PDA

View Full Version : Nestle's GPS Tracking Candy Campaign

DamianTV
09-20-2012, 03:55 AM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/20/0335225/nestles-gps-tracking-candy-campaign

"In a cool yet creepy marketing campaign, Nestle plans to stalk UK consumers. The company kicked off a unique promotion called 'We will find you' that involves GPS trackers embedded in chocolate bars. When a winning consumer opens the wrapper, it activates and notifies the prize team who promises to track them down within 24 hours to deliver a check for £10,000. A Nestle spokesman added that 'inside their wrappers, the GPS-enabled bars looked just like normal chocolate bars.'"

Oh contrare, there is nothing cool about being tracked without your permission.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-20-2012, 04:26 AM

Unless you're getting a $16,175 prize check.

libertyjam
09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/20/0335225/nestles-gps-tracking-candy-campaign

I can see a Tarantino style film that can be made out of this

John of Des Moines
09-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Send a box load to soldiers and sailors.

FindLiberty
09-20-2012, 05:33 AM
...can you eat it, or does it also contain a dangerous lithium battery must be removed before consuming?

Kilrain
09-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Opens winning choclate bar, takes a bite, breaks teeth on GPS device, sues Nestle for a heck more than 10,000 pounds.

acptulsa
09-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Lovely. A chocolate bars that causes you to need a laxative to get rid of it as quickly as possible so you can stop transmitting.

I've boycotted Nestles before. Think I'll just do it again. Anyone care to join me?

specsaregood
09-20-2012, 06:50 AM
I've boycotted Nestles before. Think I'll just do it again. Anyone care to join me?

So, on halloween if somebody decides to give us a nestle we should deem it a "trick" and leave them a flaming bag of poo?

phill4paul
09-20-2012, 06:53 AM
There are other reasons why I don't eat Nestle chocolate...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?195159-Who-eats-Hershey-s-and-or-Nestle-s-Chocolate/page2&highlight=Nestle

OK here goes.

There are basically two ways you can buy cocoa beans in Africa. Either you can buy them directly from the farmer, or you can buy them from a market in a kind of "mix trough" where the beans from hundreds of plantations are dumped into the same bucket.

It is a lot easier to purchase from the market, because you don't have to track down the plantations. "Single-Source" cocoa is more expensive because nobody (but the "mix tough" markets) will buy from certain plantations who sell at half the price of single sourcers.

"Mix tough" cocoa is about 15% cheaper in the Ivory Coast. than mix trough cocoa in other nations that regulate production methods, an 20% cheaper than single source cocoa.

The vast majority of mix trough cocoa in the Ivory Coast comes from a black market slave trade.

Slave marketeers kidnap children aged between from 8 years old to 15 years old all over the African continent and sell them to cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast for between $40 and $80 each. These plantations then work those children literally to death, providing them only enough food and water to make their average survival rate 6 months to a year at most. Why spend $150 to feed a child for a year when you can spend half that on a new slave when the old one dies?

Hershey's and Nestle's purchase their cocoa almost exclusively from mix trough markets in the Ivory Coast, because it runs 10% to 20% cheaper than markets in other nations where such practices are banned and the bans are enforced. Cheaper wholly on account of the fact that 75% to 80% of the cocoa found in these markets are produced from the child kidnapping slavery and death practices mentioned above.

All Hershey's and Nestle's would have to do is to purchase their cocoa from South America, or a different nation in Africa, pay maybe 15%-20% more, and the slavery plantations would go extinct from the lack of a market. Even in the Ivory Coast there are single-source plantations that do not use such practices that would cost 10% to 15% more than current.

When you confront Hershey's and Nestle's about this they both say the same thing word for word: "We have no control over the practices of our vendors."

Nevermind that they can just go 100 miles down the coast and purchase cocoa beans that were NOT produced this way...

I have been on this issue for almost 10 years now. I suppose it was one of the things I put on "hold" when campaigning for Ron Paul, but y'all deserve to know.

if you eat Hershey's or Nestle's, then some 80% of the cocoa that goes to make them is produced by kidnapped child slave labor where the children are literally and intentionally worked to death so that the plantation owners don't have to pay for food. And all to save what amounts to 20% of the price of cocoa...or 5% yes 5% of the total cost of the finished product.

5 cents on the dollar they save YOU, the consumer, in exchange for killing tens of thousands of kidnapped children. every year.

My biggest problem is that maybe half the people I have explained this to, who actually do the research to verify what I said is true, would still rather buy the Hershey's and the Nestle's when all you have to do it get an expensive chocolate like Ghiardellis and you don't contribute to this practice.

