PDA

View Full Version : My lady tells me to call cops, I say NO

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 10:18 AM
We were up late last night having gone out for a little drinking and dancing, and we heard a commotion and some clanging out on the street. So we go out to see whats going on and there is a guy out there with no shirt and a baseball bat talking to a neighbor freind of ours. My first instinct is to go see what the hell is going on but something makes me pause.

I see the guy step away a couple of times and take a big swing with the bat. I decide that me and my lady going over there is just going to escalate whatever is going on and Brad (My neighbor) seems to be doing just fine and he is a very reasonable person. So since I decided to just sit on the porch and watch my better half freaks and goes to call the cops. I say NO and mean it. She says but what if that guy kills someone? I say I don't know if he is or not, but you can dam well be sure the cops will kill him if we call them. Well she can't believe what I'm saying but I insist, no cops.

After a few minutes the guy takes off down a side street, turns out somebody robbed him and he was out looking for the thief. I hope he got himself settled down and made it back home safe without using that bat. But I fail to see how calling the cops would have caused anything but harm.

nobody's_hero
09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Nah, you're wrong. They would have shown up and shot you for calling them. Then they would have shot the guy with the bat who was robbed.

If you have a pet, they would have gone after it first.

The order for a proper police response to stopping threats is:

Family Pet -----> 911 caller -------> innocent guy -------->paid vacation

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Nah, you're wrong. They would have shown up and shot you for calling them. Then they would have shot the guy with the bat who was robbed.

If you have a pet, they would have gone after it first.

The order for a proper police response to stopping threats is:

Family Pet -----> 911 caller -------> innocent guy -------->paid vacation

I stand corrected.

fisharmor
09-22-2012, 10:40 AM
turns out somebody robbed him and he was out looking for the thief.

Looks like he also knew the futility of calling the cops.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Great post. Police would have most likely escalated force, or at least caged/stolen from the man who had been robbed.

The man with the baseball bat appeared to be trying to protect his property.

Nothing to see here.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Looks like he also knew the futility of calling the cops.

Does anybody call the cops thinking they will get their property back? I suppose it happens once in a while.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I think you did the right thing.

I would have stepped in had there been some actual bodily harm being done.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 11:15 AM

I would definitely have jumped in if I thought Brad was in danger of getting clobbered. He's been a freind of mine for thirty some years now. I stayed away for the reason stated.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 11:19 AM
I would definitely have jumped in if I thought Brad was in danger of getting clobbered. He's been a freind of mine for thirty some years now. I stayed away for the reason stated.

You may very well have saved the victim's (the fellow with the ball bat who got robbed) life by holding back.

We could have been reading about another over the top police killing this morning.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Nice, cool head there.

Does anybody call the cops thinking they will get their property back? I suppose it happens once in a while.

I'd give them video footage under the right circumstances, but not much else. I'd also meet them at their station. Walk in, walk out, talk about it on the phone. I don't need them flying in my house, guns blazing.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 11:25 AM
You may very well have saved the victim's (the fellow with the ball bat who got robbed) life by holding back.

We could have been reading about another over the top police killing this morning.

That was exactly why I stayed away. If I would have went over there, my dearheart would have

A. called the cops, or

B. came over with me

I cringe saying this, but, bringing women into a potentially violent situation never seems to work out well.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 11:31 AM
That was exactly why I stayed away. If I would have went over there, my dearheart would have

A. called the cops, or

B. came over with me

I cringe saying this, but, bringing women into a potentially violent situation never seems to work out well.

It doesn't, and there is no reason to cringe.

If we, as men, can't at least try to keep women from being scarred by violence, then what the hell are we good for?

This is why my stomach turns at the these photos of mangled women "soldiers" with prosthetics that got their limbs blown off in some war torn country.

cjm
09-22-2012, 11:35 AM

If you have property insured against theft, the insurance company will probably want a police report before they pay. But getting it back? I doubt it.

Dr.3D
09-22-2012, 11:47 AM
If you have property insured against theft, the insurance company will probably want a police report before they pay. But getting it back? I doubt it.
Well, better wait till the next day to file a report and then before calling them, make sure your life insurance is paid up.

thequietkid10
09-22-2012, 02:26 PM
We were up late last night having gone out for a little drinking and dancing, and we heard a commotion and some clanging out on the street. So we go out to see whats going on and there is a guy out there with no shirt and a baseball bat talking to a neighbor freind of ours. My first instinct is to go see what the hell is going on but something makes me pause.

