PDA

View Full Version : How can you call yourself a Christian if you support Ron Paul?

Wendi
11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Someone seriously asked that question yesterday. And worse, it was in a Baptist church.

Can someone please explain to me what is supposedly anti-Christian about Ron Paul?

Or better yet... let's make a list of all the reasons Christians *should* support him!

I'll start...

Ron Paul...

* is a Christian (Baptist)
* is a gynecologist who has never performed an abortion
* supports the first amendment (freedom of religion, right to assemble...)

There's more, I know... those are the *big ones* off the top of my head that are pretty revealing when compared to other candidates.

asgardshill
11-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Someone seriously asked that question yesterday. And worse, it was in a Baptist church.

Can someone please explain to me what is supposedly anti-Christian about Ron Paul?

Or better yet... let's make a list of all the reasons Christians *should* support him!

I'll start...

Ron Paul...

There's more, I know... those are the *big ones* off the top of my head that are pretty revealing when compared to other candidates.

Who asked the question? And in what church did they ask it? Was the question-asker wearing vestments, or was he/she just a parishioner possibly drunk on the sacramental wine? We need more information.

If I were to become outraged every time somebody asked a stupid rhetorical question, I'd have to buy stock in the company that makes my blood pressure medication.

FrankRep
11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm a Christian.

What was their logic?

Ask them why they are judging you. :-)

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Blessed are the peacemakers.

BuddyRey
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
To the uninformed, Pacifism = Liberalism and Liberalism = Secularism. Because Ron Paul supports ending the war, he's just like Hillary Clinton.

Also, it could be because of the John Hagee style Christian Zionists, and the pull they now have in mainline Protestant circles. To John Hagee and his ilk, being Christlike means killing for Israel. Don't even try to understand this way of thinking, because there is no way for rational people to do so.

Perry
11-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Ron PAul is THE most Christian candidate. That's why I support him.

Kapt Nemo
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Not attempting to offend anyone on here,

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

-Mohandas Gandhi

rockwell
11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Honestly, it's a rare day when someone asks me a question that makes sense or is grounded in reality, so you're asking the wrong guy.

foofighter20x
11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Winner...

Cue pic of Muhammad Ali standing over Sonny Liston.

mike1
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Ron PAul is THE most Christian candidate. That's why I support him.

Same Here

constituent
11-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Original_Intent
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Seriously if someone asked me that I would sit down and ask them who they are supporting. Then I would go down the list and compare their candidates position with Ron Paul's and then talk about which position is the more "Christian".

Anyone who asks a question like that is asking for smack down in my book.

hard@work
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Seriously if someone asked me that I would sit down and ask them who they are supporting. Then I would go down the list and compare their candidates position with Ron Paul's and then talk about which position is the more "Christian".

Anyone who asks a question like that is asking for smack down in my book.

You said it right here.

sinless1
11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Man, where to begin?!

RP is the best friend of the unborn. He would overturn Roe v Wade by removing the SC's jurisdiction.

RP supported legislation to protect states from being forced to honor "civil unions" from other states.

RP has more integrity, honesty, and courage than many pastors. Refuses govt junkets, lucrative pension, refused Medicare/Medicaid as a doctor (often providing free care instead.) Etc, etc.

Freedom of conscience was the Founding Fathers' policy. It's not civil govt's job to enforce Christian worship or belief, only to protect us from harming one another. Civil govt only governs outward action, not thoughts, attitudes, or beliefs.

Suggest they read the stories of Saul and Gideon. God said that when the people clamored for a king like all the other nations, that they were rejecting Him. (1 Sam 8) Gideon refused to be king when the people entreated him to begin a hereditary monarchy. (Judges 8:22) God made man free, and he prefers us that way. Tyranny, even by Christian tyrants, is unnatural and hurts everyone.

God sends rain on the just and the unjust. In the same way, freedom blesses everyone equally, including sinners.

Rom 13 says obey authority, for it's set up by God to punish evildoers. In America that means THE CONSTITUTION, which is the supreme law of the land. Yes, we are instead governed by a bunch of crooks! The powers of the Congress and fed courts are few and defined.

Fed Govt power always hurts the Church, almost never helps. Ron Paul would limit the jurisdiction of the Fed Courts. Remember, it is the fed courts that struck down state laws prohibiting abortion, sodomy, school prayer and Bible reading, 10 Commandment displays, etc. For every Church victory at the federal level, there are ten failures.

