PDA

View Full Version : U CAN'T HAZ CHEEZBURGERZ. Study: Burger joint air pollution worse than diesel trucks.

phill4paul
09-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Here we go. The burger Nazi's are gonna have a field day with this report.

HESPERIA (CBSLA.com) — A UC Riverside study found that commercially cooked hamburgers cause more air pollution than diesel trucks.

The study, which focused on commercial charbroilers found in burger restaurants, said the equipment generates grease, smoke, water vapors and combustion products, which emit a large amount of particulate matter into the air.

“For comparison, an 18-wheeler diesel engine truck would have to drive 143 miles on the freeway to put out the same mass of particulates as a single charbroiled hamburger patty,” said Bill Welch, the principle engineer.

Researchers also found few regulations for the restaurant emissions.

Customers at a Hesperia burger joint said you can’t compare diesel emissions with hamburger smoke.

“Either way, we’re living in a world (where) we’re still going through pollution. But the difference is we are getting some type of benefit from (the burger),” said Maria Segura.

The UCR study is co-funded by the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/09/18/study-air-pollution-from-grilled-burgers-worse-than-trucks/

Anti Federalist
09-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, here we go.

Nice work anti smoking Nazis.

Your woodstove and fireplace is next.

donnay
09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
LOL! The completely overlook the the deep fry vat and immediately go after burgers. :rolleyes:

libertyjam
09-19-2012, 04:58 PM
What!? "But the difference is we are getting some type of benefit from (the burger),”

Like you don't get a benefit out of a diesel engine? Which without there would be no burger? It's like they are from another planet! Called Stupid Planet!

dannno
09-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Do they have any idea how amazing that particulate matter that gets released smells?!

phill4paul
09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah, here we go.

Hey, we can always keep warm at our non-smoking all-can-eat grazing troughs.

Occam's Banana
09-19-2012, 05:47 PM
“For comparison, an 18-wheeler diesel engine truck would have to drive 143 miles on the freeway to put out the same mass of particulates as a single charbroiled hamburger patty,” said Bill Welch, the principle engineer.

[..]

“Either way, we’re living in a world (where) we’re still going through pollution. But the difference is we are getting some type of benefit from (the burger),” said Maria Segura.

And just how the hell does this "Maria Segura" person think things like hamburger patties, or other food, or cows, or medical supplies, or [fill-in-the-blank] get delivered to where they're going?

And Segura actually thinks she's defending the point. Geezus!

With "friends" like this, who needs idiots?

jkr
09-19-2012, 05:47 PM
PRY MY BurgeR FROM MY GREASY, DELICIOUS HANDS, AND MUSTACHE YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!

Working Poor
09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't believe this study that one hambuger sets off more pollution than a diesel truck no way.

phill4paul
09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't believe this study that one hambuger sets off more pollution than a diesel truck no way.

When looking at studies I first look to those who fund the studies.

The UCR study is co-funded by the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

Then I look to see if anything in the study benefits those who fund it.

Researchers also found few regulations for the restaurant emissions.

Ta-da. I question the study myself.

mad cow
09-19-2012, 06:55 PM

They don't mention pollution,they cite particulates so as to confuse.

I wonder how large a mass of particulates a boiling pot of distilled water would put out.

Danke
09-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Next, they'll be monitoring the smells from my bathroom fan.

DavidK
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Just pay Al'Gore your carbon taxes and shutup

nobody's_hero
09-19-2012, 07:53 PM
If *smoke* comes off of your food, you're burning it.

acptulsa
09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
If *smoke* comes off of your food, you're burning it.

No.

I was just thinking about how these nazis would react to me. I can't remember the last time I cooked a burger indoors. I even grill hamburger for things like chili.

Smoked meat looks better, smells better, tastes better, keeps better and its better for you. And it doesn't heat up the house. So, Gore can kiss my ass.

They can have my grill when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

sailingaway
09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
only in particulates. The SCAQMD used to regulate burger grills, they were trying to run them out of business, as I saw it, they thought frying burgers was fine and tried to suggest that to those fined for 'too great opacity' (yes Virginia, they had SCAQMD inspectors measuring the opacity of smoke from a burger grill....) it finally went away but there was a chain out here, Carl's Jr where the CEO said they'd fight it every step and pay the fines and make it high profile, their entire 'trademark' essentially is the 'grilled, not fried' fast food....

nobody's_hero
09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
No.

I was just thinking about how these nazis would react to me. I can't remember the last time I cooked a burger indoors. I even grill hamburger for things like chili.

Smoked mean looks better, smells better, tastes better, keeps better and its better for you. And it doesn't heat up the house. So, Gore can kiss my ass.

They can have my grill when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I mean, I think it's steam. Now, charcoal or wood might create real smoke, but I don't know of too many people who eat the charcoal and wood.

BenIsForRon
09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
PRY MY BurgeR FROM MY GREASY, DELICIOUS HANDS, AND MUSTACHE YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!

hahahahaha

torchbearer
09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, here we go.

you aren't thinking big enough- Fart and Belch Tax

acptulsa
09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I mean, I think it's steam. Now, charcoal or wood might create real smoke, but I don't know of too many people who eat the charcoal and wood.

That's a point, that's a point.