I see the guy step away a couple of times and take a big swing with the bat. I decide that me and my lady going over there is just going to escalate whatever is going on and Brad (My neighbor) seems to be doing just fine and he is a very reasonable person. So since I decided to just sit on the porch and watch my better half freaks and goes to call the cops. I say NO and mean it. She says but what if that guy kills someone? I say I don't know if he is or not, but you can dam well be sure the cops will kill him if we call them. Well she can't believe what I'm saying but I insist, no cops.

After a few minutes the guy takes off down a side street, turns out somebody robbed him and he was out looking for the thief. I hope he got himself settled down and made it back home safe without using that bat. But I fail to see how calling the cops would have caused anything but harm.

That's...wow. Sorry, just because you read a couple of articles online doesn't mean that calling the cops is the same as executing the guy. The vast majority of police don't kill something every time they are called to a situation.

What if Mr. Baseball bat was out of his mind and killed someone?

Indy Vidual
09-22-2012, 02:41 PM
...The vast majority of police don't kill something every time they are called to a situation....

RIP Sgt. Terrance Yeakey

http://i.imgur.com/qlQzM.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Iq0YC.jpg

presence
09-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Ya done right.

I've been in one of these situations where I resolved it with a loud "hey" from 250 ft away. It gave the violence something to yell at from a distance.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 02:57 PM
That's...wow. Sorry, just because you read a couple of articles online doesn't mean that calling the cops is the same as executing the guy. The vast majority of police don't kill something every time they are called to a situation.

Don't even try that with me, I'm sorry you have blinders on. The police have been militarized and in my opinion can no longer be trusted to handle any situation like this without resorting to lethal force.

Hell, even five years ago I was walking down the sidewalk with the aforementioned lady and a cop had someone pulled over and was leaning over the window when we walked by. We startled him so much he started pulling his gun out in response to us just walking down the sidewalk. We weren't even that close.

Has it gotten so bad that I'm more worried about police than a guy walking down the street with a bat? Yes it has.

It turns out it was a guy from about a block down that just had two brand new dishwashers stolen out of his place, not sure where he had them. So how would I feel if I had allowed her to call the cops and they did shoot him? As it was things got handled.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM

An apologist!!

I'll be damned...you rarely see them in the wild anymore.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 03:11 PM
An apologist!!

I'll be damned...you rarely see them in the wild anymore.

ROFLMAO!!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

acptulsa
09-22-2012, 03:18 PM

If he had tried, our friend would have gone out into the street and backed his neighbor up while his lady called the cops. Dude did not, however, go off. And neither did the cop--at least not on that street--because he wasn't there.

I happen to agree that the majority of cops don't kill something every chance they get. I do think, however, cops have either forgotten or have been officially trained out of the habit of defusing situations that could be defused. The neighbor did defuse the situation. The robbery victim you call Mr. Baseball Bat had a reason to be upset, didn't have a reason to be upset with the neighbor, did vent and didn't do any harm.

Two humans worked their way through a tense situation while two more oversaw the thing. That would be called civilization at work--and working well. Government wants us to believe they have to have a hand in every tense situation. But it has been my experience that very few tense situations are improved by police presence.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Tod Evans is rubbing off on me, I'm outta reps all over the place. :p

Danke
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM

And I would have filmed ya and posted it on YouTube.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Has it gotten so bad that I'm more worried about police than a guy walking down the street with a bat? Yes it has.

That's really the bottom line, right there. I'm not even "afraid to get involved" if I really think it is needed (like you said earlier), but I'm sure afraid of police showing up, pre involvement, during involvement, or post involvement.

MelissaWV
09-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Then I'm guessing he would have done it regardless of whether or not the cops arrived, and likely before they ever did so. Thankfully the OP was not in the house on his phone, from which he would have emerged only to see a bloody pile of neighbor and the guy with the baseball bat already gone.

You might want to consider what you are saying the OP should have called the police on.

Hey there's a guy with a baseball bat! And he might've been the one talking loudly!

That's against the law? Really? Enough to go dialing 9-1-1?