Enlarging federal power gives the Fed Govt the means to oppress future generations of Christians. We've already seen Christians arrested for peacefully preaching and protesting, just because of the message. When will we learn that the answer is to slay Leviathan, instead of trying to tame him and use him for our own ends?!

RP supports homeschoolers and private schools!

The Founding Fathers, whom evangelicals (like David Barton of Wallbuilders) highly regard, would support RP. They were dope smokers, smugglers, tax protestors, radical revolutionaries, businessmen....yet almost every one of the signers of the Constitution and Dec of Indep were church-going Christians. How far we've come in our theology, that nowadays holiness = obsequious, over-rendering submission to (and worship of) the State.

That's just off the top of my head, there are probably other reasons Christians should support RP.

Here are some additional good points from Chuck Baldwin, in a letter to pastors:
http://dailypaul.com/node/6008

Also, here's the text of a letter that I recently sent to a friend. His wife said NO to Dr No, for fear that he'd let *****s get married:

Hey, Brad,
One other point I forgot to mention, but I think is important. The overwhelming sentiment among the Christian community over the past 40 years is that our national moral crisis has much to do with activist judges pushing their agenda on the rest of the country, subverting the legislative process. The solution, we’re told, is to elect a conservative president who will appoint “strict constructionist” justices to the SC, and they will reverse this trend of judicial activism. But how likely is this scenario, given that neither Bush nor anybody in the Senate cares a nickel about “strictly” interpreting the Constitution?

Stephen Moore of the Cato institute estimates that about 90% of the bills passed by Congress have NO Constitutional authority. Then why on earth do Christians believe Republicans who promise to only appoint (or approve) justices who will strictly interpret the Constitution according to “original intent”?!! Clearly we Christians need to re-educate ourselves on the basics, the “fundamentals – of American liberty and the role of the state. Generally speaking, the church has been both ignorant and gullible in believing our religious “leaders” and our “conservative” public officials. (Case in point, did you see Pat Robertson’s endorsement of Giuliani last week?)

Judicial activism is a problem, but Christians only seem to want to get rid of “liberal” judicial activism. Until Ron Paul’s campaign brought Constitutional issues back to the forefront of the political discourse in America, it seemed there was no one calling for an end to ALL judicial activism. Now a vocal minority is calling for a return of federal power back to the States and to the People, and that message is spreading rapidly. The Church should send Ron Paul a big Christmas card this season, preferably with some money in it, because his campaign is doing more good to end abortion, stop govt persecution of religious groups, promote homeschooling, re-ignite passion for liberty, and shine the light on government corruption than the last 25 years of “religious right” activism!

RP4ME
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Christains make political persuausion a part of their religion. Its not! Its so frustrating to hera but I too used to kinda think along these lines. I think she hasnt been educated enough that is all. If she was I doubt she woudl choose anyone else. The problem is life our world is so deceptive and is deceiving even teh Christains - the world around us is not as it appears - they are looking at everything a sthey have been told to look at them.....just hvae patience, pray fo rthem and educate as much as you can...

sickmint79
11-19-2007, 07:38 PM
print out ron paul's statement of faith and hand it to him

american.swan
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm a Christian.

What was their logic?

Classic!!

american.swan
11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Not attempting to offend anyone on here,

That's my favorite quote! Love it. I have it next to my computer. Puts those people who call themselves Christian cause their "like Christ" to shame. Christians should take more seriously what they are claiming by using the name "Christian".

Note: I go to a Christian church and I would like to be like Christ, but am not and therefore don't want to call a Christian online or elsewhere.

bunklocoempire
11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
If having government shove "religeous" morals down ones throat makes a "Christian" more safe/content that "Christian" is totally missing it.

By not trusting in Gods Power/Word alone to change the sinner the "Christian" is effectively saying Gods Power is limited. Here's an example of Gods Power:

Christianity spreading in decadent Rome amidst real persecution.
Meanwhile Rome is shoving it's religeous morals down its peoples throats.

Our founding fathers set up the best system ever, and God has no limit of power.

Bunkloco, a Christian

Corydoras
11-19-2007, 11:29 PM
When you do the right thing in freedom as an expression of love and honor toward God, it is a more holy and righteous action and more greatly reveals the glory of God than if you do it because the government says you're going to be punished if you violate their laws.

