PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for the ACLU

green73
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
City bans father-daughter dances

CRANSTON, R.I. -- In a move that has taken some parents by surprise, the school department has announced that it is banning traditional "father-daughter" and "mother-son" activities, saying they violate state law.

Supt. Judith Lundsten said the move was triggered by a letter ifrom the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of a single mom who had complained that her daughter had not been able to attend her father-daughter dance.

Lundsten said school attorneys found while federal Title IX legislation banning gender discrimination gives an exemption for "father-son" and "mother-daughter" events, Rhode Island law doesn't.

http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2012/09/cranston-bans-f.html

tod evans
09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
ACLU........http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/images/smilies/junk2/puking.gif

aGameOfThrones
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5qq8gsHwu1qmaa05o1_500.gif

TonySutton
09-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Stupid dances are stupid. School is for learning.

green73
09-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Sounds like somebody didn't have a prom date...

specsaregood
09-18-2012, 09:00 AM

Then think of it as dance class.

PaulConventionWV
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Private schools are just as capable of putting on fun and entertaining events that aid in a child's development as government schools are. How is that a bad thing?

Green73 said it first, "Sounds like somebody didn't have a prom date."

opal
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I totaly agree that the ACLU has no business in this.

I also can look from the child's point of view though. I feel bad for the little girl that couldn't attend without a dad.

How many kids in this country are currently in one parent households? How many little girls don't have a dad to drag to one of these events? My school didn't have these affairs (many years ago) but this is more of a PTA issue. Call it something else.. invite uncles...big brothers.. or just plain ask the kids what they'd like to see as a solution.

TonySutton
09-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Hahaha I didn't have a prom date nor did I go to the prom :P

I graduated mid-term my senior year and joined the Marines. I was actually in Boot Camp during my school prom :D

KingNothing
09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
I freaking love the ACLU. I donate to them and will continue to do so. ....but this is just silly.

And, for the record, school dances are stupid because "dancing" is stupid. And I had a prom date.

KingNothing
09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
I freaking love the ACLU. I donate to them and will continue to do so. ....but this is just silly.

And, for the record, school dances are stupid because "dancing" is stupid. And I had a prom date.

jbauer
09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Then think of it as dance class.
Or sex ed

RPtotheWH
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM

F the ACLU, they completely abandon us on 2A issues.

Todd
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Justin Raimondo has a word for stuff like this. It's called the Bizzaro effect.

The Free Hornet
09-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Justin Raimondo has a word for stuff like this. It's called the Bizzaro effect.

Per the internets,

THE BIZARRO EFFECT (http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j111903.html)
Did 9/11 rip a hole in the space-time continuum? The evidence grows…
by Justin Raimondo

Something quite sinister is happening. But you knew that. As we know all too well, since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, everything changed: the earth somersaulted on its axis, and reality became …inverted. I first broached, somewhat tentatively, the idea that 9/11 ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and delivered us into a nightmare universe – a Bizarro World where up is down, right is wrong, and conservatives have morphed into Jacobins – in a column written last year.

First, this is the same ACLU pre-9/11 or post-9/11. No bizarro effect.

Second, the entire school should be cancelled. Tax dollars ought not to be taken and certainly not for things we can do ourselves. Either they have jobs and can afford educators (not education) or they have time to impart the necessary lessons. Public education is a power grab. These bizarre effects come from government control and we fight over that control with courts, lawyers, legislation, et cetera.

AGRP
09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
lol @ Title IX

Technically, the ACLU is right on this under Title IX. I could create a laundry list of things that could be banned under the same argument as father-daughter dances/Title IX. Lets start at the closest related event: Sadie Hawkins Dance. We can abolish it because there is no dance that explicitly states that male students invite female students. What about birth control? If condoms are provided, they must provide the pill. Until then, all condoms must be removed.

youngbuck
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM

The ACLU is a bullshit organization. For every good thing they do, they counter is with a couple dozen bullshit actions. They couldn't give two shats about the 2nd amendment (as mentioned above), and as a whole they are blatantly anti-Christian. In a nutshell, they choose "rights" that suit their agenda. A broken clock is right twice a day, and so is the ACLU. There's a snowball's chance in hell that I'd ever give them a penny.

EBounding
09-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I see they took a time out from suing cities for their Crèche's.

The ACLU could really be a great organization if they only concentrated on things that actually threaten our liberties, instead of social engineering.

ronpaulfollower999
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Screw that. I didn't even go to my prom. Tried getting out of graduation, but they wouldn't give me my diploma. :rolleyes:

jmdrake
09-18-2012, 02:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUTJK0TOmyY

AbVag
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
ACLU is a love and hate organization. Sometimes they get it right, other times they make you wanna punch them.

QWDC
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
We need a liberty version of the ACLU. I dunno, maybe that's what the "Lawyers for Ron Paul" thing should grow into.

The Free Hornet
09-18-2012, 11:13 PM
We need a liberty version of the ACLU. I dunno, maybe that's what the "Lawyers for Ron Paul" thing should grow into.

IJ (Institute for Justice) (http://www.ij.org/) is a good start.

donnay
09-18-2012, 11:44 PM
IJ (Institute for Justice) (http://www.ij.org/) is a good start.

That's where my donations go! These guys are great. The ACLU is a trojan horse for liberty.

DamianTV
09-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Stupid dances are stupid. School is for learning indoctrinating.

Fixed.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Father-daughter dances sound a little weird to me. And I still carry my 40+ pound 5 year old around sometimes just because I like to. I just never stopped and probably won't stop carrying her until she makes me. I dance with her in public. Wouldn't want to attend a specific event for that. Whatever. Wouldn't favor banning it, either, if people want to do it. I bet there's more to this story I wouldn't like.

BlackTerrel
09-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Was he a nice guy?

Acala
09-19-2012, 09:45 AM
the entire school should be cancelled. Tax dollars ought not to be taken and certainly not for things we can do ourselves. Either they have jobs and can afford educators (not education) or they have time to impart the necessary lessons. Public education is a power grab. These bizarre effects come from government control and we fight over that control with courts, lawyers, legislation, et cetera.

Yup. This is not a problem with the ACLU. This is a problem with government involvement in education. Government needs to be prohibited from any involvement in education at any level in any way. Period. Problem solved.