PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with the American people...

adwads
11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I know that we're doing great, and that Ron Paul "is catching on," but I'm still frustrated with the American people that lots of them are still supporting the status quo by sticking with Frudy McRhompson or whatever.

What were essentially saying is this...a large part of the american public favors endless war in the middle east, out-of-control spending, a war on drugs which doesn't work, more bureaucrats running your life from D.C., etc. How can this be? There is such a clear alternative to all of this nonsense.

Why are people scared of Ron Paul? I think one of the reasons is that people know that he will actually do what he says, and that we WILL actually have change in this country...

MsDoodahs
11-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Change of any kind is frightening.

Janet0116
I hear you. I had a great time this weekend campaigning at a tailgate party, but was so disheartened when I heard so many people (mostly middle age white guys) say "we have to fight the evil muslims"... or even, "the American Revolution is not over until the whole world is American!" I just can't talk to people who have that mindset.

BUT, overall, I received lots and lots of positive feedback from young voters, much older voters, and the black voters!! So do not lose hope!!

Sematary
I know that we're doing great, and that Ron Paul "is catching on," but I'm still frustrated with the American people that lots of them are still supporting the status quo by sticking with Frudy McRhompson or whatever.

What were essentially saying is this...a large part of the american public favors endless war in the middle east, out-of-control spending, a war on drugs which doesn't work, more bureaucrats running your life from D.C., etc. How can this be? There is such a clear alternative to all of this nonsense.

Why are people scared of Ron Paul? I think one of the reasons is that people know that he will actually do what he says, and that we WILL actually have change in this country...

Most people have never heard of Ron Paul and see no other options. Give it time. After the 16th almost everyone will know who he is.

robert4rp08
11-19-2007, 01:59 PM
People aren't afraid of Ron Paul. People are afraid of the government, and the fearmongering rhetoric of the other candidates.

Most people still don't even know who Ron Paul is because of the obvious exclusion, bias, and smear by news outlets. Once you tell someone about Ron Paul's political philosophy, their eyes light up with enthusiasm and hope.

It's frustrating, I know... but it will be worth it in the end. No one trusts the government. Ask anyone on the street. We just have to open their eyes to the rEVOLution. Keep at it. The reward will be a free America!

AFM
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it man?
I know how you feel. I try to convince my family of Ron Paul's message, yet everyone has told me that the Constitution is "outdated" and written in "a very specific time". They claim that "the government has all the power" and "it is, what it is".
It is aggravating beyond belief.
Comes with the Republic territory, I guess.

constitutional
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
NO, it's pretty simple. People don't know RP yet.

Most don't get information like we do from the internet, thus they end up taking what the media gives them. Not all of them were good at history either that's why they fail to understand our foreign policy. Also, people think RP is a joke because the media portrays him like that. If news anchors talked with a serious face about gold standard and Ron Paul's policy... then people wouldn't say "BUT RP IS NUTS, HE WANTS TO ABOLISH IRS." People just don't know the whole story and I don't blame them, they have busy life.

And like others said above, people don't know about Ron Paul. You will find this to be true as you try to talk to someone about Ron Paul.

Erazmus
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

- Mark Twain

AFM
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

- Mark Twain

Beautiful.

aroberso
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I've said this elsewhere, but you have to remember that Ron Paul's message is something they've never heard before, and is something that will rock their belief system to the core.

It is not an easy thing to swallow. I think the older you are the more difficult it is to accept.

adwads
11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
I've said this elsewhere, but you have to remember that Ron Paul's message is something they've never heard before, and is something that will rock their belief system to the core.

It is not an easy thing to swallow. I think the older you are the more difficult it is to accept.

And what they've never heard before is actually what's written in the Constitution. That is what is sad. Most people have no idea what is in the most sacred document in this country--and how far we have strayed from its principles and wisdom.

Shellshock1918
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
The willful ignorance of some is starting to get on my nerves too. I think a lot of these folks, especially the bright ones, know that Ron is speaking the truth but choose to ignore it and stick with what the establishment tells them. Its what I like to call the Vader complex; they are so conflicted as to what is right but they choose to keep following their masters. Eventually they wake up.

aroberso
11-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think it is willful ignorance, just a mix of procrastination, laziness, and thinking there is nothing they can do about it.

I guess if I were an expert at reading people, then I'd know exactly when to scream and when diplomacy would work better. I'm inclined to think diplomacy with a heave dose of facts and common sense is the better way to go.

I will hide my irritation with them in order to further the Good Doctor's cause and hopefully convert them.

A good test will be the Thanksgiving dinner table later this week. I will relish that (pun intended) opportunity.

