PDA

View Full Version : WA-Cops taser mentally ill man and toss him in jail cell to die.

Anti Federalist
09-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Officer safety.

Family demands answers after mentally ill man dies after tasing

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington?fId=169930936&fPath=/home&fDomain=10212

by ELISA HAHN / KING 5 News
NWCN.com
Posted on September 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Updated yesterday at 11:00 AM

They held vigil for Bill Williams Saturday night outside the very place he died, the Snohomish County Jail.

"My husband was mentally ill and we were not able to receive the help we needed,” said Nancy Williams, his wife. “I don't understand.”

His family says Bill Williams battled demons for four decades. His family says over that time, they had Williams involuntarily committed 12 times. Recently, he stopped taking his medication for his bi-polar disorder.

"I started calling the police last week and his case manager saying Bill needs to be hospitalized,” his wife said. “And they ignored us.”

Then Friday night at a convenience store on Broadway, police arrested Williams for shoplifting.

"My first thought was why is he in jail and not the hospital,” said his daughter Trina Blau. “He's mentally ill.”

Police say while he was being booked at the jail, Williams became combative. Officers tased him and put him in an isolation cell as a safety precaution.

According to the family, three hours later he was found dead.

"My dad had a name, he had a faced. He was a real person,” said Blau. “He was not some piece of garbage to be tased to death.”

The Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team is investigating the death, which is standard procedure for any death of an individual in police custody. SMART could release few details, but says maintaining control inside the jail is of upmost importance.

"You have to do what makes you safe and others inside the jail system safe as well,” said Everett police officer Aaron Snell, who was acting as the SMART spokesperson. “It's a tough situation.”

Now yet another family battling mental illness feels the system has failed them.

"No one should die in their cell alone, when they don't even know why they're there,” said Blau.

The medical examiner tells Williams’ family it could be weeks before toxicology tests are back and they know exactly how he died.

Philhelm
09-18-2012, 03:37 PM
The guy was mentally ill, and should never have been combative with law enforcement personnel. He got what he deserved, cop hater.

tod evans
09-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Assholes!

http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

Philhelm
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Assholes!

http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

We're running out of rope. :(

tod evans
09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
We're running out of rope. :(

Just bought two skeins ;)

Philhelm
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Just bought two skeins ;)

The cops just shot 100 more dogs, raped 50 more children, and shot 1,000 more innocent people...and that's just toady! :toady:

tod evans
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Nukes?

Occam's Banana
09-18-2012, 04:00 PM
The Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team is investigating the death, which is standard procedure for any death of an individual in police custody. SMART could release few details, but says maintaining control inside the jail is of upmost importance.

Translation: "We haven't had time to concoct a cover story, yet, so we'll just pre-emptively excuse ourselves with some blather about the 'upmost [sic] importance' of 'maintaining control'."

Despite the "few details" they deigned to release, it looks like these "SMART" fellas have pretty much decided that whatever happened is just A-OK.

All that remains now is to apply the standard white-wash.

"You have to do what makes you safe and others inside the jail system safe as well,” said Everett police officer Aaron Snell, who was acting as the SMART spokesperson. “It's a tough situation.”

Tough situation? Yeah, well, I suppose it *does* get tiresome chanting "officer safety, neener, neener, neener" over & over again.

robert9712000
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
These Cops better get a paid leave of absence while they investigate what happened and should not be allowed to return too duty till people forget about the indecent

Lucille
09-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm afraid that one day I'll get the call about my bipolar brother being killed by a cop. He calls them when he needs to go to the psych ward. He has way too much contact with them for it to not end badly for him.

Anti Federalist
09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm afraid that one day I'll get the call about my bipolar brother being killed by a cop. He calls them when he needs to go to the psych ward. He has way too much contact with them for it to not end badly for him.

I have a story that was sent to me in a PM about an incident with a family member that had turned despondent.

I was given permission to post the story, but decided against it, not so much because cops were called and everything turned out OK, but to protect this person's privacy.

That has always been my position: that most of the time things will go smoothly.

It's just that the horrendous outcome at things going sideways, and the increasing numbers of "sideways" encounters, would have me suggest, as forcefully as I could, for the sake of your brother, to find alternative transportation to whatever facilities he needs.

presence
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I posted this story yesterday:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?390129-Incarcerate-and-Execute-the-Mentally-Ill

Lucille
09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I will keep on nagging him about it, AF! Thanks.

Kodaddy
09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
We wouldn't run out of rope if they legalized hemp....

Anti Federalist
09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I posted this story yesterday:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?390129-Incarcerate-and-Execute-the-Mentally-Ill

My mistake.

presence
09-19-2012, 06:21 AM
We need a "request thread merge" button.