PDA

View Full Version : Senate Votes to Continue Foreign Aid 81/10

radiofriendly
09-22-2012, 12:23 AM
After months of championing the issue of ending foreign aid, Sen. Rand Paul succeeded in his filibuster mission to bring his legislation to a vote. No surprise, the bill failed tonight by a vote of 81 to 10.

Senators voting in support of Rand Paul’s bill to limit foreign aid: DeMint, Grassley, Shelby, Paul, Toomey, Moran, Lee, Roberts, Risch and Crapo. The rest of the Senate voted to continue foreign aid to Libya, Egypt and Pakistan.

On the next vote, Senator Paul stood alone, 90-1, on a vote to increase pressure on Iran’s nuclear ambitions. Paul stated before the vote that, while he opposed Iran acquiring nuclear weapons, this bill would be a vote for preemptive war.

Sen. Paul’s bill, S. 3576, called for a prohibition of U.S. aid funds to the governments of Egypt, Libya and Pakistan contingent upon the release to U.S. authorities the aggressors who attacked our embassy and consulate in Egypt and Libya, respectively, and the release of Dr. Shakil Afridi, currently held by the Pakistani government.

Senator Paul predicted his bill would fail because the Senate is ignoring the will of Americans...

More and a poll: http://iroots.org/2012/09/22/us-senate-votes-to-continue-foreign-aid-to-libya-egypt-and-pakistan/

GunnyFreedom
09-22-2012, 12:39 AM
I don't know fellas, Rand is really coming on strong. I'm really liking what I am seeing here. Why are we giving aid to Egypt when they are breaking into our embassies and killing our ambassadors? And the deeper truth that our aid is moreover what is making them angry to begin with. And then stepping out on a hard limb on a lone dissent to denounce preemptive war? Some of my brothers need to give the man some respect right now. What just happened here is hard-core, and I know it from experience.

Bman
09-22-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't know fellas, Rand is really coming on strong. I'm really liking what I am seeing here. Why are we giving aid to Egypt when they are breaking into our embassies and killing our ambassadors? And the deeper truth that our aid is moreover what is making them angry to begin with. And then stepping out on a hard limb on a lone dissent to denounce preemptive war? Some of my brothers need to give the man some respect right now. What just happened here is hard-core, and I know it from experience.

I've been holding my breath considering Rand to be a chess player and not a sell out. Carefully watching what he has brought to the table and how he has voted, ignoring the rhetoric. So far I have little complaint from that perspective.

fr33
09-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Rand is great. It's time for us to point out what pieces of crap the other senators are. Let no Republican get away with criticizing "redistribution of wealth" while they support redistributing wealth to our overseas enemies. These people that continiue to arm Al Quaeda are traitors.

Let them know.

radiofriendly
09-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Does anyone know if Rubio was there?

Not Voting – 9
Boozman (R-AR)
Boxer (D-CA)
Burr (R-NC)
Heller (R-NV)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Kirk (R-IL)
Murray (D-WA)
Rubio (R-FL)
Vitter (R-LA)

Full voting details: http://iroots.org/2012/09/22/us-senate-votes-to-continue-foreign-aid-to-libya-egypt-and-pakistan/

AlexAmore
09-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Taking after his father with the 90-1 vote. I never doubted him....sadly I can't say the same for others :rolleyes:

July
09-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Only 10 votes, and 90-1 for more preemptive war...
Disgusting.

Rand did a fantastic job, really proud of him.

opal
09-22-2012, 06:01 AM

Not Voting – 9
Boozman (R-AR)
Boxer (D-CA)
Burr (R-NC)
Heller (R-NV)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Kirk (R-IL)
Murray (D-WA)
Rubio (R-FL)
Vitter (R-LA)

Full voting details: http://iroots.org/2012/09/22/us-senate-votes-to-continue-foreign-aid-to-libya-egypt-and-pakistan/

I don't know if he was there or not but I think I'll send a follow up email thanking him for not falling in line with the warmongers and siding against Paul the younger's bill

opal
09-22-2012, 06:01 AM
oopsie.. double post

BamaFanNKy
09-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Use this vote to attack the Senators up for election.

thatpeculiarcat
09-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Went ahead and wrote Senator Hutchinson and Cornhead, the Senators that "represent" me

"Dear Senator,

Like the subject of my message implies, it is indeed a sad day in the state of Texas.I'm struck with grief on your vote on S. 3576, calling for a prohibition of U.S. aid funds to the governments of Egypt, Libya and Pakistan. I am part of the 90% of the American people Senator Paul spoke of on Friday that is in strong opposition to giving money to countries that disrespect us so wholeheartedly.

I'm concerned at what motive you have that could possibly drive you to vote in opposition of sending money to countries that hate the United States. Apparently the content of Senator Paul's speech, concerning the wealth of the dictators and their families in foreign countries struck not even a chord with you. Millions of Americans are having their tax dollars fund the foreign car purchases of a dictator's son in Africa and you seem to be just fine with that. I respect noble humanitarian efforts, however I disapprove of the fact that so much of our dollars could go towards other things that they were not meant for.

