PDA

View Full Version : VA-83 year old woman calls cops over intruder. Cops show up and kill her.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Bug Splat.

Combat Quals.

Circular Force Continuum.

<<high five>>

Family Believes Towler Couldn't See or Hear Officers

http://www.wset.com/story/19608792/family-believes-towler-couldnt-see-or-hear-officers

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 4:40 PM EST

http://wset.images.worldnow.com/images/19608792_BG1.JPG

Altavista, VA - Delma Towler's family wants an apology from Altavista police. Friday, her oldest daughter spoke with ABC 13 News for the first time since Wednesday night when an Altavista officer shot and killed Towler.

Madeline Clark says it was impossible for her mom to have seen officers or even hear them saying drop the weapon. Towler's hearing aids were not in her ears, and her glasses were not on.

Friday, the family took us inside Towler's home. They showed us first-hand why they say Towler is a victim in this case. They showed us her hearing aids still in the house and bullet holes in the ceiling. They say she was not trying to shoot at an officer, but was chasing what she believed was an intruder out of her home.

"Someone came in to this house terrorizing her. And she started shooting just to scare them. There's bullet holes up on the ceiling. There's another one right there," said Madeline Clark, Towler's daughter.

Delma Towler's daughter says the 83-year-old was protecting herself. She was a good Christian woman, who had never fired a gun in her life. She says Towler would never have fired at an officer.

"If she were shooting at somebody to kill, she wouldn't have been shooting at the ceiling. She's just trying to frighten them away," said Clark.

Family says there may have been an intruder. Their proof: Towler's pocketbook is gone.

"And she kept it sitting right here beside her recliner - and it's missing," said Clark, pointing to a table alongside the living room chair.

Events inside Towler's home are just the start; questions remain about Towler's final moments. Her family says, for safety, Towler left her own home and walked to her sister's two doors down. It was there, an officer shot and killed Towler. Her sister Margaret says she saw the whole thing.

"And Margaret said she did not have a gun pointed at anybody. She was trying to get in to the deck gate to get in to the house," said Clark.

But, the state police investigation indicates Towler refused to put down her gun. Her family says Towler couldn't have seen or heard the officer. Her glasses were in her home and her hearing aids off.

"She didn't have her hearing aids on because here they are right here," said Clark.

More than anything, family wants an apology from Altavista Police.

"How do you move forward?" we asked Clark.

"I don't know," she replied. "They took my mama."

phill4paul
09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Sorry grandma ain't gonna give you much traction. Try this pic in the OP...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwuSvj3sj9py3aioSO5POKF0wCJIgm-GPU_C6wDdyFMrS-p6YJ

aGameOfThrones
09-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I think there should be a law regulating the elderly with a mental and physical exam showing adequate handling of a gun. This tragic event would have never happened if such law existed.

coastie
09-24-2012, 11:15 PM
I think there should be a law regulating the elderly with a mental and physical exam showing adequate handling of a gun. This tragic event would have never happened if such law existed.

Again, for the thousandth time, from someone who used to hold these very powers of judge,jury and executioner.....this is fucking bullshit, that cop should fry for this.

I know I would've fried if I would have shot and killed grandma during a boarding when I was still in the CG. Look up the last time the CG was involved in a shooting...and good luck with that, last I heard it was during an armed robbery, not even on the water-they were trailering a boat and happened upon the robbery in progress in a store they stopped at. And the CG tried to fry those guys for that!!! Public opinion put the kibosh on that though, they were viewed as local heroes, so the CG didn't do anything to them.

Maybe it's the training, that "everyone is out to get them".

It really bothers me being someone who used to carry everyday as part of my job that police are so careless nowadays with the discharging of weapons/firing into human beings.

James Madison
09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Again, for the thousandth time, from someone who used to hold these very powers of judge,jury and executioner.....this is fucking bullshit, that cop should fry for this.

