no trate de forzarme a hablar.

Barrex
09-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Obidubi didirli gigity gigity go.

BSU kid
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
There is no national language, hence this is fine by me. If the locals prefer Spanish, that is their business not mine.

alucard13mmfmj
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
so... if i dont know spanish, i am out of luck?

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Don't worry, politicians don't speak either English or Spanish.

BSU kid
09-26-2012, 12:23 PM

You can use the English translation headphones.

pochy1776
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
No me importa el idioma que hablen en, siempre y cuando no trate de forzarme a hablar.

Son, somos una nación de habla Inglés y debemos proteger eso. La boleta NYC mierda está en 8 idiomas!

libertariantexas
09-26-2012, 01:46 PM
As the Libertarian candidate in that race, I don't have a problem with a Spanish language debate on a Spanish language television station.

I am surprised that they didn't ask me to participate. Not that I would have done it, because my Spanish is pretty rudimentary, but they should have at least asked. The English language stations usually invite all candidates on the ballot (here in TX, that usually means just the GOP, Dems, and Libertarians) to televised debates when they have them for Congressional districts.

Barrex
09-26-2012, 02:35 PM
As the Libertarian candidate in that race, I don't have a problem with a Spanish language debate on a Spanish language television station.

I am surprised that they didn't ask me to participate. Not that I would have done it, because my Spanish is pretty rudimentary, but they should have at least asked. The English language stations usually invite all candidates on the ballot (here in TX, that usually means just the GOP, Dems, and Libertarians) to televised debates when they have them for Congressional districts.

Send a letter and complain to them, tv media etc.
;)

MelissaWV
09-26-2012, 02:41 PM

*We're

I won't even begin to address the punctuation issue... or the other things overtly wrong with your statement.

pochy1776
09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
*We're

I won't even begin to address the punctuation issue... or the other things overtly wrong with your statement.

I'm Sorry let me correct that.

I believe, as an american resident, that immigrants should learn and embrace the english language. Not to say that we should force them to drop their native one. I think english ought to be the main language. Meaning, no second language for ballots, park signs or any public work. I had to learn english to thrive in my new homeland and i find no justification for the racial pandering we have today. While the constitution and government have no jurisdiction for making english the official language, It would be a good thing so new immigrants can come in and be more American rather than be hyphenated people. We see this problem in the hispanic communities. They have little to no incentive to learn english (welfare, free services, coddling can be done in spanish.) Does that answer your issue? Or are you going to say i am a racist?

MelissaWV
09-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry; let me correct that.

I believe, as an American resident, that immigrants should learn and embrace the English language. This is not to say that we should force them to drop their native one. I think English ought to be the main language, meaning no secondary language for ballots, park signs, or any public work. I had to learn English to thrive in my new homeland and I find no justification for the racial pandering we have today. While the constitution and government have no jurisdiction under which to make English the official language, it would be a good thing so new immigrants can come in and be more American rather than be hyphenated people. We see this problem in Hispanic communities. They have little to no incentive to learn English (welfare, free services, coddling can be done in Spanish). Does that answer your issue, or are you going to say I am a racist?

I fixed that up a bit for you. I did not fix it entirely, but I find that it looks a bit neater now. :)

If your problem is welfare, then address that. This is not a "public work." It is a debate being put on by AARP and Univision. It may shock you, but Univision generally does televise Spanish-language content, and it does not mean that the people watching have not "learned American." Many people are more comfortable watching and understanding the exchange of ideas as important as candidates' positions on issues in their native language. No matter how much people hoot and holler about it, their native language will remain unchanged, and for many of them they will always think in a foreign language, then have to self-translate. That is not particularly efficient, and so they may choose to entertain and educate themselves via the language in which they are most comfortable.

None of what you said in your initial post, by the way, said anything about public works or specifics regarding when someone should "speak American." It merely stated that people need to learn English, and left it at that. It speaks to the underlying problem of assuming that someone watching Univision either cannot speak English, or is too lazy to do so.

