PDA

View Full Version : CNN says the youth will not vote

entropy
11-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Gives props to we the Paulites, even a pic of our support.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/19/young.voters/index.html

As I have said before, the youth are the wild card in RP's campaign. Prove em wrong you damn whippersnappers!

rockwell
11-19-2007, 12:12 PM
I notice they aren't "Rocking The Vote" on MT-TelletubbieV this year.

Why is that, do you suppose?

seapilot
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Something even bigger than the biggest money bomb hopefully will be the Young VOTE for Ron Paul.

apropos
11-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Historically, this is an accurate claim.

FrankRep
11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Why hasn't MTV jumped on Ron Paul yet?

1000-points-of-fright
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Cuz he's an old white republican male.

rs3515
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Historically, this is an accurate claim.

Yes, every election people say "this is going to be the election when young people vote!", but it never happens. Youth were excited about Bill Clinton, didn't happen. Youth were excited about Al Gore, didn't happen. Youth were excited about John Kerry, didn't happen.

I *really* hope it's different this time around ... however say you're in college, just went to a big party the night before, or studying in early November 2008 for exams ... will they push those things aside and do it? Let's hope so.

me3
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Well he is wiry and stays in shape, but let's not forget he is 72 years old. He might not be able to carry the entire music industry single handed. :p

rs3515
11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
LOL this is the best quote in the whole article:

"A recent poll by New York University's journalism department found that a majority of students said they would give up their right to vote if they could get their tuition paid."

jrich4rpaul
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm calling out of work, skipping class, failing tests, whatever it takes to get to the voting booth next year.

Let it not be said that we did NOTHING - Ron Paul

Hope
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes, every election people say "this is going to be the election when young people vote!", but it never happens. Youth were excited about Bill Clinton, didn't happen. Youth were excited about Al Gore, didn't happen. Youth were excited about John Kerry, didn't happen.

I *really* hope it's different this time around ... however say you're in college, just went to a big party the night before, or studying in early November 2008 for exams ... will they push those things aside and do it? Let's hope so.

The difference now is that we're Republicans. And Reps have a much better voter turn out overall, so this gives me hope.

Scribbler de Stebbing
11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
"A recent poll by New York University's journalism department found that a majority of students said they would give up their right to vote if they could get their tuition paid."

Those are exactly the people who should NOT be voting.

I was speaking at a college a week or so ago. Most of the others speaking were representing Democratic candidates. It was all "free tuition," "free health care," "free this," "free that" to much applause.

Only those paying taxes into the system would be allowed a vote in my benevolent dictatorship-democracy.

rs3515
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
The difference now is that we're Republicans. And Reps have a much better voter turn out overall, so this gives me hope.

True, but youth voting numbers across the board are bad. I really really hope it's different this time. However typically not only are youth voters far more likely to vote Democrat, but they are far less likely to turn out no matter which party.

rasheedwallace
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM

part of the machine...

rockwell
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM

They've been getting that for decades; it's called student loans and vote rigging. They get to pay for their college education by paying the gov back for years while they use machines that don't count their votes.

DONE DEAL!

rs3515
11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
It was all "free tuition," "free health care," "free this," "free that" to much applause.

Yes this is the key issue ... youth tend to usually think very communally, not realizing quite yet there are people in this world that will take advantage of a situation for their own benefit if they can. There is also not yet an understanding that with control and power, tyranny can become very real.

This is why they eventually become cynical neocons when they reach their 50s and 60s. ;)

Kapt Nemo
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM

As I have said before, the youth are the wild card in RP's campaign. Prove em wrong you damn whippersnappers!

So I'm nearly ready to lose the lunch I haven't eaten... there are seriously "Obama Girls" wtf...

Can't wait til they go wild... (prolly with Obama anyways..)

http://smilies.newcastlebeats.com/smilies/crackmonkey.gif

foofighter20x
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm calling out of work, skipping class, failing tests, whatever it takes to get to the voting booth next year.

Let it not be said that we did NOTHING - Ron Paul

Most state laws require employers to not prohibit you from going to vote.

Kapt Nemo
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Most state laws require employers to not prohibit you from going to vote.

Yes, but they won't tell their employee's to go vote... they'll demand you do it on your lunch, or after work, or even before...

I think in the coming election I'll be voting early in the morning.

jgmaynard
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Which is all why I LOVE the idea of mass-text-messaging students for the election - get them to vote and rally at the polls!