I know I would've fried if I would have shot and killed grandma during a boarding when I was still in the CG. Look up the last time the CG was involved in a shooting...and good luck with that, last I heard it was during an armed robbery, not even on the water-they were trailering a boat and happened upon the robbery in progress in a store they stopped at. And the CG tried to fry those guys for that!!! Public opinion put the kibosh on that though, they were viewed as local heroes, so the CG didn't do anything to them.

Maybe it's the training, that "everyone is out to get them".

It really bothers me being someone who used to carry everyday as part of my job that police are so careless nowadays with the discharging of weapons/firing into human beings.

Sad, but true, I'm afraid...

Killer is a Mundane: "Murder", "Felony", "Evil, vicious"
Killer is a Cop: "Technical error", "Miscommunication", "Failure of procedure", "Brave hero"

Bug Splat.

Combat Quals.

Circular Force Continuum.

<<high five>>

Family Believes Towler Couldn't See or Hear Officers

http://www.wset.com/story/19608792/family-believes-towler-couldnt-see-or-hear-officers

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 4:40 PM EST

http://wset.images.worldnow.com/images/19608792_BG1.JPG

Altavista, VA - Delma Towler's family wants an apology from Altavista police. Friday, her oldest daughter spoke with ABC 13 News for the first time since Wednesday night when an Altavista officer shot and killed Towler.

Stockholm Syndrome, much? These cops murder their grandmother, and they want an apology?! I'd want these murderers (that's what they are) locked away for the rest of their miserable lives.

coastie
09-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Sad, but true, I'm afraid...

Killer is a Mundane: "Murder", "Felony", "Evil, vicious"
Killer is a Cop: "Technical error", "Miscommunication", "Failure of procedure", "Brave hero"

Stockholm Syndrome, much? These cops murder their grandmother, and they want an apology?! I'd want these murderers (that's what they are) locked away for the rest of their miserable lives.

Yeah-it amazes me how much restraint these people have after cops kill a family member for no reason at all.

I would not be able to find that restraint, I'm afraid.:mad:

idiom
09-24-2012, 11:33 PM
So I was watching the New Zealand Equivalent of cops last night. The most dramatic thing the police encountered the entire show was a call-out where a seagull had been maimed by something and some little kids were trying to save it.

It didn't work out for the seagull but it was heart wrenching.

America is like... another planet.

Flugel89
09-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Sometimes I wonder about how I could help, if I became an officer, blew the whistle on corruption, and ignored victimless crimes, then I realize how quickly I'd be fired for crossing the 'blue line' and get defamed by the media.

That and collecting tax dollars for my paycheck isn't exactly an aspiration of mine.

PaulConventionWV
09-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Yes, quite. More laws always solve the problem. The state telling us who is capable of using a gun is just what we need.

PaulConventionWV
09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Sometimes I wonder about how I could help, if I became an officer, blew the whistle on corruption, and ignored victimless crimes, then I realize how quickly I'd be fired for crossing the 'blue line' and get defamed by the media.

That and collecting tax dollars for my paycheck isn't exactly an aspiration of mine.

You have to have a quota for some victimless crimes like speeding, so that wouldn't really work out. It's tempting to become a police officer, especially if you can't find a real job. You get a good salary with very little chance of suspension or being let go, and you have almost absolute power over people along with immunity to most laws. It's a real temptation since the growing police state is always looking for more hard-headed thugs to fill their ranks. It's true, you have very few limits as a police officer, very few consequences.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2012, 07:14 AM

What are you talking about? How did she mishandle a gun? She shot at somebody who was in her house.

Philhelm
09-25-2012, 07:19 AM

In the Army, firing a round into a clearing barrel could result in loss of rank and pay. Nevermind actually killing someone by mistake.

Meanwhile, cops routinely get a paid vacation when they accidentally (or intentionally!) kill a U.S. citizen.

RickyJ
09-25-2012, 07:21 AM
They need to change their slogan from "to serve and protect", to "to terrorize and kill."