You could solve all of this anger at the subject by focusing on making public works and Governmental programs accessible only to citizenry, and all official literature being printed in English, at which point private partners would be more than eager to translate the official documentation into any variety of languages in exchange for their name being displayed on the pamphlet, sample ballot, or other item.

Instead, you so eloquently stated...

...and left it at that.

I suppose the appropriate response would be along the lines of requesting that you consider typing out complete sentences to convey complex thoughts, rather than taking up the age-old "ENGLISH PLEASE!" rallying cry. :)

This is also not my primary language.

pochy1776
09-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I fixed that up a bit for you. I did not fix it entirely, but I find that it looks a bit neater now. :)

If your problem is welfare, then address that. This is not a "public work." It is a debate being put on by AARP and Univision. It may shock you, but Univision generally does televise Spanish-language content, and it does not mean that the people watching have not "learned American." Many people are more comfortable watching and understanding the exchange of ideas as important as candidates' positions on issues in their native language. No matter how much people hoot and holler about it, their native language will remain unchanged, and for many of them they will always think in a foreign language, then have to self-translate. That is not particularly efficient, and so they may choose to entertain and educate themselves via the language in which they are most comfortable.

None of what you said in your initial post, by the way, said anything about public works or specifics regarding when someone should "speak American." It merely stated that people need to learn English, and left it at that. It speaks to the underlying problem of assuming that someone watching Univision either cannot speak English, or is too lazy to do so.

You could solve all of this anger at the subject by focusing on making public works and Governmental programs accessible only to citizenry, and all official literature being printed in English, at which point private partners would be more than eager to translate the official documentation into any variety of languages in exchange for their name being displayed on the pamphlet, sample ballot, or other item.

Instead, you so eloquently stated...

...and left it at that.

I suppose the appropriate response would be along the lines of requesting that you consider typing out complete sentences to convey complex thoughts, rather than taking up the age-old "ENGLISH PLEASE!" rallying cry. :)

This is also not my primary language.

Melissa i appreciate your input, i i take it that you have some superiority in your speech so let me be clear:

Yes. I do think public items (Ballots, Welfare, literature) ought to be in English. We are technically an English-Speaking country. I would like it that Univision and other spanish tv be out of business, but that would be a bad thing as less money would be made. My initial post was angry, but your response was condescending. While most liberals think of themselves as better than their right wing counterparts, right-wingers are usually better morally adjusted and are more decent people. While i hate stereotyping, I live in NYC. Are you also an immigrant? BTW, Somebody ought to reply to my forum threads. It has been said that Canada's charter is now better than America's Bill Of Right's which is total bullshit.

Mundane
09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
It has been said that Canada's charter is now better than America's Bill Of Right's which is total bullshit.

You mean the part about where Quebec doesn't have to use English in their signs but everyone else has to use French, including on my tiny island of 1500 where the only francophone comes from France? I couldn't agree more. All that aside, what good is a constitution, good or bad, if it is ignored?

Rudeman
09-26-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't already posted this:

http://i.qkme.me/3og4ru.jpg

DamianTV
09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
If I moved to Japan, I would be expected to learn Japanese by the Japanese people, and believe they would be right to expect that from me. If I moved to Germany, I'd have to learn German. If I lived in Mexico and moved to the US, why would I not be expected to learn English?

I dont really care if a person has an ability to speak another language fluently, but in matters pertaining to our country and govt at every level, I do expect that english is spoken. Thus, in schools english is spoken, excluding foreign language classes. In elections, english is spoken. Translated for other languages is fine, but I expect that english is spoken. If I have to go to court, I expect the judge to speak to me in english. If I vote for a president, I expect that president to make his State of the Union Address to the US in english. When I walk up to order a hamburger at Jack in the Box, I expect to be asked "would you like fries with that" in english. If I had a job, I would expect both that as an employee for my "superiors" to communicate with me in english, and if I had employees under me, that they understood the english language as I spoke to them. I expect street signs to be posted in english, none of this Alto instead of Stop bullshit. And that is already happening where towns are displacing english street signs only in spanish.

