PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Excessive Deficit Spending Wasn't My Fault

AuH20
09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Does anyone really believe this crock?

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/09/26/obama-claim-that-bush-is-90-responsible-for-current-deficit-gets-100-of-pinocchios-at-wapo/

KROFT: The national debt has gone up sixty percent in — in the four years that you’ve been in office.

OBAMA: Well, first — first of all, Steve, I think it’s important to understand the context here. When I came into office, I inherited the biggest deficit in our history. And over the last four years, the deficit has gone up, but ninety percent of that is as a consequence of two wars that weren’t paid for, as a consequence of tax cuts that weren’t paid for, a prescription drug plan that was not paid for, and then the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Now we took some emergency actions, but that accounts for about 10 percent of this increase in the deficit, and we have actually seen the federal government grow at a slower pace than at any time since Dwight Eisenhower, in fact, substantially lower than the federal government grew under either Ronald Reagan or George Bush.

SO he's going to blatantly lie now? And what happened to "the buck stops here?"

ronpaulfollower999
09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah, the president doesn't have the power of veto...or anything.

Dick Chaney
09-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Of course not.

kathy88
09-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Remember his spiel when he was running? No excuses. I'll cut the debt in half. No excuses.

acptulsa
09-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Firstly, that isn't a lie. Of course, the rate of growth might be slower because it's hard to spend fifty percent more than, say, double the GDP in only one year. Ever see the movie Brewster's Millions? Hell, when it came to spending money, Ike was a piker. Any senator could spend half again as much as his budget all by himself, without even leaving his office.

As for this deficit not being Obama's fault, well, if he isn't responsible he didn't take responsibility. He's the president, and if he can't be bothered to take care of his responsibilities he's arguing that he should be fired.

Saying it isn't my fault the child ran out in front of me is one thing. Saying it isn't my fault I didn't hit the brakes or turn the wheel is something else. And he neither hit the brakes nor turned the wheel--despite promising us, four years ago, that he would.

VBRonPaulFan
09-26-2012, 08:21 AM
hahahaha he's going off percentage increase, because Bush increased spending so much while he was in office. so he's twisting words to make it look like he hasn't massively blown up the size of the govt, even though he actually has, he just didn't blow away what GWB did.

here's a pretty simple analogy:
guy 1 usually spends $10/day, but today he spent $20 - a 100% increase.
guy 2 usually spends $100/day, but today he spent $110 - a 10% increase.

then guy 2 goes to guy 1 - LOOK AT HOW MUCH LESS MONEY I SPENT TODAY THAN YOU!

AuH20
09-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Remember his spiel when he was running? No excuses. I'll cut the debt in half. No excuses.

He should just man up and tell the tax slaves he enjoys near limitless deficit spending like Cheney did.

specsaregood
09-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Firstly, that isn't a lie. Of course, the rate of growth might be slower because it's hard to spend fifty percent more than, say, double the GDP in only one year. Ever see the movie Brewster's Millions? Hell, when it came to spending money, Ike was a piker. Any senator could spend half again as much as his budget all by himself, without even leaving his office.

Yup, that appears to be the meme they are running with nowadays, try to argue that the "rate of growth" is less than under previous administrations. Krugman tried the same shit with Rand and Rand wouldn't put up with it and asked him straight up, "Are there more federal government employees under obama than previous administrations?" no answer of course, can't let the public know you are twisting the truth....

Travlyr
09-26-2012, 08:29 AM
And what happened to "the buck stops here?" Bullets to the head and/or stomach.

Obama is being honest here. He does not have that power without taking it. And if he takes that power then he takes a bullet too. He just proved what they have been hiding for soooo.... long. The President doesn't have any power to do anything except pick his tie and it is very likely that Michelle does that for him. Obama is the face... the talking head.

That is also why Ron Paul lost. The powers that be knew they weren't going to control Ron Paul.

erowe1
09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
hahahaha he's going off percentage increase, because Bush increased spending so much while he was in office. so he's twisting words to make it look like he hasn't massively blown up the size of the govt, even though he actually has, he just didn't blow away what GWB did.

here's a pretty simple analogy:
guy 1 usually spends $10/day, but today he spent $20 - a 100% increase.
guy 2 usually spends $100/day, but today he spent $110 - a 10% increase.

then guy 2 goes to guy 1 - LOOK AT HOW MUCH LESS MONEY I SPENT TODAY THAN YOU!

I'm pretty sure he's even more disingenuous than that. He's counting the 2009 budget as Bush's, which it was initially. But then he's including his own stimulus, which drastically increased 2009 spending, in the 2009 budget, which he attributes to Bush, and comparing subsequent years' budgets to that larger one in order to say that they didn't increase very much.

jkr
09-26-2012, 08:40 AM
http://simpsonswiki.net/w/images/thumb/7/7d/I_Didn%27t_Do_It%21_Volume_III.png/250px-I_Didn%27t_Do_It%21_Volume_III.png

Soca Taliban
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Hmmmm.....he's not responsible?? Wasn't he in Congress voting for many of those spending increases as well before he became president?

acptulsa
09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Hmmmm.....he's not responsible?? Wasn't he in Congress voting for many of those spending increases as well before he became president?

Did he vote on anything while he was in the Senate? My impression of his record was no record at all--don't make me vote and I won't have to lie about my votes when I run for president.

AuH20
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Did he vote on anything while he was in the Senate? My impression of his record was no record at all--don't make me vote and I won't have to lie about my votes when I run for president.

TARP. But he did somehow vote against the debt ceiling increase in 2006. Go figure.

specsaregood
09-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Looks like how rubio is playing the game as well.

seraphson
09-26-2012, 09:19 AM
//