If they just put that on the side of their cars then people would know to never call them.

phill4paul
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
LOL. aGOT is playing the part of a place holder for the apologists. There is so few of them these days. And that is a good thing. ;)

moostraks
09-25-2012, 07:50 AM

My thoughts as well. The last thing you would hear me saying after these individuals did this to the loved one is oh,please give me an apology. This seems to be the theme nowadays through many of these stories. Not to be too paranoid(healthy scepticism is fine, paranoia umm not so good), but are we possibly being steered to think in a way that when we lose someone to these thugs parading around in official uniforms the knee jerk reaction is request apology and then move on? Where are the stories with people foaming at the mouth over the gross ignorance and misconduct that causes this type of loss of life? Have I been missing them, or are they only the stories that have some more thugs tear gassing and caging the family members for formally protesting?

VoluntaryAmerican
09-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Wow it's inescapable even on RPF. Everybody wants to write the laws, I see. This law would prevent little old ladies from protecting themselves as they see fit, brilliant idea.

sparebulb
09-25-2012, 08:49 AM
I think there should be a law regulating the elderly with a mental and physical exam showing adequate handling of a gun. This tragic event would have never happened if such law existed. /s

fixed, I hope

aGameOfThrones
09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
LOL. aGOT is playing the part of a place holder for the apologists. There is so few of them these days. And that is a good thing. ;)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liwlcvTh4e1qzyyfs.gif

Anti Federalist
09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Sorry grandma ain't gonna give you much traction. Try this pic in the OP...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwuSvj3sj9py3aioSO5POKF0wCJIgm-GPU_C6wDdyFMrS-p6YJ

You were right...:(

heavenlyboy34
09-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey, AF-got any statistics or estimates about how many of these guys are 'roided up? Cops are generally trained in self-defense/close combat AFAIK. They shouldn't need to go crazy with the CFC and so on. Most (all that I've seen on RPFs so far) of the victims in these stories could easily be handled with basic joint manipulation techniques that an adolescent can learn if there actually was a perceived threat.

The kind of ultra-violence in these sort of stories sound like steroid abuse or psychosis to me.

thoughtomator
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Family says there may have been an intruder. Their proof: Towler's pocketbook is gone.

That was probably just the cops cleaning out the joint, as there was no one left alive to say anything about it.

jmdrake
09-25-2012, 01:16 PM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHUwc1WOQJ84Qh_4voKW3RKBAUhSeu5 bjTQyNPa7CEq-x8cmkykYENIZ8iUw

That said, remember the black woman who fired a warning shot and and got 20 years (http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/05/florida_black_woman_gets_20_years_after_failed_sta nd_your_ground_defense.html) despite invoking the "stand your ground" law? Some people her at RPF defended the outcome because "A warning shot could kill some innocent bystander".

Anti Federalist
09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey, AF-got any statistics or estimates about how many of these guys are 'roided up? Cops are generally trained in self-defense/close combat AFAIK. They shouldn't need to go crazy with the CFC and so on. Most (all that I've seen on RPFs so far) of the victims in these stories could easily be handled with basic joint manipulation techniques that an adolescent can learn if there actually was a perceived threat.

The kind of ultra-violence in these sort of stories sound like steroid abuse or psychosis to me.

No, I got shit, other than compiling these incidents.

This is what broke David Packwood, and made him give up "Injustice Everywhere".

There is shit for national recording, even after it was mandated by Congress back 2007 IIRC.

Without being too melodramatic, this is it, you've reached the front lines, this is where the rubber meets the road, where the tyrannical policies we all bitch about get real people really killed, every single day, and very little is said or done about it.

Anti Federalist
08-18-2014, 11:43 AM
She was waving a gun around.

Justified.

Right?

Christian Liberty
08-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Yeah-it amazes me how much restraint these people have after cops kill a family member for no reason at all.

I would not be able to find that restraint, I'm afraid.:mad:

I doubt its "restraint." I'm guessing if that happened to anyone here, there would very likely be vigilantism involved. Most other people are conditioned into thinking cops have authority to do as they do even if they dislike it.

thoughtomator
08-18-2014, 02:23 PM

if we applied that test to cops, most would be unarmed