PDA

View Full Version : A big new idea, practical to implement, that I've been thinking about for a while...

economics102
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Some of you may remember in 2004 there were some "vote pairing" sites. The idea was, for instance, a Kerry supporter in a safely red or blue state would pair up with a Nader supporter in a non-safe/swing state, and they would make a gentleman's agreement to have the Kerry supporter vote for Nader and vice versa. This was seen as mutually beneficial as it increased Nader's national popular vote total while not hurting Kerry's chances of beating Bush.

Well I have a related but different idea, that is perhaps the most likely way to boost the third parties in 2012.

What if you identify two voters in the same state, one of whom intends to vote for Obama, the other for Romney. You get them to agree on just one thing: that they will both vote for a third party. Any third party. Or even just not vote at all.

This would add +2 votes to the third party candidates, while having zero impact on the outcome of the presidential race, and taking -2 away from the Democrat/Republican voter base. The net change per agreement would be 4 votes toward third parties (since you're adding 2 to third parties and taking 2 away from the major parties).

This could quickly boost the percentage totals for third parties, and the only mutual interest that's required among the two paired participants is an interest in seeing third parties gain a louder voice. Virtually every American is in favor of that. Every American wants to see more candidates in the presidential debates.

For those who raise skepticism about the legality of this, my understanding is this was hashed out in the courts in 2004 and eventually determined to be legal. The key is that there is no money involved, no contract, nothing but two individual making a non-binding, verbal gentleman's agreement.

Typically the way it works is two people exchange email addresses and phone numbers. They have a conversation on the phone, talk a little politics, get a feel for each other and if/when they're both confident the other person truly intends to follow through, they agree to do this.

I personally know people who participated in the 2004 vote swapping concept and they all felt that trust was not an issue because they actually spoke to their vote partners on the phone at length and felt comfortable with it.

Further on the subject of trust: this system can also be implemented by people amongst themselves at a social network level. So if you have two friends or family members intending to vote for Obama/Romney, they may be willing to trust each other to honor an agreement, whereas they might not trust a random stranger.

Of course, in my version of the system it's even more non-controversial because they are also not really "trading votes" since neither party is agreeing to vote FOR someone, only agreeing to NOT vote for one of the several candidates on the ballot.

Of course, none of the people on this forum would be eligible to participate, because most of us are already planning to not vote for Obama or Romney. So we would be acting in bad faith if we participated. However, this is a perfect system to persuade others who intend to vote for a major party.

The only problem I foresee with this system is, obviously, if it's too successful, then at some tipping there is a potential that a third party could win, and that could result in strange things. A person who votes for Johnson instead of Romney might be a little upset if the net result of it all is that Jill Stein wins :)

Your thoughts, RPF?

dbill27
09-20-2012, 02:04 PM
kind of a cool idea. Not sure how practical it would be in application though. How would a romney voter trust and obama voter and vice versa. If it became popular supporters of romney and obama would lie and try to trick people from the other side.

economics102
09-20-2012, 02:09 PM
kind of a cool idea. Not sure how practical it would be in application though. How would a romney voter trust and obama voter and vice versa. If it became popular supporters of romney and obama would lie and try to trick people from the other side.

I just added another paragraph to my original post that addresses this:

"Further on the subject of trust: this system can also be implemented by people amongst themselves at a social network level. So if you have two friends or family members intending to vote for Obama/Romney, they may be willing to trust each other to honor an agreement, whereas they might not trust a random stranger."

economics102
09-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Really? No interest in this?

What could be a simpler way to increase third-party votes than grabbing two of your friends or family members and saying, "hey, if you both vote for a third party, it'll increase the third party vote by 4 and not change the election outcome"?

opal
09-22-2012, 03:06 PM
<--- doesn't know anyone planning on voting directly for Obama

wait.. I take that back.. my MIL is, but would Never vote for a non democrat

CPUd
09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
What if you identify two voters in the same state, one of whom intends to vote for Obama, the other for Romney. You get them to agree on just one thing: that they will both vote for a third party. Any third party. Or even just not vote at all.

I'm not seeing how this is mutually beneficial to either of the voters. What is the difference between this and simply campaigning for the third party?

parocks
09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Really? No interest in this?

What could be a simpler way to increase third-party votes than grabbing two of your friends or family members and saying, "hey, if you both vote for a third party, it'll increase the third party vote by 4 and not change the election outcome"?

It may very well be that increasing the number of 3rd party votes isn't something those people care about.

economics102
09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm not seeing how this is mutually beneficial to either of the voters. What is the difference between this and simply campaigning for the third party?

The benefit is that what I've outlined is a mechanism for voters who think it's important to vote for the lesser of two evils but either would prefer a third party or simply think it's a good idea to increase political competition to the two major parties and see a third party candidate in a debate. This mechanism overcomes the most common objection mainstream voters have to voting third party, because it eliminates the risk of a spoiler effect.

Smart3
09-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Since I live in California, my vote doesn't matter anyways, and I'm trying to convince Romney supporters to vote their values (Johnson or Hoefling) rather than for Romney.

FrankRep
09-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Right now Romney vs. Obama margin is very close. I highly doubt very many people will take a chance of the other side winning.

economics102
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Since I live in California, my vote doesn't matter anyways, and I'm trying to convince Romney supporters to vote their values (Johnson or Hoefling) rather than for Romney.

The percentage of voters who are both interested in and willing to vote third party at the risk of affecting the election outcome is very small, approximately 6% of voters. (based on recent polls)

The percentage of voters who are interested in helping third parties gain a louder voice, when there is no risk of affecting the election, is very large, likely a majority or supermajority of the populace. It technically could be as high as 94%.

This is the rationale behind the strategy I outlined. It's a strategy that can appeal to ALL mainstream voters. Even if you can convince 1% of mainstream voters to try this out, you'd be shifting the national vote by 4%.