Yes, I have been on a crusade about "Blood Chocolate" for almost a decade now. Although this may be the first time I have raised cain about it since giving myself over to the Ron Paul effort.

acptulsa
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
There are other reasons why I don't eat Nestle chocolate...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?195159-Who-eats-Hershey-s-and-or-Nestle-s-Chocolate/page2&highlight=Nestle

That's a damned good reason.

By the way, Hershey's now owns Reese's and M&M/Mars (maker of Snickers, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, and several others).

UtahApocalypse
09-20-2012, 07:53 AM
When a winning consumer opens the wrapper, it activates and notifies the prize team who promises to track them down within 24 hours to deliver a check for £10,000. A Nestle spokesman added that 'inside their wrappers, the GPS-enabled bars looked just like normal chocolate bars.'"

So is it in the wrapper? in the chocolate bar? is there ANY indication that you have the winning one? If I finish the bar im throwing out the wrapper, they going to track down a garbage truck lol

acptulsa
09-20-2012, 07:58 AM
So is it in the wrapper? in the chocolate bar? is there ANY indication that you have the winning one? If I finish the bar im throwing out the wrapper, they going to track down a garbage truck lol

And if it's not in the wrapper, it's in the chocolate. And that's hardly a laughing matter.

Who dreams this crap up? How can no one at Nestle's figure out that a significant portion of the population will find this stuff scary as hell?

Yieu
09-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Seems like a method to acclimate a population to the idea of ingesting tiny GPS devices in their food and being tracked about their day.

DamianTV
09-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Unless you're getting a $16,175 prize check.

So what happens when the technology becomes so cheap that it is embedded in every single thing that you buy, ever? When you buy a coke, coke is now allowed to monitor every place you go with the coke you purchased? You wont win any prizes once they all start tracking you in this way. RFID is bad enough. Facial Recognition Technology is even more perverse and invasive. But the worst thing about every type of technology is when people openly accept it at face value and ostracize anyone who expects any measure of privacy from others.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2012, 05:32 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27087845.jpg

phill4paul
09-20-2012, 06:01 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27087845.jpg

+rep.

MelissaWV
09-20-2012, 06:02 PM
1. Buy up many, many candy bars.
2. Send them with someone going on a trip to the Arctic or an island or underwater hotel or mountain climbing.
3. Open all the candy.
4. It's all fun and games until Big Brother gets killed trying to deliver the crappy prize money. No wait... I guess that's still technically fun and games.

coastie
09-20-2012, 06:32 PM
That's a damned good reason.

By the way, Hershey's now owns Reese's and M&M/Mars (maker of Snickers, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, and several others).

FUCK!, not Reese's, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Zippyjuan
09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
It is unclear but sounds like the winning bar is not really chocolate

"Inside six lucky packs, there will be a GPS enabled bar which, when the winner pulls the tab, notifies the prize team who will leap into action locating the winner within 24 hours." A Nestle spokesman added that "inside their wrappers, the GPS-enabled bars looked just like normal chocolate bars."
Sounds like it may be plastic or something with a "pull me" tab on it to activate the GPS device. You can't tell by the wrapper (can you tell by feel?) if it is a chocloate bar or not.

Yieu
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM

I suppose that is possible with the wording. I was thinking they were going to use something like this: http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/edible-rfid-tag.php

Anti Federalist
09-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Sounds like it may be plastic or something with a "pull me" tab on it to activate the GPS device. You can't tell by the wrapper (can you tell by feel?) if it is a chocloate bar or not.

As the poor bastard that packs this piece of shit in his luggage gets thugscrummed by TSA.

Zippyjuan
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I suppose that is possible with the wording. I was thinking they were going to use something like this: http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/edible-rfid-tag.php

I would think it would be done in some sort of way so that it could not be accidentally swallowed.

Zippyjuan
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
As the poor bastard that packs this piece of shit in his luggage gets thugscrummed by TSA.

That would ruin your holiday!

DamianTV
09-20-2012, 09:33 PM

I'll betcha a lot of people that know about it start trying to break every candy bar in the wrapper to see if any of them dont break.

Carson
09-20-2012, 09:37 PM
No matter where your "Free Candy" van is parked.

paulbot24
09-20-2012, 10:16 PM
GPS enabled candy at the grocery store. You know there's a bunch of loss-prevention bozos that are all excited about this. It's amazing how these ideas are always introduced as so cute and fun, with kids and puppies until you get tyranny jackbooted later as they perfected the gimmick right in front of you.

moostraks
09-21-2012, 09:18 AM
GPS enabled candy at the grocery store. You know there's a bunch of loss-prevention bozos that are all excited about this. It's amazing how these ideas are always introduced as so cute and fun, with kids and puppies until you get tyranny jackbooted later as they perfected the gimmick right in front of you.

conspiracy theorist:p All kidding aside you are absolutely correct about this and any argument will be dismissed with disparaging comments about your mental stability.