Like I said, if a person is able to speak another language, I do not care, but when I communicate with them, I expect it to be in english. What they speak at home, I dont care. If they come here on vacation, I dont really care, but so many that dont speak english arent coming here because they are on vacation, they are coming here with the intent of staying and not learning english. I expect that when I talk to my friends, they dont tell me that the reason their kids are having such a hard time in school is that they are the only english speaking kid in class and the classes are being taught purely in spanish. I expect to not be robocalled with political advertisements that come to me in spanish (the only part I understood was "Mitt Romney" and "Obama", which means political robocall). I expect my junkmail to come to me in english. I expect my bills to be in english. I expect job interviews to be in english. I expect to not have someone call me from a perspective employer to not ask me if I speak spanish then hang up on me when I say "No, I dont speak spanish". I know that is illegal but try going after them when the attorneys you call answer their phones in spanish. I expect that phone calls from what I think is either a collection agency or just a telemarketer is made in english. But mostly, I expect to not be discriminated against because I do not and will not speak spanish while I live in the United States. If this were all in another country, I would still expect that the langauge I was being spoken to was the language of that country, that is, I would expect that if I lived in Canada, that I would hear either English or French, not predominantly Aramaic, Swahili, or Klingon.

Honestly, I just feel like I am being completely displaced from where I've lived for the last 20 years becase less and less people speak english.

pochy1776
09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
You mean the part about where Quebec doesn't have to use English in their signs but everyone else has to use French, including on my tiny island of 1500 where the only francophone comes from France? I couldn't agree more. All that aside, what good is a constitution, good or bad, if it is ignored?

Where do you live? i take it not PEI.

Mundane
09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Where do you live? i take it not PEI.

BRITISH Columbia

libertariantexas
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
If I moved to Japan, I would be expected to learn Japanese by the Japanese people, and believe they would be right to expect that from me. If I moved to Germany, I'd have to learn German. If I lived in Mexico and moved to the US, why would I not be expected to learn English?

I see this "argument" all the time. Problem is, it's really not true. You can get along pretty well in Germany without speaking German. I lived there for years with nothing more than rudimentary German. Sure, it helps to know the language, but it is NOT required, nor is it even all that big a deal.

Most of you were born here. You think it's easy to speak English, as if the immigrant can wave a wand and become fluent. But I'll bet a lot of you who are hooting about "ENGLISH ONLY" had ancestors who didn't speak English, or spoke it poorly, even decades after arriving here.

It really isn't easy for any adult to learn a new language. It's far harder if that immigrant is poor and can't afford classes or Rosetta Stone or whatever.

Just for fun, turn on one of those Spanish language channels. Turn on Univision, since they had the debate. You won't go more than an hour without seeing a commercial selling "Learn English" programs or courses.

The blustering "ENGLISH ONLY" crowd will try to make you believe "immigrants don't want to speak English." Really? I've never met any immigrant who doesn't wish he could speak English, or speak it better.

Just as with my family, and probably most of yours, there is a pretty typical pattern with immigrants. The first generation doesn't speak English, or speaks it poorly. The second generation speaks both English and the language of the old country (though they speak English far better). The third generation speaks English only. It doesn't matter whether the immigrant is from Mexico, Italy, Poland, Germany, China, or the Ukraine. That pattern is typical.

But when you are working 12 hours a day in a low income job, there just aren't a lot of opportunities to rapidly master English.

I'd love to drop a bunch of those blowhards in Mexico or China and see how quickly they master the local lingo.

I dont really care if a person has an ability to speak another language fluently, but in matters pertaining to our country and govt at every level, I do expect that english is spoken. Thus, in schools english is spoken, excluding foreign language classes. In elections, english is spoken. Translated for other languages is fine, but I expect that english is spoken. If I have to go to court, I expect the judge to speak to me in english. If I vote for a president, I expect that president to make his State of the Union Address to the US in english. When I walk up to order a hamburger at Jack in the Box, I expect to be asked "would you like fries with that" in english. If I had a job, I would expect both that as an employee for my "superiors" to communicate with me in english, and if I had employees under me, that they understood the english language as I spoke to them. I expect street signs to be posted in english, none of this Alto instead of Stop bullshit. And that is already happening where towns are displacing english street signs only in spanish.

