PDA

View Full Version : IL-Cop shows up at wrong house over ladder burglary. Shoots leashed family dog at door.

Anti Federalist
09-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Oh hell...I don't even know what to say anymore.

Fucking War on Us.

Eldorado Man Accuses Police of Killing Dog

http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/Eldorado-Man-Accuses-Police-of-Killing-Dog-170392616.html

http://media.wsiltv.com/images/smokey13.jpg

By Kristin Crowley - News 3
By Ben Jeffords
Story Created: Sep 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM CDT

(Story Updated: Sep 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM CDT )
ELDORADO -- An Eldorado man is demanding justice after he says a police officer shot and killed his dog.

The Eldorado Police Department won't comment on the incident because it is under investigation. The dog's owner, Jason Robershaw, says the shooting was a gross error of judgement by an officer, and he wants to make sure his dogs death doesn't get swept under the rug.

"He was my best friend, so I just don't want this to go away quietly," said Robershaw.

Robershaw's six-year-old German Shepherd, Smokey, was more than a dog, he was a member of the family.

"I just sat here and watched my dog die," said Robershaw.

The 27-year-old said it all happened in a matter of seconds. On Sunday evening, Robershaw said he and his fiancée were eating dinner, when they heard a knock at the back door. That's when they say they heard a bark, a gunshot, then silence.

"Immediately when I opened the door I saw my dog lying there about eighteen inches from the end of his chain. He was just shaking, and his tongue was hanging out and blood was coming out," said Robershaw.

Robershaw said an Eldorado officer told him he feared for his life. He claimed the dog came at him and attacked him when he knocked on the door. Robershaw says his dog was not dangerous, and he believes the officer made a poor decision out of panic.

"The officer had no right to come on my private property and shoot my dog, which was on a leash. The dog was doing what it's supposed to do. It is the protector of this house," said Robershaw.

To make matters worse, Robershaw said it all could have been avoided.

"He was at the wrong house, he was here to investigate a stolen ladder," said Robershaw. Robershaw says that the house the officer wanted was actually one block away.

"I can't say exactly what happened in the two to three seconds that it took for me to get to the door, but all I know is within that two to three seconds my dog was laying on the ground. It's something I'm going to remember for the rest of my life," said Robershaw.

News 3 filed a freedom of information request for a copy of the police report. Police Chief Shannon Deuel says it should be ready for release on Monday. The officer at the center of the investigation remains on active duty. Chief Deuel says the officer has worked at the department just short of one year.

muh_roads
09-19-2012, 10:21 PM
War on dogs.

sailingaway
09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
He thought the dog was going to garrote him with the leash, clearly.

Feared for his life.

There's an example of police to make you feel safe.

acptulsa
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
You know, these stories have something else in common besides poor judgement, animal cruelty and general chickenshittiness. Not only are cops generally lousy drivers, they can't read a damned house number. Furthermore, their dispatchers also seem to be selected for just about any reason other than knowledge of the city they work in.

aGameOfThrones
09-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey, hey, hey, Just because he acted properly or improperly in the past doesn't mean this act is proper or improper. He was at the wrong home for a valid purpose. Unfortunately, things happen. It is what it is.

Anti Federalist
09-19-2012, 10:32 PM
You know, these stories have something else in common besides poor judgement, animal cruelty and general chickenshittiness. Not only are cops generally lousy drivers, they can't read a damned house number. Furthermore, their dispatchers also seem to be selected for just about any reason other than knowledge of the city they work in.

Well, sure, all of that.

But when Dominoes gets it wrong, you get a cold pizza.

When cops do it, since they have an aura of superiority that transcends any common mistakes or Mundane's concerns, people or pets or property gets blown away.

Keep these criminal lunatics away from your home and family at all costs.

acptulsa
09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
It is what it is.

Indeed it is. The terms reckless disregard and gross incompetence come to mind.

And when cops get it wrong, you get a cold, stiff dog. Or a cold, stiff relative.

aGameOfThrones
09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Indeed it is. The terms reckless disregard and gross incompetence come to mind.

And when cops get it wrong, you get a cold, stiff dog. Or a cold, stiff relative.

It's not like he went to that house to purposely kill that leashed-up dog. Hey, if they Don't want to have negative contacts with the cops, don't live in the war zones of America. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?381476-Inside-the-mind-of-a-SWAT-cop.)