American
11-19-2007, 02:17 PM
If you can drive the monetary policy home I think anyone would be more willing to look into RP, he is the only candidate even talking about it yet there are lots of evidence that this is a serious problem.

But I agree, I have no faith in the people but this is sure allot better then a armed revolution......=\

FreedomLover
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
My thoughts:

Most people don't fear Ron Paul; most people don't know who Ron paul is.

And for those who do but still hate him or would vote for someone else, I think it has more to do with how they perceive his supporters to be, or not being used to his views. Sympathetic republicans get turned off when they think that they are supporting someone who has truthers and racists (a vocal minority; but still a minority) or liberals in their corner.

Here's the thing: A lot of (I would say most) rank-and-file republicans really like what RP has to say about domestic issues. They just get turned off when they hear him say things like "the neo-cons" or "military-industrial complex" when referring to foreign policy issues because they're so used to hearing liberal democrats say these things. The majority of republicans still support the war in iraq. The majority of republicans support bush, even if some of them arn't pleased with him, they get angry and annoyed when they hear democrats insult him (fairly or unfairly) or call for cheney's impeachment or whatever. I see this kind of hate towards Bush and Cheney all too frequently here. They tie the 2 together, and it creates the permanent image of a candidate who isn't really on their side.

If the primaries were all open, then it probably wouldnt hurt RP much. But since most of the primaries are closed republican, this presents a problem, as long-time republicans are the ones who by and large vote in these primaries.

I'm not suggesting supporters stop talking about how much they dislike the GOP or Cheney or whoever, I'm just saying to be more aware and more sensitive to the sensibilities of republican voters.

adwads
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
My thoughts:

Most people don't fear Ron Paul; most people don't know who Ron paul is.

And for those who do but still hate him or would vote for someone else, I think it has more to do with how they perceive his supporters to be, or not being used to his views. Sympathetic republicans get turned off when they think that they are supporting someone who has truthers and racists (a vocal minority; but still a minority) or liberals in their corner.

Here's the thing: A lot of (I would say most) rank-and-file republicans really like what RP has to say about domestic issues. They just get turned off when they hear him say things like "the neo-cons" or "military-industrial complex" when referring to foreign policy issues because they're so used to hearing liberal democrats say these things. The majority of republicans still support the war in iraq. The majority of republicans support bush, even if some of them arn't pleased with him, they get angry and annoyed when they hear democrats insult him (fairly or unfairly) or call for cheney's impeachment or whatever. I see this kind of hate towards Bush and Cheney all too frequently here. They tie the 2 together, and it creates the permanent image of a candidate who isn't really on their side.

If the primaries were all open, then it probably wouldnt hurt RP much. But since most of the primaries are closed republican, this presents a problem, as long-time republicans are the ones who by and large vote in these primaries.

I'm not suggesting supporters stop talking about how much they dislike the GOP or Cheney or whoever, I'm just saying to be more aware and more sensitive to the sensibilities of republican voters.

But see, I think the only reason the Republicans still support the war is BECAUSE the democrats are against it. The Republicans want to FEEL like they are "tough" and that the democrats are for "surrender."

Why Ron Paul is so great is that he is a republican who is saying that you can still be tough and be for pulling out of Iraq. In other words, pulling out of Iraq ISN'T just a democratic/liberal position.

FreedomLover
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
But see, I think the only reason the Republicans still support the war is BECAUSE the democrats are against it. The Republicans want to FEEL like they are "tough" and that the democrats are for "surrender."

Actually, I think this is probably true for some republicans. Definitely not all, but some.

Republicans act on the assumption that everything liberals support is wrong. This either solidifies they're views or makes them more likely to support something that liberals don't. This probably transfers over to the WOT, but it's a lot more complicated then just supporting it because the liberals don't.

adwads
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Definetly true for the Hannity types I think.

gjdavis60
11-19-2007, 02:39 PM
People aren't afraid of Ron Paul. People are afraid of the government, and the fearmongering rhetoric of the other candidates.

Most people still don't even know who Ron Paul is because of the obvious exclusion, bias, and smear by news outlets. Once you tell someone about Ron Paul's political philosophy, their eyes light up with enthusiasm and hope.

Well, after all, they are the victims of the most sophisticated propaganda machine the world has ever known. You gotta cut them just a little slack, don't ya?

JimDude
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
My thinking is that people are smart and are capable of listening to reason. But the failure of the media and the government propaganda has confused people. We are all suseptible to manipulation and the key is to educate.

and to simply spread Paul's message and it will appeal to people.