ConstitutionGal
11-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Instead of tyring to come up with 'talking points', give them copies of Dr. Paul's statement of faith and Pastor Chuck Baldwin's article "Conservative Republicans Have Only One Choice In 2008" (http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2007/cbarchive_20070828.html) If they can come away from those two things and not support Dr. Paul, I'd have to seriously question either their faith or their intellect.

Wendi
11-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I didn't bother discussing it with them, let alone asking who they support :mad:

I made that mistake *last* week, when someone said about the same thing. They looked at me with the most sincere face you've ever seen, and said, "Hillary." http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

UCFGavin
11-20-2007, 08:36 AM
because a lot of the christian right expect special treatment as far as bans on gay marriage, etc.

autobot
11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
I posted only one time but I get the sense that Christians are not being reached enough by the campaign. The one thing I thought of was the Christian version of youtube its called GodTube. It gets a ton of traffic and some of the Christian Ron Paul videos from YouTube could be put on there. There is only one RP video currently on the site. The Christian voters are a huge group of people that would really respond to RP's message. Some of the video have been 300,000 views or more. Ron Paul's one video has 30,000 views and some of the 81 comments show a complete misunderstanding of Ron Paul. I don't know how to do this, but if it gets 30,000 thousand views I think its worth doing.

werdd
11-20-2007, 11:06 AM
How can you call yourself a Christian if you DON'T support Ron Paul?

Wendi
11-20-2007, 11:08 AM
That would be why I think we need to start coming up with talking points for Christian voters, autobot. I don't know how to do it either, but we've got to start somewhere. And obviously, the "statement of faith" isn't enough. We need a comprehensive strategy for reaching Christians with the message they don't even realize they agree with :)

autobot
11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I agree Texas, Look at Huckabee. He is getting the Christian vote big time and its really making his poll numbers go up. Ron Paul is an excellent Christian roll model, and shouldn't be losing the Christian vote. I don't think the well heeled folks around here (Vegas) would respond well to being approached in a parking lot! I haven't seen too many other ideas for getting the Chistian voters attention.

iddo
11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
See what Ron Paul had to say:

Some of the strongest supporters of the war declare that we are a Christian nation, yet use their religious beliefs to justify the war. They claim it is our Christian duty to remake the Middle East and attack the Muslim infidels. Evidently I have been reading from a different Bible. I remember something about “Blessed are the peacemakers.”

My beliefs aside, Christian teaching of nearly a thousand years reinforces the concept of “The Just War Theory.” This Christian theory emphasizes six criteria needed to justify Christian participation in war. Briefly the six points are as follows:

1. War should be fought only in self defense;
2. War should be undertaken only as a last resort;
3. A decision to enter war should be made only by a legitimate authority;
4. All military responses must be proportional to the threat;
5. There must be a reasonable chance of success; and
6. A public declaration notifying all parties concerned is required.

The war in Iraq fails to meet almost all of these requirements. This discrepancy has generated anger and division within the Christian community.

Some are angry because the war is being fought out of Christian duty, yet does not have uniform support from all Christians. Others are angry because they see Christianity as a religion as peace and forgiveness, not war and annihilation of enemies. (transcript (http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2006/cr062906.htm)) (youtube on RP/just war (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hCKZmkF0VU))

ladyliberty
11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
How can you call yourself a Christian if you DON'T support Ron Paul?

Right! Check out www.christiansforronpaul.com

entropy
11-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I saw a bumper sticker about 2 weeks ago and I now use it as my main point in discussions with the Christian base.......Who Would Jesus Bomb???????? WWJB

RonPaulVolunteer
11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
The video of Ron Paul at the Iowa Pastors Forum is now available through the Ron Paul Video Podcast.

Click here to view within iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=268813401

If you do not have iTunes, you will NEED it. Get it here free: iTunes for PC or Mac (http://www.itunes.com). Install iTunes and then click the link above.

This video has been called by many on these forums the very best video to show to Christians.

Digg this. (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Video_Podcast_for_iPhone_iPods)

sharedvoice
11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Married to the same wife for over 50 years!

A rope leash
11-25-2007, 04:27 PM
No one is any more "christian" than any one else. There is no such thing as a "degree" of religiousness, there are only different kinds of religiousness. Everyone takes from their chosen religion in a personal matter, and though some may be very fervent in their beliefs, they are not so much on a higher plane than they are on a different plane.