Keith and stuff
09-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I think the author of the study may be missing something. How is water and grease in the air pollution?

acptulsa
09-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I think the author of the study may be missing something. How is water and grease in the air pollution?

How is exhaling carbon dioxide pollution? The plants love it.

Surely you don't believe that all talk about pollution is sensible, realistic and sane?

Philhelm
09-20-2012, 08:11 AM
you aren't thinking big enough- Fart and Belch Tax

That would ruin me.

Texan4Life
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Do they have any idea how amazing that particulate matter that gets released smells?!

+1

and as a gear head old diesels smell way better than the new ones.

Frackin EPA assaulting your senses whenever possible

luctor-et-emergo
09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
How many miles for the bacon that's on my burger ?

PaulConventionWV
09-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Here we go. The burger Nazi's are gonna have a field day with this report.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/09/18/study-air-pollution-from-grilled-burgers-worse-than-trucks/

So now smoke and water vapor are pollutants? "Particulate matter" is a VERY broad term.

QuickZ06
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
So now smoke and water vapor are pollutants? "Particulate matter" is a VERY broad term.

And so is corn dust.....dust.

shane77m
09-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I read through the thread and now I want some Burger King. Triple Whopper with cheese.

Thought about making a comment about the nutcases that do these studies but I figure the Triple Whopper with cheese would get my blood pressure up enough as it is.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I read through the thread and now I want some Burger King. Triple Whopper with cheese.

Thought about making a comment about the nutcases that do these studies but I figure the Triple Whopper with cheese would get my blood pressure up enough as it is.

MMmmmmmm, triple Whopper...auuugghhhhhhhh.

http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/Triple_Whopper_with_Cheese_-_one_of_unhealthiest_fast_foods.jpg

shane77m
09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
MMmmmmmm, triple Whopper...auuugghhhhhhhh.

http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/Triple_Whopper_with_Cheese_-_one_of_unhealthiest_fast_foods.jpg

http://mattcbr.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/drooling_homer.gif?w=314&h=360

Dr.3D
09-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow, these people would faint due to shock if they could go back to the days when people were heating their homes with coal. I remember in the winter, the snow used to be black on the surface from all of the particulate that fell on it through the night. Particulate isn't going to hurt anything anyway, it rinses out of the air when it rains and snows and goes back to the ground where it came from in the first place.

MelissaWV
09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
In all fairness, in most "burger joints" the cheeseburger is made up of mostly-not-meat topped with plasticheese.

acptulsa
09-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Wow, these people would faint due to shock if they could go back to the days when people were heating their homes with coal. I remember in the winter, the snow used to be black on the surface from all of the particulate that fell on it through the night. Particulate isn't going to hurt anything anyway, it rinses out of the air when it rains and snows and goes back to the ground where it came from in the first place.

Says Phoebe Snow
about to go
upon a trip to Buffalo
"My gown stays white
from morn till night
Upon the Road of Anthracite"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Lackawanna_Limited_Phoebe_Snow_1906.JPG

Anthracite coal didn't deposit so much soot. The old Lackawana Railroad used it--and used that fact to attract patronage from passengers that didn't want to wear soot from the locomotive stack.

In all fairness, in most "burger joints" the cheeseburger is made up of mostly-not-meat topped with plasticheese.

But that's not the amazing part. The amazing part is that they have the audacity to charge some 70 cents for that thin stripe of 'cheese food'.

phill4paul
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Hush, you.

Dr.3D
09-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Says Phoebe Snow
about to go
upon a trip to Buffalo
"My gown stays white
from morn till night
Upon the Road of Anthracite"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Lackawanna_Limited_Phoebe_Snow_1906.JPG

Anthracite coal didn't deposit so much soot. The old Lackawana Railroad used it--and used that fact to attract patronage from passengers that didn't want to wear soot from the locomotive stack.

But that's not the amazing part. The amazing part is that they have the audacity to charge some 70 cents for that thin stripe of 'cheese food'.
Well, maybe it was from heating with wood. All I know is the snow used to have a black layer on top on various days.

acptulsa
09-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Well, maybe it was from heating with wood. All I know is the snow used to have a black layer on top on various days.

No, I believe you were right the first time--coal. Anthracite coal was special stuff. It was mined on the Lackawana and the Lackawana mainly bought it because they didn't have to pay someone else to bring it to them; besides, the vendor was also a customer. Besides all of that, it was unique and a selling point.

Any other type of coal was chock full of soot.

http://bookloverplace.com/public_html/bookloverplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Phoebe2.jpg

Anti Federalist
09-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Bite me, smoke Nazis!

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/4004.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOFWcXffs0

Anti Federalist
09-20-2012, 06:18 PM
No, I believe you were right the first time--coal. Anthracite coal was special stuff. It was mined on the Lackawana and the Lackawana mainly bought it because they didn't have to pay someone else to bring it to them; besides, the vendor was also a customer. Besides all of that, it was unique and a selling point.

Any other type of coal was chock full of soot.

I've burned anthracite, and it is clean, burns with a hot blue flame and almost zero smoke or soot.

Dr.3D
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
+1

And I think they smell a lot better than the gasoline exhaust does.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
+1

Yes, thank you EPA for piss bottle diesels.

Yes, that's right folks, new diesels come equipped with a system that pumps artificially synthesized human piss into the exhaust.