I am not a fan of foreign aid, I do not like foreign aid, and I believe we should stop spending money we don't have, to kill people we don't know, for reasons we don't understand. Senator, I find it unfortunate that apparently you do not share the same sentiment. But even if one were to disagree, why not have simple, pro-American restrictions? For instance, law enforcement or military officers securing the embassy, or maybe even using the money for what we foolishly give these countries the money for in the first place?

Senator, The United States Government is not a charity and spending other people's money is not philanthropy."

specsaregood
09-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Not Voting – 9
Rubio (R-FL)

It looks like Rubio was around, he just hid like a coward from voting on the Iran and Foreign aid bills.
But he was there 30 minutes later to vote on other stuff:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00199
September 22, 2012, 12:58 AM

supermario21
09-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I think there were 8 not there considering they didn't vote on all the bills that night, but Rubio was too cowardish to cast a vote on anything controversial.

July
09-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I think there were 8 not there considering they didn't vote on all the bills that night, but Rubio was too cowardish to cast a vote on anything controversial.

Not surprised he wouldn't want it on his record, if he runs for president in 2016...

Spoa
09-22-2012, 09:56 AM
I sent a twitter note to each senator that voted with Senator Paul. While some people may not recognize this or argue that they should be doing the right thing, sometimes doing the right thing is not easy. I imagine that Senator Paul and the 9 others are getting a lot of heat from the leadership.

I will also be sending a note to my 2 Georgian senators expressing my grief for their vote against the bill. I will warn them that their careers are put at risk on this vote as I will be searching for primary challengers.

I encourage all to do the same: Thank those who voted yes, and send a warning (especially if they are your senators) to the ones who voted no.

(P.S. I find it funny that the Democrats who "claim" that they are against foreign intervention and argue that they are against foreign wars...ALL VOTED AGAINST THIS AMENDMENT...so much for the lie they like to tell.)

Cleaner44
09-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Went ahead and wrote Senator Hutchinson and Cornhead, the Senators that "represent" me

"Dear Senator,

Like the subject of my message implies, it is indeed a sad day in the state of Texas.I'm struck with grief on your vote on S. 3576, calling for a prohibition of U.S. aid funds to the governments of Egypt, Libya and Pakistan. I am part of the 90% of the American people Senator Paul spoke of on Friday that is in strong opposition to giving money to countries that disrespect us so wholeheartedly.

I'm concerned at what motive you have that could possibly drive you to vote in opposition of sending money to countries that hate the United States. Apparently the content of Senator Paul's speech, concerning the wealth of the dictators and their families in foreign countries struck not even a chord with you. Millions of Americans are having their tax dollars fund the foreign car purchases of a dictator's son in Africa and you seem to be just fine with that. I respect noble humanitarian efforts, however I disapprove of the fact that so much of our dollars could go towards other things that they were not meant for.

I am not a fan of foreign aid, I do not like foreign aid, and I believe we should stop spending money we don't have, to kill people we don't know, for reasons we don't understand. Senator, I find it unfortunate that apparently you do not share the same sentiment. But even if one were to disagree, why not have simple, pro-American restrictions? For instance, law enforcement or military officers securing the embassy, or maybe even using the money for what we foolishly give these countries the money for in the first place?

Senator, The United States Government is not a charity and spending other people's money is not philanthropy."

+rep

I suggest everyone contact our Senators and send a similar message. Their websites and contact forms are easy to use.

specsaregood
09-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Not surprised he wouldn't want it on his record, if he runs for president in 2016...

Then it is up to us to let everybody know he is a coward that is afraid to voice his position on the important issues of the day. Why would you want that person as president?

Rubio, it appears you were present at 1am to cast votes in the senate but weren't present at 12:00am. What was more important at 12:00am on a saturday than casting your votes on redistribution of wealth?

GeorgiaAvenger
09-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Today's Vote On Foreign Aid
By Marco Rubio

In every region of the world, the United States should search for ways to use foreign aid and humanitarian assistance to strengthen our influence, the effectiveness of our leadership, and the service of our national interests and ideals. When done effectively, in partnership with the private sector, with faith-based organizations, and our allies, foreign aid is a cost-effective way, not only to export our values and our example, but to advance our security and economic goals.

Foreign aid is a foreign policy tool used by the United States to work with other countries. In the case of Libya, Egypt and Pakistan, each receives significant amounts of foreign aid from the U.S. taxpayers, and U.S. citizens expect these countries to meet the conditions we set upon this aid. In the wake of the uprisings across the Muslim world, and the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya, it is imperative that the U.S. receive the full cooperation of the host nations in investigating and prosecuting those responsible for the attacks on our diplomatic missions and the deaths of four brave Americans.

Senator Rand Paul’s legislation would affect aid for these countries by effectively eliminating it. The American people deserve to be outraged following these attacks. However, the situations in these three countries are very different. In Egypt, the government has the security capabilities to protect our embassy and failed to do so. It was unacceptable that their president didn’t immediately condemn the attacks and instead focused on a YouTube video.