Like I said, if a person is able to speak another language, I do not care, but when I communicate with them, I expect it to be in english. What they speak at home, I dont care. If they come here on vacation, I dont really care, but so many that dont speak english arent coming here because they are on vacation, they are coming here with the intent of staying and not learning english. I expect that when I talk to my friends, they dont tell me that the reason their kids are having such a hard time in school is that they are the only english speaking kid in class and the classes are being taught purely in spanish. I expect to not be robocalled with political advertisements that come to me in spanish (the only part I understood was "Mitt Romney" and "Obama", which means political robocall). I expect my junkmail to come to me in english. I expect my bills to be in english. I expect job interviews to be in english. I expect to not have someone call me from a perspective employer to not ask me if I speak spanish then hang up on me when I say "No, I dont speak spanish". I know that is illegal but try going after them when the attorneys you call answer their phones in spanish. I expect that phone calls from what I think is either a collection agency or just a telemarketer is made in english. But mostly, I expect to not be discriminated against because I do not and will not speak spanish while I live in the United States. If this were all in another country, I would still expect that the langauge I was being spoken to was the language of that country, that is, I would expect that if I lived in Canada, that I would hear either English or French, not predominantly Aramaic, Swahili, or Klingon.

Honestly, I just feel like I am being completely displaced from where I've lived for the last 20 years becase less and less people speak english.

I've got to ask, where the heck do you live? I live in San Antonio (South Texas) and I don't have any of those problems.

Are you sure you didn't get drunk, black out, and take up residence in Mexico City by mistake? :)

Pericles
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
When Texas was a republic, all official acts were published in Spanish, English, and German. The Tejanos were here before people like me arrived.

Mundane
09-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I would expect that if I lived in Canada, that I would hear either English or French, not predominantly Aramaic, Swahili, or Klingon.

Not necessarily true. In my home town, over a third of residents are foreign born. Try looking for a job there and not being able to speak Cantonese, Mandarin or Punjabi. French is useless.

MelissaWV
09-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Yet I am sure you would be very likely to watch television in English, either via the internet or on the various channels that offer English-language programming.

Melissa i appreciate your input, i i take it that you have some superiority in your speech so let me be clear:

Yes. I do think public items (Ballots, Welfare, literature) ought to be in English. We are technically an English-Speaking country. I would like it that Univision and other spanish tv be out of business, but that would be a bad thing as less money would be made. My initial post was angry, but your response was condescending. While most liberals think of themselves as better than their right wing counterparts, right-wingers are usually better morally adjusted and are more decent people. While i hate stereotyping, I live in NYC. Are you also an immigrant? BTW, Somebody ought to reply to my forum threads. It has been said that Canada's charter is now better than America's Bill Of Right's which is total bullshit.

Puerto Rican, born to parents who still prefer to speak Spanish and occasionally watch Spanish-language television, and the granddaughter of someone who is probably not going to learn much English at 92 as she is battling dementia. If you had not noticed, I am responding to your forum threads.

It was not condescending. I just find the notion that someone is going to criticize others for not learning English, while hardly being able to string a sentence together to do so, repugnant.

Jumbo Shrimp
09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
BRITISH Columbia

Where in BC are things in French? You're more likely to see English-Chinese bilingualism in the Lower Mainland than anything with French.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
I have never had an issue communicating with any of the locals in the many counties I have been to. Everyone I met LOVED to talk to me in english. Also I agree with libertariantexas and MelissaWV, not going to reiterate what they said.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Like I said, if a person is able to speak another language, I do not care, but when I communicate with them, I expect it to be in english.

Good luck getting a decent taco, have fun at the bell!...barf.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Puerto Rican

Delicioso!

BamaAla
09-26-2012, 05:01 PM

¡Yo quiero Taco Bell!

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
¡Yo quiero Taco Bell!

http://imageshack.us/a/img228/514/9323327.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/9323327.jpg/)

Mundane
09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Where in BC are things in French? You're more likely to see English-Chinese bilingualism in the Lower Mainland than anything with French.