Huck-a-bee seems to be of the John Ashcroft "calico cats are evil" breed of Christian. He appeals to the evangelicals. I didn't know if Ron Paul was Christian or not, but I assumed he was, since you must be associated with a fantasy-based belief system to even be considered for office in the USA, and he's out of Texas, so...but he isn't the kind of Chrisitian that makes a big deal out of it. Effectively, that's most Christians, thank God!

I get the feeling that the person who attempted to inflict Christian shame upon the Ron Paul supporter here might be a George W. Bush "God told me to invade Iraq" kind of Chrisitian, one who undoubtedly thinks we are living in the end times and that Christian duty requires that we participate fully in the fullfillment of those prophecies. George has already said that history won't judge him, because there won't be anyone left to do the judging. There's a nice hunk of these kind of Christians around where I live...they really see these wars and their candidates with the eye of their religious traditions...you know, the Inquisition, the Crusades...of course, it's all in Revelations...

torchbearer
11-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Pat Robertson Endorses Rudy Guiliani, perhaps modern day Christianity now shares the same morality as Rudy. At least, that's Pat Robertson's idea of christianity.
To me, its absurd and obscene. The whole GOP slate minus Ron looks like an obscene/absurd joke. Is this reality? What the hell happened over the last 20 years?

ItsTime
11-25-2007, 04:37 PM
If more Christians were like Ron Paul there would be more Christians in the world.

torchbearer
11-25-2007, 04:51 PM
If more Christians were like Ron Paul there would be more Christians in the world.

I don't think there would be any religious divisions or "Sects" anymore if we simply saw each others as brothers and sisters.
Even the words christian/muslin/jew are used not as descriptors but as tools of division by our enemies to destroy our creator's family.

american.swan
11-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I posted only one time but I get the sense that Christians are not being reached enough by the campaign. The one thing I thought of was the Christian version of youtube its called GodTube. It gets a ton of traffic and some of the Christian Ron Paul videos from YouTube could be put on there. There is only one RP video currently on the site. The Christian voters are a huge group of people that would really respond to RP's message. Some of the video have been 300,000 views or more. Ron Paul's one video has 30,000 views and some of the 81 comments show a complete misunderstanding of Ron Paul. I don't know how to do this, but if it gets 30,000 thousand views I think its worth doing.

good idea!

american.swan
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't think there would be any religious divisions or "Sects" anymore if we simply saw each others as brothers and sisters.
Even the words christian/muslin/jew are used not as descriptors but as tools of division by our enemies to destroy our creator's family.

That is a great thought. And really true

torchbearer
11-25-2007, 06:03 PM
That is a great thought. And really true

I no longer use those words of division, i simply refer to my fellow human being as brothers and sisters... even if they don't believe in a higher being... they are still family. We should treat everyone as family. With the same love we have for each other here... a family in freedom. striving for a better future for everyone.
We bring a message of hope... our enemy tries to rule us with fear.
If we no longer choose to be afraid, then we will become free. I am filled with so much hope... and I am all in until the end.
We can do this!

Midnight77
11-25-2007, 06:52 PM

I'll start...

Ron Paul...

Throw the question back at them and see what they say. Have them explain to you how Ron Paul is Not a Christian.

Corydoras
11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
There's a thread on a Catholic rating of Ron Paul, FWIW, whatever non-Catholic Christians may think of them...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=41385

torchbearer
11-25-2007, 07:20 PM

qft.

Theocrat
11-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I think the only issue that Christians would have a problem with is Dr. Paul's thoughts on homosexuality. Here is an excerpt (http://www.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=916) from a radio interview Dr. Paul did with John Lofton of "The American View" on his views of homosexuality and the military:

— Homosexuality And The Military. Is homosexuality a sin? Paul says he’s “not as judgmental about that probably because of my medical background. I don’t see it in [such] simplistic terms. I think it’s a complex issue to think it’s a sin or other problems with the way people are born. It’s too complex to give an answer as simple as that [that homosexuality is a sin.]”

Does he believe God says homosexuality is a sin? “Well, I believe a lot of people understand it that way but I think everybody is God’s child, too, so, you know, I have trouble with that.” I point out that, Biblically-speaking, all human beings are made in God’s image but not all are God’s children; some people are children of the devil. For example, in John 8:44ff, Jesus tells some folks they believe He is not God because their father is the devil.