Anti Federalist
09-19-2012, 10:50 PM
It's not like he went to that house to purposely kill that leashed-up dog. Hey, if they Don't want to have negative contacts with the cops, don't live in the war zones of America. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?381476-Inside-the-mind-of-a-SWAT-cop.)

I had forgotten that.

Thanks for re-posting.

Philhelm
09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Hey, hey, hey, Just because he acted properly or improperly in the past doesn't mean this act is proper or improper. He was at the wrong home for a valid purpose. Unfortunately, things happen. It is what it is.

Things like this happen. Go back in your house.

kathy88
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
18 inches from the END of his chain. That dog didn't do shit to that cop. Lying fucktard.

These stories are increasing in brazenness and frequency. So, RPFers. Let's brainstorm. What can we, collectively do about this?

PaulConventionWV
09-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I had forgotten that.

Thanks for re-posting.

Is there a reason cops keep going to the wrong address? Nobody else is THAT incompetent, why do they always do it? Is there some kind of hidden agenda of terrorizing random people and then saying it was a mistake? I just can't fathom that all these stories are really just accidents because you would have to be really stupid to miss houses as much as the cops do.

jclay2
09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Can you imagine the kind of jail time you would get if you walked on to someone's private property and shot a dog with your concealed carry? But oh no, the cops are the faithful and humble servants of the people.

Pericles
09-20-2012, 09:58 AM
And if the people who are capable of these outrages think that that's all you're going to do, they will continue to commit these outrages.
Caspar Weinberger (http://www.icelebz.com/quotes/caspar_weinberger)

PaulConventionWV
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Can you imagine the kind of jail time you would get if you walked on to someone's private property and shot a dog with your concealed carry? But oh no, the cops are the faithful and humble servants of the people.

But I'm sure they would let you go if you feared for your life, right?

tod evans
09-20-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

presence
09-21-2012, 09:08 AM
18 inches from the END of his chain. That dog didn't do shit to that cop. Lying fucktard.

These stories are increasing in brazenness and frequency. So, RPFers. Let's brainstorm.

What can we, collectively do about this?

Brainstorming Soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO8uUBZMey8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0LtglxWmj0

presence
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

New emoticon! Sweet.

Philhelm
09-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Is there a reason cops keep going to the wrong address? Nobody else is THAT incompetent, why do they always do it? Is there some kind of hidden agenda of terrorizing random people and then saying it was a mistake? I just can't fathom that all these stories are really just accidents because you would have to be really stupid to miss houses as much as the cops do.

Lack of accountability. In normal jobs, people would stress over whether everything was just right. When cops have no accountability, their nagging voice about double-checking everything goes out the window. These things happen.

Brian4Liberty
09-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Gross incompetence. If he worked at McDonald's, he would get fired.

presence
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Why are there no stories about meter readers, post men, and pizza delivery people shooting dogs?

JK/SEA
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
one of these days.....this crap will reach critical mass. Big thanks to AF for at least taking the lead in here for posting these stories, and my hope is that someday in the near future Cops all across this country will start feeling the wrath from millions of dog lovers. My question is, why isn't PETA or the Humane Society not getting involved....seems an advertising campaign by animal rights groups would or could be effective in shining a brighter light on this crap, and forcing the issue into the MSM....

don't mind me...i'm just mumbling to myself at this point, and keeping a lid on my anger....perhaps in my wanderings, i'll talk to some people i know involved in animal rights, and run this by them. Some of these people are liberals, but have money to spend on animal issues......i'll put this issue near the top of my 'list' and see what happens. Could we get others to seek out these people?....we really need to make a BIGGER stink about this.....damn....

i could't imagine what i would do if some cop shot my Katie or Acey......more than likely i'd be shot as well...

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM

These stories are increasing in brazenness and frequency. So, RPFers. Let's brainstorm. What can we, collectively do about this?

Arm dogs.

fisharmor
09-21-2012, 10:34 AM

When Dominoes does it, you get your money back.

Anti Federalist
09-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Why are there no stories about meter readers, post men, and pizza delivery people shooting dogs?

Because if they did it, they would go to jail.

jay_dub
09-21-2012, 11:17 AM

This issue really pisses me off. I've seen AF post too many of these stories.

There's a website devoted just to this issue. Maybe some of these stories should be cross posted there.

http://dogmurders.wordpress.com/

The problem with this is that it's always a different PD doing the killing so you can't just go after one culprit.