In Libya, there was a terrorist attack on our consulate which resulted in the death of four Americans, including the ambassador. The Libyan people rejected Islamists in their recent election, but their pro-Western Libyan government does not have the security capabilities of the Egyptians. So far, the Libyans are trying to do the right thing by working with the U.S. to investigate these attacks and strengthen their own security capabilities. In fact, just yesterday thousands of Libyans fed up with terrorism took matters into their own hands by seizing control of the headquarters of several militias and demanding they be disarmed. Cutting off aid to Libya, who is trying to help us, is not the answer as it would weaken their ability to help us and undermine their efforts to defeat the terrorists in their country. It would also represent America's stunning rejection of what is clearly the Libyan people's will to reject extremists and terrorists trying to lead Libya back to darkness.

With Pakistan, I believe we should condition some if not all of the aid on the release of Dr. Afridi. He has been arrested on false charges. The time has finally come for Pakistan to decide if they are going to be a truthful ally of the U.S.

Sen. Paul’s legislation lumps in three different countries with three very different situations and I could not support such a measure as drafted. Prior to the vote on this matter I urged Senator Paul to consider, at a minimum, restructuring his amendment to recognize that there are considerable differences between Libya, Egypt and Pakistan. Since no changes were ultimately made, I opposed this measure.

http://www.facebook.com/MarcoRubio/posts/10151158214857708

Spoa
09-22-2012, 11:23 AM
By Marco Rubio

Disagree with the Senator, but at least he has the courtesy to explain his vote. At least he agrees that we should somewhat end aid to Pakistan. My two senators (Chambliss and Isakson) didn't even bother to explain their votes. I sent them a message expressing my disappointment.

realtonygoodwin
09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
By Marco Rubio

In every region of the world, the United States should search for ways to use foreign aid and humanitarian assistance to strengthen our influence, the effectiveness of our leadership, and the service of our national interests and ideals. When done effectively, in partnership with the private sector, with faith-based organizations, and our allies, foreign aid is a cost-effective way, not only to export our values and our example, but to advance our security and economic goals.

Foreign aid is a foreign policy tool used by the United States to work with other countries. In the case of Libya, Egypt and Pakistan, each receives significant amounts of foreign aid from the U.S. taxpayers, and U.S. citizens expect these countries to meet the conditions we set upon this aid. In the wake of the uprisings across the Muslim world, and the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya, it is imperative that the U.S. receive the full cooperation of the host nations in investigating and prosecuting those responsible for the attacks on our diplomatic missions and the deaths of four brave Americans.

Senator Rand Paul’s legislation would affect aid for these countries by effectively eliminating it. The American people deserve to be outraged following these attacks. However, the situations in these three countries are very different. In Egypt, the government has the security capabilities to protect our embassy and failed to do so. It was unacceptable that their president didn’t immediately condemn the attacks and instead focused on a YouTube video.

In Libya, there was a terrorist attack on our consulate which resulted in the death of four Americans, including the ambassador. The Libyan people rejected Islamists in their recent election, but their pro-Western Libyan government does not have the security capabilities of the Egyptians. So far, the Libyans are trying to do the right thing by working with the U.S. to investigate these attacks and strengthen their own security capabilities. In fact, just yesterday thousands of Libyans fed up with terrorism took matters into their own hands by seizing control of the headquarters of several militias and demanding they be disarmed. Cutting off aid to Libya, who is trying to help us, is not the answer as it would weaken their ability to help us and undermine their efforts to defeat the terrorists in their country. It would also represent America's stunning rejection of what is clearly the Libyan people's will to reject extremists and terrorists trying to lead Libya back to darkness.

With Pakistan, I believe we should condition some if not all of the aid on the release of Dr. Afridi. He has been arrested on false charges. The time has finally come for Pakistan to decide if they are going to be a truthful ally of the U.S.

Sen. Paul’s legislation lumps in three different countries with three very different situations and I could not support such a measure as drafted. Prior to the vote on this matter I urged Senator Paul to consider, at a minimum, restructuring his amendment to recognize that there are considerable differences between Libya, Egypt and Pakistan. Since no changes were ultimately made, I opposed this measure.

I was going to post this.

While I don't agree with the Senator, it looks like he has real reasons for not voting for the bill. Good on him for explaining himself.

July
09-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I think Rubio's argument was the reasoning Rand was addressing when he talked about the Arab spring turning into the Arab winter, and how something with a positive element at first eventually turns over time, and it's a cycle that keeps repeating.
I applaud Rubio for explaining his reasoning, though, I still think he should have taken the time to vote "no" if he opposed the measure...This explanation sounds as if he doesn't completely oppose it, though.

Carehn
09-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Both my senators voted to end aid!!! Maybe we are having some kind of effect in Idaho.

AuH20
09-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Rand is great. It's time for us to point out what pieces of crap the other senators are. Let no Republican get away with criticizing "redistribution of wealth" while they support redistributing wealth to our overseas enemies. These people that continiue to arm Al Quaeda are traitors.

Let them know.

The senate needs to be cleaned out throughly. The House is gradually changing for the better, but the Senate is just hopeless.

kathy88
09-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Golden opportunity to call him on it. Barage the office with calls asking why he voted for everything else that went up for vote that day.

FSP-Rebel
09-24-2012, 11:18 AM
QFT