In private business, yes, Chinese, but anything paid for or maintained by the Feds must be in both English and French by law. It just seems to be a waste of money when so few speak the language here. Don't even get me started on French that must appear on every product we buy.

pochy1776
09-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Yet I am sure you would be very likely to watch television in English, either via the internet or on the various channels that offer English-language programming.

Puerto Rican, born to parents who still prefer to speak Spanish and occasionally watch Spanish-language television, and the granddaughter of someone who is probably not going to learn much English at 92 as she is battling dementia. If you had not noticed, I am responding to your forum threads.

It was not condescending. I just find the notion that someone is going to criticize others for not learning English, while hardly being able to string a sentence together to do so, repugnant.

I am a writer. I don't practice punctuation on the internet. I do it for Journal articles.

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Delicioso!

Puerto Ricans scare me.

libertariantexas
09-26-2012, 05:10 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img228/514/9323327.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/9323327.jpg/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Bell_chihuahua

MelissaWV
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I am a writer. I don't practice punctuation on the internet. I do it for Journal articles.

So what you are saying is that, when you are relaxing and engaged in leisure activities (like posting on a political forum), you revert back to a more relaxed, native manner of typing, and you resent the idea that someone would demand that you be far more formal at all times.

Somehow that scenario sounds familiar. :)

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Bell_chihuahua

RIP.

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/66/colt45maltliquor.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/colt45maltliquor.jpg/)

DamianTV
09-26-2012, 06:12 PM

I could comment on Taco Bell, but thats a whole different topic. But how about this instead. What if instead of ordering a Taco, it was a Job Interview for the Power Company or any employer where the person doing the interview didnt speak a lick of english and in fact insisted that you spoke their native language?

RonRules
09-26-2012, 06:13 PM

He got shot by a cop.

MelissaWV
09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I could comment on Taco Bell, but thats a whole different topic. But how about this instead. What if instead of ordering a Taco, it was a Job Interview for the Power Company or any employer where the person doing the interview didnt speak a lick of english and in fact insisted that you spoke their native language?

Then, since they are the employer, I would definitely want to be able to communicate with them. If that was a requirement for the job I would not apply if I could not speak the language in question. Of course, that would greatly limit the applicant pool... but that'd be the employer's right, in my opinion. If it isn't a requirement for the job and the interviewer is just being a jerk, then they are really going to have almost no one get through the process, and the employer is going to regret placing that person in that position.

DamianTV
09-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Then, since they are the employer, I would definitely want to be able to communicate with them. If that was a requirement for the job I would not apply if I could not speak the language in question. Of course, that would greatly limit the applicant pool... but that'd be the employer's right, in my opinion. If it isn't a requirement for the job and the interviewer is just being a jerk, then they are really going to have almost no one get through the process, and the employer is going to regret placing that person in that position.

Most of what Im saying is just expressing frustration about my situation. What I really feel like is that I am being discriminated against, at certain times, because, like you said, the size of the applicant pool appears to be a majority of spanish only speakers. The thing is that it is becoming more and more frequent. Spanish only tech support for a US based company seems pretty well insulting. What if AT&T decided that english was prohibited for everything and that spanish was required? Thats what I feel like we are headed towards. Again, Im just expressing frustration.

LibertyEagle
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM

As good as the so-called patriots who did/do not INSIST that it be followed.

Mundane
09-26-2012, 06:27 PM
As good as the so-called patriots who did/do not INSIST that it be followed.

Precisely

LibertyEagle
09-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Precisely

Please be clear that I do not share your view that the Constitution is worthless. It, and those Americans who have even a passing remembrance of what it stands for, have been the only things stopping government from completely disarming the public and well, instead of having done it piece-by-piece, just slamming us into a world government long ago.

I share pochy's overall sentiment. Not having a shared language has been a problem in more than one country's history. And yes, Canada used to talk about how much of a failure it had been with having both French and English, given that it hindered communication amongst their own people.

I also think a lot of pochy's frustration comes from the millions upon millions of illegal aliens who have been allowed, no encouraged, to illegally enter our country to set up residency and then many to proceed to suck off each and every taxpayer. It's outrageous, is what it is. You know, the globalists have talked about for years that balkanization would be a useful tool in their arsenal to bring America down and I think they are hitting us from so many angles right now, that some cannot see that this is one of them.

