PDA

View Full Version : New Cop Cars - Throw them in the woods.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Thank Uncle For The New (and $40k) COP-Spec Taurus SHO

September 19, 2012
By eric

http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/09/19/thank-uncle-for-the-new-and-40k-cop-spec-taurus-sho/

It’s getting harder to pick out cop cars in a crowd – and very soon, it’s going to get much harder still.

Also, a lot more expensive for us – ticket-wise and otherwise.

You can thank Uncle, too.

The old standby – Ford’s Crown Victoria – is being retired from the force. The last civilian-available Vic was sold in 2011. It could not make the CAFE cut – soon to go up to 35.5 MPG average in 2016 – so Ford cut it from the lineup.

A few remainders were sold after 2011 – only to police. But the end of the line has arrived at last – and the Vic is now officially history.

The ones you see in service will only be in service for another handful of years before they’re attrited into nonexistence.

Among the models replacing the Vic is a “police interceptor” version of the 2013 Taurus SHO sedan – and the Taurus, being a much more commonplace car, is going to be a lot harder to spot.

And so, avoid.

Vics were easy. They stood out from the crowd, because there are very few full-size American sedans left prowling the streets these days – and also because the Vic has very distinct Old Man . . . er, Old School profile. Once spotted, you only had to figure out whether it was a cop – or a coot – behind the wheel.

Because only cops – and old coots – drive the Vic.

If you saw a AAA sticker on the bumper – or couldn’t see more than a pair of bony hands clutching the steering wheel at 11 and 1 o’clock – coot, for sure.

If, on the other hand, it had a youngish guy behind the wheel – cop, for sure.

But the Taurus? Everyone – anyone – drives them. So, it’s going to be harder to spot the cop version. Which means, it’s going to be easier for them to nab us for “speeding” and other non-crimes.

It is also going to cost us in another, less visible way.

The Vic’s price new in 2011 (last time it was available) was $26,950. Mind, that’s for a full-size, six-passenger car with a V-8 engine. It’s about what you’d pay to get into a new V-6 Camry. (Or mid-level, non-SHO Taurus).

Ford could sell them so cheaply because the Vic was a simple (and ancient) platform that cost relatively little to manufacturer and whose R&D and tooling costs had been amortized years and years ago.

The twin-turbo, AWD Taurus SHO is neither simple nor cheap to make – which is why the civilian version lists for $39,200 – about $13k more per car than the Vic. That’s money that will come out of our hides – when the local cop shop decides it’s time to upgrade. If your sheriff buys say six of these units, that’s almost another $80k in budget line-items that your (and my) property taxes will have to cover.

Plus, probably much more in the way of down-the-road costs, too.

The full-frame, RWD Crown Vic was tough. It could take a lot of abuse – including, for instance, running up over curbs or running into deep potholes. And if something did break, it was – usually – fairly cheap and easy to repair. The Vic could be kept going for a long time, and for not much money. This is a big part of the reason for its success as a cop car. And as a taxi, too.

The SHO is orders of magnitude more complicated than the Vic. Instead of a simple, proven V-8 that is known to be capable of going 300,000-plus miles with no more than routine service – the SHO’s got those two turbos and a pair of intercoolers. The turbos alone probably cost more than an entire ready-to-go crate replacement 4.6 V-8.

The cop SHO is also all-wheel-drive – vs. simple (and immensely durable and strong) solid-axle rear drive that’s in the Vic. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when these lighter-duty SHOs pop a few curbs – and how well they stand up to almost 24-7 duty cycles that include spelunking crater-like potholes.

And when they do break – guess who’ll be paying to fix ‘em? Or – worse – replace ‘em?

Which means, there’ll be even more incentive for revenue-based “law enforcement.”

Ka-ching!

Meanwhile the turbo V-6 SHO’s gas mileage is hardly better than the V-8 Vic’s: 17 city, 25 highway vs. 16 city, 24 highway. But because the Taurus is sold with other, more fuel-efficient engines – including a turbo four (not used in the cop version) its overall CAFE numbers will be acceptable – or at least, more acceptable. The Vic, on the other hand, was always sold with a V-8 under its hood.