Re: Paul having said that President Clinton’s “don’t-ask-don’t-tell” policy concerning homosexuals in our military is “a decent policy” and that he, as President, would retain it, I ask him, why, instead, wouldn’t he have said something like this:

Unrepentant homosexuals and adulterers, and others in these kinds of categories, are not decent people, they are people with flawed characters. Therefore, to the extent humanly possible, as President, I would attempt to seek to bar such persons of poor and bad character from our military.

Paul says well, for every homosexual problem we have in our military we also have a heterosexual problem. I agree saying fine, so both types should be banned. I ask: why not try — as far as is humanly possible — to ban from our military all homosexuals, adulterers, fornicators? He says: “Well,…we’re all imperfect, we all sin. If the heterosexual or the homosexual sins, that to me is a category dealing with their own soul. Since we can’t have only perfect people go in the military, I want to separate the two because I don’t want to know the heterosexual flaws or the homosexual flaws….For the practicality of running a military, I’d just as soon not know every serious thing that any heterosexual did or any homosexual did. And those flaws have to do with all our flaws because each and every one of us have those imperfections and we all are sinners.”

I reply: “Well, we’re all sinners but some people do work harder at their sin than others. Some are repentant sinners fighting their sin; and others like unrepentant homosexuals are marching down Main Street saying that they are proud that they are homosexuals — these are not people who are merely sinners.”

I ask: If we both want people in our military of good moral character, how do we find out before they go in if they in fact are of good moral character? Isn’t it better to find this out before people are in our military?

Paul: “Well, I think it’s virtually impossible if you are looking for perfection in good moral character —”

Me: “I’m not” [looking for perfection.]

Paul: “Maybe you’re looking for perfection — you have to define good moral character —”

Me: “Sure.”

Paul: “And that means people don’t lie, cheat, steal, murder, they don’t beat their wives, and they’ve taken care of their kids.”

Me: “OK.”

Paul: “And so if you can find people like that then you know they may not be perfect but they would be of moral character that could be in our military.”

I tell him I believe God will not bless any military that’s full of unrepentant homosexuals, adulterers and fornicators. He does not reply to this observation.

Besides that, I don't see any reason why Christians should be ashamed to support Congressman Paul for President. Most of his political platform/philosophy is substantiated by the Bible, more so than Mike Huckabee's, I can assure you!

A rope leash
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
"I tell him I believe God will not bless any military that’s full of unrepentant homosexuals, adulterers and fornicators. He does not reply to this observation."

Why would he respond to that? If you have ever been in the military, you know that it is made up of the same people one would find in the civilian population. The military is full of human beings, therefore, it's full of sinners. The idea that "God" would bless any group of killers is pretty bizarre, anyway...wasn't "Thou shalt not kill" one of the Big Ten rules for living?

There are gays in the military because there are gays in the population...and adulterers and fornicators, and all manner of humans, so why treat them as if they were less than worthy when they take a job as a government combat unit? I met all kinds of people when I was in the military. I met very few who thought they had to be pure in order to serve. If God will forgive them for the killing they might do, then the fornicating won't be much of a problem, I wouldn't think. In fact, a lot of the harder types I met were in it for the debauchery at discount prices to be found in ports and stations around the world. My brother still talks about the whores in Thailand...and he got plenty of medals.

Well, they took their kids in their teenage years
Gave them a God that they could fear
Said they could kill but not drink beer
and sent them away
some came home in a body bag
some came home wrapped in a flag
and on each toe they hung a tag
saying there'll be more someday

...'cause they have short memories

- Graham Parker

ItsTime
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
100% agree with that. It is pretty much what I was saying in my head

weatherbill
11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/69/files/

click the RP comparison flye r08

this flyer is awsome and covers all the candidates including a "christian alert" on Huckabee.

SovereignMN
11-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I am also a Baptist and get similar reactions when I pull into the church parking lot with my Ron Paul bumper sticker.

Sadly, many of today's Christians have swallowed the neo-con kool aid and believe we must bring salvation to the infidel with the sword.

My quick response is:

1) He's got a consistently pro-life record. Contrary to the other so-called pro-life candidates in the race he's actually attempted to reverse Roe V Wade while in elected office.

2) He obey's the commandment "thou shalt not steal" and believes it should apply to the government as well.

3) He is the only candidate who will keep his oath to God to obey the Constitution he's sworn to uphold.