Yesterday in Austin, one thousand people finally became Americans. One lady from Yugoslavia was interviewed afterwards. She had been writing letters and going through all the bullshit for FOURTEEN years to get where she was that day. This is equally outrageous as rewarding others for ignoring our immigration laws entirely. It shouldn't take so damn long to go through the process. Only government could be that inefficient. A company would have gone broke long ago. Of course, assuming it was not bailed out by our government. lol

Mundane
09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Please be clear that I do not share your view that the Constitution is worthless. It, and those Americans who have even a passing remembrance of what it stands for, have been the only things stopping government from completely disarming the public and well, instead of having done it piece-by-piece, just slamming us into a world government long ago.

Where did I say that a Constitution is worthless? It's only worthless when not followed just as any law is worthless when not enforced.

DamianTV
09-26-2012, 07:16 PM
... stuff, scroll up 2 posts ...

Wins Thread.

+Rep!

sluggo
09-26-2012, 07:34 PM
What's the best program or method for learning Espanol? I want to become El Guapo of Tejas

LibForestPaul
09-26-2012, 07:50 PM

or just out these spanish only companies and see if other english speaking americans want to entire into voluntary contracts with them.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 07:59 PM

I share pochy's overall sentiment. Not having a shared language has been a problem in more than one country's history. And yes, Canada used to talk about how much of a failure it had been with having both French and English, given that it hindered communication amongst their own people.

I also think a lot of pochy's frustration comes from the millions upon millions of illegal aliens who have been allowed, no encouraged, to illegally enter our country to set up residency and then many to proceed to suck off each and every taxpayer. It's outrageous, is what it is. You know, the globalists have talked about for years that balkanization would be a useful tool in their arsenal to bring America down and I think they are hitting us from so many angles right now, that some cannot see that this is one of them.

Yesterday in Austin, one thousand people finally became Americans. One lady from Yugoslavia was interviewed afterwards. She had been writing letters and going through all the bullshit for FOURTEEN years to get where she was that day. This is equally outrageous as rewarding others for ignoring our immigration laws entirely. It shouldn't take so damn long to go through the process. Only government could be that inefficient. A company would have gone broke long ago. Of course, assuming it was not bailed out by our government. lol

You realize many patriots wanted to get rid of English all together after the American Revolution?

Also English is dying (has been for a while) just like many other languages have.

Without legislation the USA has managed to get over ninety-seven percent of the residents of this country to speak the English language. No country with an official language law even comes close. Also today’s non-English-speaking immigrants are picking up English faster than earlier generations of immigrants did.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 08:00 PM
What's the best program or method for learning Espanol? I want to become El Guapo of Tejas

Well, best is to live in a area that speaks the native tongue you are wanting to learn.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Find a different job..........

Mundane
09-26-2012, 08:12 PM

I watched all of these episodes years ago as part of a university course in Spanish. Very helpful, but you still need to use the language frequently and practice whenever possible with others:

http://www.learner.org/series/destinos/watch/

fr33
09-26-2012, 10:11 PM
My ancestors came here from Germany. The first generation that came here spoke German. The next generations started to integrate and learn English. Thus is the same story of nearly every non-english speaking immigrant family.

Those that support "English as the official language" tend to be bigots.

BTW no human being should be called illegal for traveling. Borders are imaginary lines.

Athan
09-26-2012, 10:32 PM
When Texas was a republic, all official acts were published in Spanish, English, and German. The Tejanos were here before people like me arrived.
That's right muthafuckas! We Tejanos are still here, mamones! lol! Just kidding, you know I love you liberty loving assholes.

aGameOfThrones
09-26-2012, 10:52 PM
My ancestors came here from Germany. The first generation that came here spoke German. The next generations started to integrate and learn English. Thus is the same story of nearly every non-english speaking immigrant family.

BTW no human being should be called illegal for traveling. Borders are imaginary lines.