That’s what made it CAFE-unacceptable.

So instead of a full-size, simple – and fairly inexpensive – car, cops will shortly be driving – and we’ll be paying for – a fleet of smaller (mid-sized), much more complicated and far more expensive cop cars that will be used to fleece us even more fiercely . . . because of federal edicts that have made it impossible for Ford to continue building a car like the Crown Vic.

But wait, there’s more!

The cop Taurus, in addition to being less easy to spot – and vastly more expensive to buy and maintain – is also going to be a lot harder to get away from.

The cop-spec Vic was pretty much the same Vic Grandpa drove. It had a few heavy-duty components, but where it counted – under the hood – it had the same basic (and pretty wimpy) 4.6 V-8. Just 239 hp – and no balls at all. The “police interceptor” version – with “performance” exhaust – got up-rated to 250 hp. It still needed 8-plus seconds to get to 60. Not much of a challenge, if you were so inclined… .

Well, the new Taurus SHO Police Interceptor is packing 365 hp – and can get to 60 in just 5.8 seconds. It’s also much faster on top – with a reported top speed well over 150 MPH. The Vic couldn’t do 150 without a JATO rocket strapped to its roof. The AWD will make it capable of effective pursuit in poor weather, too.

This unit will also have the latest version of what they called SCMODS in the old Blues Brothers movie. You know: State, County, Municipal Offender Data System – SCMODS. Only this is for real and includes such techno creepiness as automatic license plate readers.

The better to ticket you with, my pretty.

The cop version of the SHO has some other features the civilian model doesn’t, including “ballistic” (bullet-resistant) door panels and structural reinforcement that make it able to withstand being rear-ended by another car doing 75 MPH. This means the cop car SHO probably costs more than the $39k civvy version of the SHO – the exact reverse of the deal with the old Vic, which sold for less than the civvy Vic, because it (the cop car) usually had less equipment than the Vic Grandpa drove.

This new cop car SHO also has something else Ford won’t sell you or or me:

A simple, mechanical key.

(Oh great clouds of doom upon the ASSHOLES that thought of the "electronic key". - AF)

No transmitter fob! It “…does not have a microchip, so replacement cost of the key is only what you’d pay for a key at the local hardware store,” croons Ford PR.

Well, at least the keys are cheap.

But of course, we’ll be paying for them, too.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-22-2012, 06:29 PM
They have Dodge Chargers around here.

kathy88
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Ours have SUVs. Durangos. With pretty camoflauge wraps.

ItsTime
09-22-2012, 07:01 PM
You will get use to spotting them again. Our town gets new cars every year. They even painted them a different color this year. But, I can already spot them a mile away.

AGRP
09-22-2012, 07:11 PM
They want better cars with the latest technology, but they dont want cops who are too smart and fit?

Henry Rogue
09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7JKHZGoRU&feature=player_detailpage#t=9s
perfect cop car IMO.

opal
09-22-2012, 07:30 PM
A long time ago, in Baton Rouge, the city police drove Harleys.. painted em *happy blue* and white.. not only could you SEE them a long way off.. but you could hear em coming too. Maybe the only police perk that I ever envied.

opal
09-22-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7JKHZGoRU&feature=player_detailpage#t=9s
perfect cop car IMO.

yet another *point and laugh* car

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I remember a coastal Massachusetts town I lived in over thirty years ago being so broke that they bought old Checker cabs and used them as cop cars.

Awesome.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 09:28 PM
They will be even more expensive to replace after the next Roger Pion crushes them.

AFPVet
09-22-2012, 09:34 PM
The Chargers are better in my opinion. The weird thing is they don't have a police interceptor engine with the active intake manifold. This is why the 2011 police Chargers weren't as fast as the 2010. They increased the weight and only added two horsepower over the previous model. The civilian model is still "rated" at 370hp, but dyno numbers prove otherwise. The civilian 2011+ Hemi Chargers have the new active intake manifold that they introduced on the trucks (which are rated at 390) interesting huh? The civilian 2011+ Chargers smoke the previous year due to the active intake (even though it's a tad heavier). I don't know why they haven't made an interceptor motor based on the active intake version yet. All they would have to do is add a high output alternator and oil cooler (if the engine doesn't already have one).