4) He believes that only PARENTS, not the government, should be able to tell you how to educate your children.

jarmoore
11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
They must think the war in Iraq is a new age crusade to spread Christianity across the Middle East ...

micahnelson
11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Ron Paul doesn't want to kill Muslims. What kind of Christian can support that? ::eyeroll::

goldenequity
11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Here's a couple of things that might help in Iowa and elsewhere:

Ending the IRS: Huckabee vs. Ron Paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3BxggBTa8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3BxggBTa8)

Chuck Baldwin just emailed out his latest bulletin concerning
his reasons, reluctance and warning to Christians embracing Mike Huckabee
found here:
http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2007/cbarchive_20071127.html (http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2007/cbarchive_20071127.html)

I condensed and edited his email into a tri-fold for Christian supporters to email out or print and hand out.

http://ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/huckabeecolor.pdf (http://ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/huckabeecolor.pdf)

http://ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/HuckabeeTriColor.png

Vote Mike Huckabee, a former Pastor!

That's about all most Christians know.

They NEED to have a REASON to reject Mike Huckabee and move on to Ron Paul.
They are not hearing it from the pulpit. They're not hearing it from the media.
How are they going to hear it?

There is no such thing as "The Evangelical Endorsement" in the 2008 election.
The "Christian" vote is up for grabs..... and it is a HUGE Republican voting block.

I know, I know...... I don't like "negative" campaigning either...... but how about if we file this flyer under "critical thinking"??? :rolleyes:
This is pretty factual, persuasive stuff (imo).

Wendi
11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Interesting responses... I'm amazed this thread is still alive.

I'll keep that flyer in mind. But I think I've decided that a church where I'm going to have my faith questioned because of the candidate I support is not one I am interested in going to anymore.

... One more interesting turn of events in my life due to this campaign ;)

Kade
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Here's a couple of things that might help in Iowa and elsewhere:

Ending the IRS: Huckabee vs. Ron Paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3BxggBTa8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3BxggBTa8)

Chuck Baldwin just emailed out his latest bulletin concerning
his reasons, reluctance and warning to Christians embracing Mike Huckabee
found here:
http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2007/cbarchive_20071127.html (http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2007/cbarchive_20071127.html)

I condensed and edited his email into a tri-fold for Christian supporters to email out or print and hand out.

http://ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/huckabeecolor.pdf (http://ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/huckabeecolor.pdf)

http://ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/HuckabeeTriColor.png

Vote Mike Huckabee, a former Pastor!

That's about all most Christians know.

They NEED to have a REASON to reject Mike Huckabee and move on to Ron Paul.
They are not hearing it from the pulpit. They're not hearing it from the media.
How are they going to hear it?

There is no such thing as "The Evangelical Endorsement" in the 2008 election.
The "Christian" vote is up for grabs..... and it is a HUGE Republican voting block.

I know, I know...... I don't like "negative" campaigning either...... but how about if we file this flyer under "critical thinking"??? :rolleyes:
This is pretty factual, persuasive stuff (imo).

Huckabee is a bloody creationist who likes to free psychotic killers on parole and thinks that all children should be forced on their knees to profess in his strict version of Southern Baptism.

Ironically, I couldn't even be sarcastic about it... it's mostly true =(

jumpyg1258
11-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Blessed are the peacemakers.

I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers".

What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

Kade
11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers".

What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

You despise Fox, which means you are probably a very smart person. You also don't seem to be one of the ranting mad Christians here... I wish there were more like you here.

jumpyg1258
11-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I also like Monty Python which should be a plus in anyones book.

iptf2
11-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I support ron paul and I am not a christian or a muslim or anything religious. I AM AN AMERICAN ATHEIST AND PROUD OF IT. RELIGION SHOULD PLAY NO PART IN SECULAR GOVERNMENT.

JMann
11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
The thing that asked that question is a godbot not a person. They probably have the Jesus Loves Me song playing in their head all day long and all thoughts are programmed via scripture.

Mrossca
11-28-2007, 02:48 PM

I'll start...

Ron Paul...

Do not underestimate the irrationality of anti-Ron Paul people. One older lady near camp pendleton called me a democrat in disguise while i was handing out flyers. She then told me that I was disgracing the military.

When I told her that I was here with 1) 3 veterans of the iraq war and 2) he had received the most military donations, she called me a liar and said that it was the democrats supporting him.

These people are all emotionally and big 5 media driven.

