PDA

View Full Version : question of ethics for being constable

dswareagle
09-25-2012, 12:09 AM
In Alabama, a constable is traditionally elected in each precinct, a subdivision of a county. Constables are peace officers and have full powers of arrest, stop and search within their county.[27][28][29] They are generally responsible for serving warrants and acting as process servers, as well as patrolling the streets and providing security for civic events. They are not funded from general tax revenues; instead, constables' fees are paid by the criminals they arrest.[30

so how can i be a libertarian and do this job

Article V
09-25-2012, 03:13 AM
In Alabama, a constable is traditionally elected in each precinct, a subdivision of a county. Constables are peace officers and have full powers of arrest, stop and search within their county.[27][28][29] They are generally responsible for serving warrants and acting as process servers, as well as patrolling the streets and providing security for civic events. They are not funded from general tax revenues; instead, constables' fees are paid by the criminals they arrest.[30

so how can i be a libertarian and do this jobI'm not exactly sure what your question is. Libertarians are committed to protect individuals from the abuse of others. Assuming your actions as a constable would be to maintain the peace by providing security (i.e., protecting individuals from outside abuse) where needed and/or arresting those who wrongfully use force to harm individuals and/or their property, then you'd be acting as a libertarian while doing your job.

I'm not sure why libertarianism is involved in your question. This all seems obvious.

If you're worried about being forced to enforce a punishment for a so-called crime where there is no abuse, then simply don't enforce those. If anyone harasses you about it, just explain that the so-called criminal has free will and that--unless he's using that gift of free will to abuse others--you feel it's not your job to interfere in his natural right to make decisions for him regarding his own life. Your job as constable is to protect individuals from abuse by others, not to be a parent to free-thinking adults. Explain that arresting someone for a victimless crime would likely waste tax-payer money since a sympathetic jury is likely to use jury nullification rather than enforce a law that infringes on the freedom of responsible adults. Then let the chips fall where they may.

nobody's_hero
09-25-2012, 04:13 AM
You're probably not going to get paid much.