Carson
09-22-2012, 09:34 PM
The center of gravity looks to high to make a safe pursuit vehicle.

The stance looks to narrow and the field of view looks restricted...like most new cars I've seen...

but hey the people with ties to those that can counterfeit must know more about everything than the people that need to earn a dollar to have no say.

Everything.

Have you noticed?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-taurus-sho-first-drive-review

Carson
09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I remember a coastal Massachusetts town I lived in over thirty years ago being so broke that they bought old Checker cabs and used them as cop cars.

Awesome.

That would give them an opportunity to do a little moonlighting during work.

muzzled dogg
09-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Don't like cop cars?

ROGER'S REVOLUTION! COME ONE COME ALL! Lets make a stand against the police state!
Public Event · By Roger Pion, the magnificent

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Orleans County, Vermont

MC Adam Kokesh
Music, rally, and like minds!

The Mighty Tractor of Justice will be there!

Exact Location TBA...

We have no need for "permission" yet will keep the exact location quiet for now.

We have a perfect location on Private Property, on a beautiful Farm.

We will be providing our own security and medics.
We will not be needing any "help" from local law enforcement, tyvm.

FREE ROGER!
Benefit for Roger the Magnificent!
http://freeroger.org/

https://www.facebook.com/events/350505528364448/?ref=ts

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 10:07 PM
AK is going to be there?

Cool.

Shem, do me a favor, PM me when the exact location is announced so I don't miss it.

I might be able to make this.

Don't like cop cars?

ROGER'S REVOLUTION! COME ONE COME ALL! Lets make a stand against the police state!
Public Event · By Roger Pion, the magnificent

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Orleans County, Vermont

MC Adam Kokesh
Music, rally, and like minds!

The Mighty Tractor of Justice will be there!

Exact Location TBA...

We have no need for "permission" yet will keep the exact location quiet for now.

We have a perfect location on Private Property, on a beautiful Farm.

We will be providing our own security and medics.
We will not be needing any "help" from local law enforcement, tyvm.

FREE ROGER!
Benefit for Roger the Magnificent!
http://freeroger.org/

https://www.facebook.com/events/350505528364448/?ref=ts

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 10:08 PM
That would give them an opportunity to do a little moonlighting during work.

Yeah, actually providing a service people want.

muzzled dogg
09-22-2012, 10:08 PM
i asked him on his fb wall and confirmed that he would be

i'll let you know soon as i find out

specsaregood
09-22-2012, 10:13 PM
They have Dodge Chargers around here.

Same around here.

kathy88
09-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Awesome! LOL. I wish it wasn't such a far drive. I'd LOVE to go to this.

nobody's_hero
09-23-2012, 06:39 AM
The next town over from where I live went to Chevy Imapalas. Even though Impalas aren't* terribly common around here, they still don't stand out like Crown Vics or Dodge Chargers.

But a Taurus?

My mother had a 1992 Ford Taurus and every time I turned around, the head-gasket blew. I wished she'd have stopped throwing money in it after the first time it went out.

presence
09-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Where is Roger Pion when you need him?

AFPVet
09-23-2012, 01:00 PM
My mother had a 1992 Ford Taurus and every time I turned around, the head-gasket blew. I wished she'd have stopped throwing money in it after the first time it went out.

That sucks. My family only drives Taurus models. The 89-95 model years were prone to thermostat problems and the occasional bad transaxle, but they've never had head gasket problems... it may have been one of those lemons that sometimes make it out of the factory. For the most part, the Taurus is very reliable... my family just bought a new one and are still driving the old '95 with over 200k miles on it. They never had any major problems with that one. When I was growing up, we had the '89 and the '95. They just bought a 2012 SEL and love it.