Maybe we could just try and make more people aware of this. These are the kinds of stories that you don't hear about unless it happens in your home town.

Here's a small suggestion. Maybe AF could compile all these incidents onto one thread. We could then have something to refer people to. I'm a member of a dog forum and, while getting political is against the forum rules, something could be posted as an animal welfare issue. This could be done at many dog forums (most every breed has a forum) and we could raise awareness.

Also, if there was a compiled list to link to, I would write a letter to the editor at my local paper. Everyone could do this.

How about it, AF? if you could gang up all these report into one thread, I promise to make a little noise. If everybody else makes a little noise, we could collectively make a LOT of noise.

Anti Federalist
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
This issue really pisses me off. I've seen AF post too many of these stories.

There's a website devoted just to this issue. Maybe some of these stories should be cross posted there.

http://dogmurders.wordpress.com/

The problem with this is that it's always a different PD doing the killing so you can't just go after one culprit.

Maybe we could just try and make more people aware of this. These are the kinds of stories that you don't hear about unless it happens in your home town.

Here's a small suggestion. Maybe AF could compile all these incidents onto one thread. We could then have something to refer people to. I'm a member of a dog forum and, while getting political is against the forum rules, something could be posted as an animal welfare issue. This could be done at many dog forums (most every breed has a forum) and we could raise awareness.

Also, if there was a compiled list to link to, I would write a letter to the editor at my local paper. Everyone could do this.

How about it, AF? if you could gang up all these report into one thread, I promise to make a little noise. If everybody else makes a little noise, we could collectively make a LOT of noise.

Let me see what a search comes up with.

Dr.3D
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
He probably went to the correct address first and then when he didn't find a dog to shoot, decided to go to the wrong address so he could shoot a dog. Now all he had to say was, "opps, wrong address."

Dr.3D
09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Arm dogs.
Arm the dog owners!

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Arm the dog owners!

The dog owners haven't been doing a very good job defending their dogs lately. At least the dogs will mostly be willing to defend themselves. And maybe when they can shoot back those dogicidal maniacs will think twice about hopping over a fence to look for dogs to shoot.

Dr.3D
09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
The dog owners haven't been doing a very good job defending their dogs lately. At least the dogs will mostly be willing to defend themselves. And maybe when they can shoot back those dogicidal maniacs will think twice about hopping over a fence to look for dogs to shoot.
I have to wonder how many of those dog owners were packing when they found a thug with a gun standing in their backyard next to their dead dog.

Edit:
And what in the world was the cop doing at the back door? Seems like he would have been knocking at the front door if he was there to investigate anything.

jay_dub
09-21-2012, 12:18 PM
There have been 2 separate incidents of cops killing dogs in my town. Both dogs were chained up.

http://www.examiner.com/article/police-shoot-chained-pit-bull

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=14300415

An online petition was started up and got over 1,000 signatures. I don't know if this has had any effect with police training, but there hasn't been another case since these 2. I'll try to find out if it had any direct effect.

Here's the petition (now closed):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just signed the following petition addressed to: Chief of Police of Gulfport Mississippi - Alan Weatherford.

----------------
To create a policy for limiting the use of deadly force on pets

When a police officer's first line of defense is to reach for a weapon, it is sending the wrong message to the community that they swore to uphold and protect. If the police officer is the first responder involving an animal, then the police officers should be trained in animal control techniques.

Spook, a 3 year old pit bull was CHAINED in his yard and standing 3 feet away from his guardian, when he was killed by a Gulfport police officer. His death is tragic enough on its own, but the fact that he was the 2nd dog killed by the police department this year shows that the officers not only need training, but a clear policy that encourages non-lethal dog handling techniques.

The Gulfport Police Department must adopt a new policy for standing operating procedure when they deal with canines that incorporates a force continuum, with lethal force as a last resort.

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-dog-shootings-by-gulfport-police

tod evans
09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
New emoticon! Sweet.

Here's another good one;

http://archives.forum-politique.org/2011/i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lilaznchynkboi2010/SmileysGoBad/guillotine01.gif

presence
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
This topic needs a subforum.

Dr.3D
09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's another good one;

http://archives.forum-politique.org/2011/i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lilaznchynkboi2010/SmileysGoBad/guillotine01.gif
Oh the poor little coconut.