Those that think English shouldn't be made the official language of these united states... Hate America! Another thing, any state with a Spanish name should change it to its English version or GTFO! I hate taco bell! And who ever told Will Ferrell he could make an all Spanish film should be deported, I like my Ferrell English.

Paul Or Nothing II
09-26-2012, 11:09 PM

So are the lines that delineate property-rights! Viva la communism!........Or whatever it's supposed to be!

You have as many rights as people around you believe in so if libertarians don't separate themselves from non-libertarians then libertarians will forever remain enslaved & their rights trampled upon. Point being that borders are necessary to secure liberty........at least until the whole world becomes libertarian (if ever)

LibertyEagle
09-26-2012, 11:10 PM

So, you think the government should be using taxpayer money to print government documents, road signs, etc. in a plethora of languages? Personally, I'm thinking that if someone wanted to become an American citizen, they would gladly be willing to learn English, or they would have just stayed in their home country.

BTW no human being should be called illegal for traveling.

I have no issue with someone traveling, but I DO have an issue with non-citizens setting up residence here and sucking off of our tax dollars. Too bad, so sad, if you do not like it. Open up your own bank account to them and get your hand out of mine.

Borders are imaginary lines.
Those "imaginary lines" you speak of, were a way to once say, we in these borders are going to live by a certain set of principles. We were never intended to build empires or to dictate to the rest of the world what they chose for themselves.

The same was true for individual states, which also were delineated by those "imaginary lines". Americans had 50 different choices to pick from. If they didn't like the laws in one, they could move to a different state.

fr33
09-26-2012, 11:22 PM
So are the lines that delineate property-rights! Viva la communism!........Or whatever it's supposed to be!Communism is a non sequitur. Individuals bought their land. The state outright stole theirs. Don't talk to me about property rights. In America the highest bidder can forcibly steal my land for the "good of the people". And they have done so to me. Read up on the subject of eminent domain.

You have as many rights as people around you believe in so if libertarians don't separate themselves from non-libertarians then libertarians will forever remain enslaved & their rights trampled upon.And you have the nerve to insinuate that I'm a communist? You are right about the mob rule being able to take from me; by pointing guns at me. You however have not made the case against free travel of humans. Instead you make the collectivist and statist point that we must build walls to keep people out.

Point being that borders are necessary to secure liberty........at least until the whole world becomes libertarian (if ever)No national or state border has secured my liberty. In fact borders set by the state has taken away liberty from many people that were "here" first.

fr33
09-26-2012, 11:33 PM
So, you think the government should be using taxpayer money to print government documents, road signs, etc. in a plethora of languages? Personally, I'm thinking that if someone wanted to become an American citizen, they would gladly be willing to learn English, or they would have just stayed in their home country.Why should the English have a monopoly on language? Try and justify that and you will be justifying mob rule. One does not have to speak English to live and be free.

I have no issue with someone traveling, but I DO have an issue with non-citizens setting up residence here and sucking off of our tax dollars. Too bad, so sad, if you do not like it. Open up your own bank account to them and get your hand out of mine.I never suggested people should suck off our tax dollars. I simply said they should not be forced by any mandate to speak english.

Those "imaginary lines" you speak of, were a way to once say, we in these borders are going to live by a certain set of principles. We were never intended to build empires or to dictate to the rest of the world what they chose for themselves.Every border set was done so by collectivist taxes paying for the land or violent war to steal the land.

The same was true for individual states, which also were delineated by those "imaginary lines". Americans had 50 different choices to pick from. If they didn't like the laws in one, they could move to a different state.Tell that to the natives that were here first. They had many more than 50 choices to pick from. I personally don't like the laws of any of the 50. There's nowhere in the world I could move to and be satisfied.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Guess I will repeat myself.....

You realize many patriots wanted to get rid of English all together after the American Revolution?

Also English is dying (has been for a while) just like many other languages have.

Without legislation the USA has managed to get over ninety-seven percent of the residents of this country to speak the English language. No country with an official language law even comes close. Also today’s non-English-speaking immigrants are picking up English faster than earlier generations of immigrants did.