This is not to say you never call the cops (in my opinion), but sometimes you have to take a step back and analyze what you're looking at. If the man with the baseball bat had started hitting the neighbor with it, the most likely scenario to me would be that the OP would have gone over there to try to help out, and the girlfriend would have called the police. Both have dangers associated with them.

Origanalist
09-22-2012, 04:33 PM
And I would have filmed ya and posted it on YouTube.

With some really dramatic music...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WQd9kuXpUYU

Dam crows.

donnay
09-22-2012, 04:47 PM
The cops admit they are not responsible to protect people. I would rather deal with a drunkard who is angry then deal with a roid-head cop who is trigger happy, and who thinks he is above the law.

It's a shame that so many men are so sissified anymore. Fifty years ago if a fist fight ensued people would stand around and let the two duke it out. Today that will get you shot and/or arrested.

Henry Rogue
09-22-2012, 05:14 PM
You did the right thing. Never call the cops. Last winter my truck was broken into the kid stole a construction stapler not even out of the box yet, he could have taken much more valuable things, but they were well used and he probably didn't know what they were. the worst part is he smashed the cup holder/ashtray off my dash which will cost more than the stolen item and i miss it alot. I knew the cops would not do anything and I did not want to raise my insurance rates or that of my neighborhood which is'nt known for crime. I thought of a free market solution, putting a bounty out for the name and address, but did not. later i learned from a neighbor kid the kids name and that he had moved out of state. I guess i wasn't sure what to do once i found out who it was.

tod evans
09-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Outta rep great vid!

With some really dramatic music...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WQd9kuXpUYU

Dam crows.

AGRP
09-22-2012, 06:13 PM
You were wrong. The answer in situations like this is to quickly escalate the situation by brandishing weapons along with very loud sirens and bright flashing lights. Hopefully, at least one neighborhood dog would come out to do what they do and play defense before being used as target practice. The children would have then thanked the police officers for saving them from dodo duty.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-22-2012, 06:55 PM

The only reason anyone ever calls the police about stolen property is for insurance purposes. If you didn't need a police report to get your insurance money, no one would ever call them because everyone knows they're inept to the point where they have about a 0.000001% success rate of ever recovering your stolen property.

liberty2897
09-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Don't even try that with me, I'm sorry you have blinders on. The police have been militarized and in my opinion can no longer be trusted to handle any situation like this without resorting to lethal force.

You definitely did the right thing. Last year, someone in my GF's neighborhood called the cops on "suspicious behavior" and a guy got shot 24 times by 4 cops. I still wonder if that person who called them feels any remorse. Based on comments in the local papers, I doubt it. This guy was not wielding a bat or anything of the sort. Calling the cops is very likely a death sentence for somebody in this kind of situation.

Philhelm
09-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Back in 1985, when I was five years old, I had the complete set of Dinobot toys (Dinosaur Transformers). These older hooligans stole them from me, so my mom called the cops and I got all but the pterodactyl returned. So yes, it happens once in a while.

Feeding the Abscess
09-22-2012, 07:04 PM
For humorous purposes:

This is what the OP's thread title made me think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKOfz99jkfQ

liberty2897
09-22-2012, 07:36 PM
For humorous purposes
This is what the OP's thread title made me think of:
:

I like that video! So many ideas, but I only felt like typing a few bits.

...because the world above had become unfit for us.
On the surface the farmer tills the soil, training the strength of his arm for a home on lands of his own, but the parasites say NO! What was yours is ours. We are State! We are God! We demand our Share!

The parasite makes nothing for himself. His only tools are taxes and tithes meant to trick you into offering what he has not earned
Unable to provide for itself, the need of the parasite grows until war is made to justify...

Anti Federalist
09-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Back in 1985, when I was five years old, I had the complete set of Dinobot toys (Dinosaur Transformers). These older hooligans stole them from me, so my mom called the cops and I got all but the pterodactyl returned. So yes, it happens once in a while.

That was almost thirty years ago...

(As the sound of giant vault door slams shut)

KCIndy
09-23-2012, 01:33 AM

Unless it's a BIG loss, you're better off eating the cost of replacement than filing an insurance claim. Your insurance company will simply add insult to injury by hiking your premiums. :(

cindy25
09-23-2012, 04:12 AM
now when they come they kill your dog