Kade
11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I support ron paul and I am not a christian or a muslim or anything religious. I AM AN AMERICAN ATHEIST AND PROUD OF IT. RELIGION SHOULD PLAY NO PART IN SECULAR GOVERNMENT.

Ramen my brother. =)

jmdrake
11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
I didn't bother discussing it with them, let alone asking who they support :mad:

I made that mistake *last* week, when someone said about the same thing. They looked at me with the most sincere face you've ever seen, and said, "Hillary." http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

You have GOT to be kidding me! A Hillary supporter asked you how a Christian could support Ron Paul? (I hate to say it. But a certain radio talk show host that is a friend of Ron Paul's but that some people love to hate predicted over a year ago that some in the religious right would start giving the same worship they had reserved for W.)

Anyway, the obvious follow up question, after you pick your jaw up off the floor, is why did this person think that someone who supports late term abortion, who strongly backs the gay political agenda and who wants to micromanage families is the "Christian" choice? I'm sure it comes down to her support for the war in Iraq (as flip flopping as it may be). The follow up question is "Since when did proving how warlike you can be become the litmus test for Christianity"?

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
The thing that asked that question is a godbot not a person. They probably have the Jesus Loves Me song playing in their head all day long and all thoughts are programmed via scripture.

Nah. Someone truly programmed by scripture wouldn't have skipped over versus like "Love your enemies" or "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword" or "blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God." Really, don't blame the Bible for the stupidity of some people who (claim) to read it.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Kade
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Nah. Someone truly programmed by scripture wouldn't have skipped over versus like "Love your enemies" or "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword" or "blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God." Really, don't blame the Bible for the stupidity of some people who (claim) to read it.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Sorry John, I respect you more than many here... but the most faithful people of the bible are the most likely to be the most warmongering. If I can convince half of the moderate decent Christians this, we wouldn't have the backlash against faith we do now...

Thomas Paine
12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Thou shalt not judge lest ye be judged.

traitorist
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM

ah, there it is, the most misquoted scripture in the entire Bible.

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 07:54 PM

I thought it was forgive as you would wish to be forgiven? ;)

traitorist
12-03-2007, 07:54 PM
1 Corinthians 5:12-13 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

11...you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother (someone who calls themselves a Christian) but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

1 Corinthians 5...The chapter most ignored and untaught by today's churches, even though it's specifically FOR THE CHURCH.

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
excerpt from The Lord's Prayer:

And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.

Corydoras
12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
excerpt from The Lord's Prayer:

And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.

Well, if you're confident in your judgments, you're not going to be afraid to stand before God and say, "I did my best and screwed up lots of times, judge me fairly as I deserve."

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Well, if you're confident in your judgments, you're not going to be afraid to stand before God and say, "I did my best and screwed up lots of times, judge me fairly as I deserve."

I will ask to be forgiven in the same manner I have forgiven others... this is what Jesus taught us.. is it not?

freelance
12-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm a Christian.

What was their logic?

I'm just taking a gander here. Huckabee wears his religion on his sleeve. He seems to confuse a presidential debate with an old-time revival. Dr. Paul sticks to the matter at hand--the run for the White House. One is a loud-mouth Christian; the other is a Christian in thought and deed, but doesn't cram it down your throat with words THAT DO NOT MATTER in the context of a political interview or a political debate!!!

It seems that unless you talk about your faith nonstop, some people don't believe that you're a Christian. Some are voting for a Christian in Chief who happens to be running for President; others are voting for Commander in Chief who happens to be a Christian.

We were not treated to these sermons on faith ad infinitum until Jimmy Carter ran for President, and I'm sick to death of this mix of religion and politics. If I want religion, I'll go to church or open my Bible. I'm not searching for religion when I tune in to the political scene any more than I'm looking for financial advice when I tune in to the Food network.

But that's just me, and I'm afraid some of the Christian right cares more about their President's faith than his credentials and record in service to the American people.

Triton
12-08-2007, 07:25 PM

I'll start...

Ron Paul...

There's more, I know... those are the *big ones* off the top of my head that are pretty revealing when compared to other candidates.As a former culture warrior, I can answer this question, I think, quite well. For Gods people to say that they need to give a huge government God-like power to enforce morality is to say that God is not powerful enough to change hearts and minds.
2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." It doesn't say call upon the kings of the Earth - it says call upon GOD. We can have the liberty to call upon God in a free and open society where government reflects the culture, or we can call upon Him from concentration camps and gas chambers. Which will it be?