JM

drfarrington
11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Well he is wiry and stays in shape, but let's not forget he is 72 years old. He might not be able to carry the entire music industry single handed. :p

Bullshit. Mick Jagger has to be twice that age and he's still rocking harder than ever.

AlexMerced
11-19-2007, 04:12 PM

but it's rare to see this kinda excitment during the primaries, all those examples are during the general elections. We got the motivated youngins to have them this early in the race.

Syren123
11-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Sounds like a plan. Let's start a Chip-In.

J4ck
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
"I would absolutely give up my right to vote," one young man said. Another said, "It's my education and I feel that's a little more important."
lmao

reaver
11-19-2007, 04:56 PM
42% would give up their vote for an iphone.

McCarthy Was Right
11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
The media analysts show clips of the Ron Paul revolutionary youth in NYC at a rally they organized shouting "Ron Paul!" and they are saying these people will not go out and vote?

Yet they show minority youth walking around supporting Obama and Hillary but the passion is not there. They show Obama and Hillary giving speeches at what looks to be colleges. Heck, If Hillary or Obama went to my college I would go and watch just for the heck of it.

The problem with the democratic youth is they are primarily minorities, apathetic college men and women. MTV launched this whole campaign specifically toward these groups and depended on them to help John Kerry win. Yet these groups NEVER vote, especially minorities who make up the bulk of the support for Obama and Hillary.

Ron Paul youth are hyped and are already getting involved. I knew so many kids who supported Kerry and hated Bush but not a single one of them actually voted. Every single Ron Paul supporter I know without a doubt will be at the polls

mordechai
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Um, well, the cutoff locally seems to be about 35-40 before Paul is scary to them. Basically, you want to the real view on how to decipher support,Paul's young supporters are folks who look at their paychecks, and realize all that money going to Social Security might as well have been used as fire starter in a chimney. Paul's older supporters were folks that voted for Goldwater in the primaries.

College voters don't turn out in droves, because they don't have those checks coming in, knowing they're getting cheated yet.

Granted, with Paul it may be different......

Daveforliberty
11-19-2007, 05:31 PM
One of a long line of BIG STORIES (just had one with the $4.3M day) will be "Young People Turn Out in Record Numbers for Paul."

You don't have to hope, it's going to happen. Saying young people were "excited" about Clinton or Gore discounts the fact that they were still, at the end of the day, average politicians. No young people thought their very freedoms depended on them.

Young people this time around know what's at stake and will turn out for the MESSAGE, not the messenger.

american.swan
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM

Scientifically this tends to be true. Youth don't vote. Their too busy with Accounting homework at college to get some absentee ballet sent in. Then come general election time their too buy working at Mickie D's or that darn term paper in English rears up. And also don't for get the opposite sex is a great distraction too. SO yeah, getting the young to vote isn't easy. But we have to get them out this time in record numbers.

j3utton
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
im a 'youth' and trust me... Ill be voting. Even in the primary.

Bigboyen
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
We can't relay on youth votes; then we have a huge disappointment waiting. That's the reason advertising should go towards people paying tax and extra towards older people that always voting.

We need to compete on the same field as the rest of the candidates. We maybe don't need to win the sure voters, but we can't be number four and hope a lot of new votes will save us on Election Day. So the polls the rest of 2007 is really important. If we don't poll close to Thompson, McCain and Huckabee nationally when the elections starts we will lose. My hope is that we can be on around 12% nationally and in second in NH at New Year. Then we can crush all the other candidates if the youth surprisingly shows up at the polls in huge numbers.

rodent
11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I notice they aren't "Rocking The Vote" on MT-TelletubbieV this year.

Why is that, do you suppose?

Young people are intoxicated with ideas and concerns that don't matter. I'm not talking about the people who're here and who support RP. I'm 27, and even at my age, I see people who just don't get it. They'll have kids, they'll pay taxes, but they still don't "get it."

I'm voting for Ron Paul; however, as far as I'm concerned, our constitutional republic is a failed experiment. We should not have given everyone the right to vote, because most people just simply do not understand how freedom and prosperity are created and preserved. Most succumb to their inner-lazy and think they are entitled to things -- especially things that were created/earned by very intelligent, hard working people.

The founding fathers gave land-owning white males the right to vote. Today, it would be better if we could come up with some politically correct way to prevent every uninformed idiot from weighing in.