PDA

View Full Version : FaceBook to track users prescription drug purchasing

Agorism
09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
How Facebook Plans On Tracking Your Prescription Drug Purchases, And How To Stop Them

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/09/24/898651/facebook-cvs-rewards-card

In its quest to sell more and more specifically targeted ads, Facebook has embarked on a new partnership with data-mining company Datalogix, which tracks the real effect of online ads on consumer behavior. Datalogix compiled data on the purchasing habits of 70 million American households from loyalty card memberships of more than 1,000 retailers, including drugstores. Although Facebook and Datalogix claim not to share individual data with one another, they will match up Facebook accounts with real life identities to determine whether a Facebook ad led that person to buy a product — and Facebook will use this data to show advertisers what kinds of ads are most effective.
As the Atlantic Wire points out, one of Datalogix’s sources is the CVS ExtraCare card program, which catalogs regular drug purchases by members in order to reward them with discounts. Facebook is keeping the profiles anonymous, but the potential for abuse is significant.
Pharmaceutical industry giants spent about $1 billion on online advertisements in 2010, but are hobbled on social media by FDA guidelines that require the disclosure of all risks alongside benefits. Facebook helped Big Pharma satisfy this regulation by allowing drug companies to block comments on their Facebook pages and control their content. When Facebook eventually required them to open comments, many companies got rid of their pages — but according to some reports, Big Pharma representatives still kept tabs on Facebook groups and pages meant to offer support to people with health problems. This isn’t a new strategy; even before Facebook existed, companies sent representatives to milk cancer support groups. But on Facebook, it’s even easier to identify sick people vulnerable to certain types of marketing.
So Facebook’s consumer information allows pharmaceutical companies to maximize their social media influence without being directly involved in the data collection. By studying regular drug purchasing habits, a company can draw conclusions about the types of ailments and demographic traits that make someone more susceptible to their advertisements — all without actually violating the FDA’s advertising requirements.
You can opt out of Datalogix’ collection through this link.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
But on Facebook, it’s even easier to identify sick people vulnerable to certain types of marketing.

And this would never be used by potential employers to black list you from a job

And this would never be used by government to revoke professional licenses or certifications.

And this would never be used by insurnace companies to deny you insurance.

And this would never be used by police for "fishing expeditions".

FarceBook.

FraudBook

FedBook.

THROW IT IN THE WOODS!

DamianTV
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
If you have nothing to hide, then why do you care if they track everything you do?

When you can not hide anything, everyone that stands to benefit from abusing your lack of privacy will do exactly that and try to benefit from abusing your lack of privacy.

AF is exactly right. It wont be long until the laws that we have become even more strict because some group, either Government, or a Corporation, will benefit from using that information against you. Facebook would probably expect to be PAID for telling potential employers to blacklist you from a job. Facebook would expect to be PAID by the Govt to revote professional licenses or certifications. Facebook would expect to be PAID by Insurance Companies for finding a reason to deny any benefit claims, while turning back around and raising your Insurance Rates.

The difference between Legal and Illegal has nothing to do with there being a victim of a persons actions, the real difference is whether or not whatever the activity or action is has been written down on paper yet as a means to take more money from you and / or others. At the rate we are going, it wont be long until every person who has expired medications in their medicine cabinet are fined heavily (jail sentences cost money, but they benefit from collecting fines) for not throwing out unused medications before they expire. Then it will extend to food, and you WILL BE FINED for even purchasing bacon or other foods that somehow dont benefit the status quo. These actions are intended to maintain the illusion that their fines issued (either by insurance, employers, or the government) is intended to protect you, while the reality is they are merely in place as a means to somehow benefit those who are doing the controlling.

LibertyEagle
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Man, I SO hate this stuff. It's not good. Not good at all. :(

coastie
09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
< still glad he never got facebook, holy shit balls.:eek:

But, alas...I'm not AT ALL surprised.

ETA: I know people that freeely discuss things such as drugs, etc, on facebook all the time, like no one is watching. Sad and scary all at the same time.

Sad because we, in these United States of America, have to watch what we say at all times.

Scary because so many still believe they have privacy.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Man, I SO hate this stuff. It's not good. Not good at all. :(

Honestly, is it just me becoming more paranoid, being immersed in this shit 24/7, or are things really starting to close in and accelerate?

coastie
09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Honestly, is it just me becoming more paranoid, being immersed in this shit 24/7, or are things really starting to close in and accelerate?

No, they're closing in and accelerating.

Part of why I won't take a job I could EASILY get on the oil fields of Louisiana-I'd like to be close to home, and the bugout location, when TSHTF.

;)

FrancisMarion
09-24-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't have credit cards because I try to remain debt free as possible. Creditors tell me this reflects poorly on my "credit". In there mind I suppose that I must be a loose cannon if I don't have a credit card.

By the way it looks like facebook stock lost 10% today

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-24-2012, 07:37 PM

I think it's accelerating too. Being immersed in it probably doesn't help, either. Honestly, I think nobody's gonna give a shit until they miss 4-5 meals in a row. We might all be better off if this happens sooner instead of later.

DamianTV
09-24-2012, 07:41 PM

You are paranoid if they are NOT after you. You are NOT paranoid if they ARE after you. But yes, things are really starting to accelerate.