QuickZ06
09-26-2012, 11:52 PM
So, you think the government should be using taxpayer money to print government documents, road signs, etc. in a plethora of languages? Personally, I'm thinking that if someone wanted to become an American citizen, they would gladly be willing to learn English, or they would have just stayed in their home country.

I don't think anyone in this entire thread was saying that. But you are correct. I even think someone said earlier in this thread that a private business could even do that job.

Paul Or Nothing II
09-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Communism is a non sequitur. Individuals bought their land. The state outright stole theirs. Don't talk to me about property rights. In America the highest bidder can forcibly steal my land for the "good of the people". And they have done so to me. Read up on the subject of eminent domain.

My point is that if one talks of erasing one kind of imaginary line then for the sake of consistent, they must be for erasing all imaginary lines, which of course include lines delineating property, & when all such lines are erased, we end up with communism.

I'm sure some individuals are living on stolen land too, does that mean anybody can just trespass? NO. Same holds true for countries, it's possible the land was stolen but the current inhabitants didn't steal it so their laws must respected by others

And you have the nerve to insinuate that I'm a communist? You are right about the mob rule being able to take from me; by pointing guns at me. You however have not made the case against free travel of humans. Instead you make the collectivist and statist point that we must build walls to keep people out.

No national or state border has secured my liberty. In fact borders set by the state has taken away liberty from many people that were "here" first.

Let's say a bunch of libertarians find new land & form their libertarian society there, such a society will naturally become very wealthy pretty soon & then people around the world flock to it (majority of whom are born-socialists) because of the opportunities it provides & slowly as the majority-socialists outnumber & outbreed libertarian-minded minority, democracy (aka mob-rule) & redistribution will raise its ugly head & once the land of free will become the land of enslaved................this is something similar to what happened here in America, Founders established a relatively free country (although may be not as free as we'd like but still.....), it prospered, the allure of prosperity attracted hordes of poor & destitute non-libertarians & the fundamental nature of the society was changed from being libertarian to being socialist-corporatist..........if libertarians of today, somehow manage to secure an area & pioneer a free society there then history will repeat itself once again........UNLESS, this time, libertarians smarten up & keep the non-libertarians out.

So the point being that in a world full of socialists, if libertarians are to dream of true freedom then they must necessarily think of borders to protect themselves from the socialist-mobs.

Athan
09-27-2012, 08:08 AM

I have no issue with someone traveling, but I DO have an issue with non-citizens setting up residence here and sucking off of our tax dollars. Too bad, so sad, if you do not like it. Open up your own bank account to them and get your hand out of mine.

1. For federal documents, I understand if you want English. For states however it is bet their governments decide. Either way we need to move off ridiculous amounts of paper thanks to electronic formats.

2. Yes, but remember that is why welfare creates inequity where non-citizens have privliages not given to other Americans. That is not a "immigrant issue" that is a welfare problem directly.

BSU kid
09-27-2012, 08:55 AM
If the government had actually secured our borders then this whole thread would be meaningless, alas they decided that instead of securing our borders we should focus on Afghanistan and Iraq. Now that we do have huge Mexican Populations not just in TX but really in the majority of the lower 1/3 of this country, we will have to live with the fact that certain areas will be majority Spanish speaking.

MelissaWV
09-27-2012, 05:48 PM
If the government had actually secured our borders then this whole thread would be meaningless, alas they decided that instead of securing our borders we should focus on Afghanistan and Iraq. Now that we do have huge Mexican Populations not just in TX but really in the majority of the lower 1/3 of this country, we will have to live with the fact that certain areas will be majority Spanish speaking.

Not really. You do realize there are legal areas of the USA where Spanish is the main and traditional language? Or other languages (Hawaii springs to mind for having a variety of language options on their TV dial)? I'll never understand why people go out of their way to say "Mexican" when they mean "Hispanic" (the lower 1/3 includes Florida, which I'm guessing you're including in your assessment, yet does not exactly have a Mexican majority).

Frankly, the biggest laugh about this problem is that it isn't one. Welfare is a problem. Government waste is a problem. Taxation is a problem. Some people speaking another language more comfortably than English? I guess it's at least as big a problem as airplane windows not opening.