PDA

View Full Version : FL-Cop shows up on routine business. Family dog gets out front door, cop shoots dog.

Anti Federalist
09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Circular Force Continuum.

Policy was followed.

Bug Splat.

Ocoee family says officer shot, killed pet

Police investigate shooting
Author: Lisa Bell, Reporter, Fill-in anchor, lbell@clickorlando.com
Published On: Sep 24 2012 11:51:56 PM EDT Updated On: Sep 25 2012 07:52:59 AM EDT

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Ocoee-family-says-officer-shot-killed-pet/-/1637132/16724956/-/iet82t/-/index.html

OCOEE, Fla. - A Central Florida family is demanding justice after their pet dog was shot and killed by a police officer.

Jackie and Mitch Schutt said an Ocoee police officer knocked on their front door on Sept. 18 to return an ID, but when Jackie opened the door, her dogs ran out to the porch and, she said, the unthinkable happened.

"The officer just pulled out his gun and shot her three times while I had a hold of her," said Jackie Schutt.

The Schutts say their family is traumatized and devastated after the officer shot and killed their 3-year-old boxer, Laila.

They said it happened seconds after opening their door, without warning, right in front of their eyes.

"You can't get another dog to replace her. She was our family member," said Mitch Schutt.

The Schutts say Laila, and their other boxer, Ali, came outside just to protect the family. They think Laila barked at the officer's feet and scratched his ankle with her nail, but the officer said he was bit, felt threatened and opened fire.

The Schutts say bullet fragments struck their front door right where their 9-year-old and 6-year-old children were standing.

"My kids witnessed it all," said Mitch Schutt. "He could have not only shot my wife, but ricochet could have hit my kids."

They have now turned to Facebook, launching a "Justice for Laila" page.

They've also hired an attorney, but said they don't want money, but they do want the officer off the job.

"What if I jumped on top of her and he shot me because he didn't even say, 'Hey, I'm pulling my gun, I'm going to shoot your dog.' Nothing," said Jackie Schutt.

Ocoee police confirmed to Local 6 they are investigating the shooting.

They would not release the officer's name, but said he was not suspended and is now back on duty.

Ocoee police Lt. Stephen McCosker said the officer involved is a veteran who's been on the force for more than 10 years. Lt. McCosker also said the officer also took a few days of medical leave to recover from the bite.

Local 6's legal expert Luis Calderon said officers have the right to come onto someone's property and shoot and kill a dog, but only if the officer has reason to believe they are in danger.

The Schutts say the Ocoee officer was never in danger and added he refused treatment from paramedics after the incident.

alucard13mmfmj
09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
The dog was just doing its job. The dog does a better job than the police to protect its family.

A dog is an alarm and can scare/fight off burglars.

I semi-fault the family for having the dog anywhere near the front door. Anyone who owns a dog knows that the dog will bark and kinda lunge at visitors at the door. Most of the blame would be the officer's lack of restraint and endangering everyone in the neighborhood.

I seriously think police should carry bear spray and train police to draw out the bearspray before drawing out the fire arm when dealing with a dog or a cat or a turtle or a bird.

If the police officer really got bit and hurt, he could always sue the dog owner... instead of shooting it and getting sued/losing job.

kathy88
09-25-2012, 12:28 PM
No one's losing anything.

They would not release the officer's name, but said he was not suspended and is now back on duty.

alucard13mmfmj
09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Children was probably traumatized from the loud gunfire, violent death of their pet in front of their eyes (probably close enough for blood to splatter on them), and close to dying from bullet fragments.