PDA

View Full Version : CA-Cops try to kill stray dog, but miss, dog comes back.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 11:38 AM
War on Dogs.

Hoopa dog shooting upsets teachers; tribal police: Animal was reported as a danger

Luke Ramseth/Times-Standardtimes-standard.com/

Created: 09/22/2012 02:09:40 AM PDT

http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_21607858/hoopa-dog-shooting-upsets-teachers-tribal-police-animal

The shooting of a dog by the Hoopa Valley Tribal Police has upset some staff and students at Hoopa Valley Elementary School.

The department said the dog was reported as a danger, and the intention was to kill it, but the dog escaped and ended up back at the school.

The dog -- named “Rex” -- was a friendly stray, and liked to play with kids at the school, said seventh grade teacher Karin Glinden.

”We all knew he was here,” she said. “He wasn't bothering anyone. He touched so many children's hearts.”

Hoopa Valley Tribal Police Lt. Ed Guyer said his department received reports of the dog chasing and biting children. When an officer attempted to lure the dog away from the school, it bit him, Guyer said.

Guyer said the officer -- who he declined to identify -- was instructed by Hoopa Police Chief Robert Kane to take the animal up the hill behind the police station and shoot it.

”He took it up the hill, shot it, but didn't hit it well enough,” Guyer said. “It wasn't used as target practice or anything. We were attempting to put it down.”

Guyer said the dog returned to Hoopa Valley Elementary School four or five days later. Glinden said she found the dog, and took it to Sunnybrae Animal Clinic in Arcata for treatment.

The dog had a bullet wound in the head and one in the pelvic region, according to an email from Sunnybrae Animal Clinic veterinarian Malcolm Richardson.

Glinden said she does not know who, if anyone, at the school called about Rex being a danger or biting someone because they did not come forward. Fourth grade teacher Heather Hobson agreed.

”I've been trying to bring attention to the situation,” Hobson said.

In a blog post, Hobson wrote that the dog could have been taken by the officer to “an animal rescue group on the reservation only about a mile from the school.” She also noted that many stray dogs live on the Hoopa reservation.

Glinden gave her seventh graders writing prompts to write about what they experienced with Rex.

”There is no way in the world the dog could be construed as vicious,” she said. “Everyone is shocked.”

A Humboldt County Sheriff's Office representative said the office was aware of the situation, but declined to comment.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
A Humboldt County Sheriff's Office representative said the office was aware of the situation, but declined to comment

Gee, I wonder why? "Sorry kids, we tried to kill the dog you all love to play with. But we are too inept and botched it, we'll try again soon."

tod evans
09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Stray cops?

Dr.3D
09-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Stray cops?
Yep, they need to keep them on a short leash.

youngbuck
09-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I am so sick of hearing about cops doing whatever the hell they want because of "reports" that they recieve. Guess what, I get daily "reports" (here and elsewhere) that cops are of significant threat to my life, well-being, and liberty, all the while I am law-abiding.

aGameOfThrones
09-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Yep, they need to keep them on a short leash.

And neuter

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Eunuch cops, an idea who's time has come?

Sola_Fide
09-22-2012, 04:40 PM
”He took it up the hill, shot it, but didn't hit it well enough,” Guyer said. “It wasn't used as target practice or anything. We were attempting to put it down.”

Why would he go out of his way to say this?

Philhelm
09-22-2012, 07:00 PM
At least the children actually learned something important at school that day...

RCA
09-22-2012, 10:01 PM
So, what the hell does animal control use taxpayer money for then?

fisharmor
09-22-2012, 10:54 PM
At least the children actually learned something important at school that day...

My thoughts exactly.
If this happened every year at every elementary school across the country, all the dead dogs would be worth it, because in 15 years there wouldn't be any cops to shoot them anymore.

KCIndy
09-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Guyer said the officer -- who he declined to identify -- was instructed by Hoopa Police Chief Robert Kane to take the animal up the hill behind the police station and shoot it.

Guyer said the dog returned to Hoopa Valley Elementary School four or five days later. Glinden said she found the dog, and took it to Sunnybrae Animal Clinic in Arcata for treatment.

The dog had a bullet wound in the head and one in the pelvic region, according to an email from Sunnybrae Animal Clinic veterinarian Malcolm Richardson.

AAAGGHH!!! GAAH!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Where to start??

1) When did it become the job of the police to judge an animal to be dangerous, and when did it become their job to kill neighborhood strays? What happened to Animal Control?

2) What sort of numbnuts, hack-handed idiot could possibly miss a point-blank shot like that??!? And cops are supposed to have firearms training? Jeez.

3) The police chief and the hack-handed cross-eyed idiot who tried to kill the dog should be required to pay the veterinarian bills, and it should come out of their own pay and resources.

Bah. :(