PDA

View Full Version : The Pope, Paul and Islam

Primbs
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
"Radical Islam — or Islamofascism, as conservatives are prone to call it — conveys the impression of a political movement. It is no such animal.

Al Qaeda's suicide bombers and assorted gunslingers are not individual al Qaeda terrorists, inspired by Osama bin Laden, that have hijacked a religion. Like it or not, the West is fighting a religion "that arose in enraged reaction to the West," writes Fergus Kerr in "20th Century Catholic Theologians."

The Islamofascism label for al Qaeda's fundamentalist support "to save Islam" justifies the neoconservative campaign to pressure President Bush to order Iran's nuclear facilities bombed before he leaves office.

The only leader who has called it by its real name, according to Mr. Kerr, "is a man wholly averse to war, a pope who took his name from the Benedict who interceded for peace in World War I." Benedict XVI, alone among the leaders of the Christian world, "challenges Islam as a religion,"

Ron Paul and the Pope are on the same side trying to stop the bombing on Iran.

Arnaud de Borchgrave
Know your enemy.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071118/COMMENTARY/111180009/1012/commentary

Wendi
11-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Sometimes, all I can do is shake my head and go, what the heck?

This world - and especially this nation - is soooo messed up :(

Green Mountain Boy
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
That was a strange article... confusing because I don't quite understand what the author was trying to say. It seemed a bit scizophrenic.

Anyways, here are some interesting facts abou the author:

-Editor of The Washington Times and United Press International (UPI)

-Transnational Threats Director for The Center for Strategic and International Studies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Strategic_and_International_Studies)

-Born to a Belgian Count who was head of Belgium's military intelligence for the government in exile, during World War II

Primbs
11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
He tends to disagree with Bush on the war on terror. he has written extensively on the war on terror and thinks we are making the situation worse. He has spent a lot of time in Pakistan.

"As a correspondent for Newsweek, de Borchgrave secured numerous interviews with world leaders. In 1969 he interviewed both President Nasser of Egypt and Israeli Prime Minister Levi Eshkol. In October 1972, during the Vietnam War, he was accorded his most famous interview, travelling to Hanoi to speak with North Vietnamese Prime Minister and Politburo member Pham Van Dong.

In that interview, Dong described a provision of a proposed peace deal as a "coalition of transition," which raised fears with the South Vietnamese that the deal involved a coalition government, possibly playing a role in South Vietnam's rejection of the deal. He was appointed Editor-in-Chief for The Washington Times on March 20, 1985.

Corydoras
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I've read theological traditionalists criticize B16 for giving into Islamic rage and being soft on "Islamofascism," because after his speech, he made all sorts of conciliatory gestures toward Islam, going so far as to pray in a mosque.