PDA

View Full Version : White House says it's unconstitutional to strike down an unconstitutional provision

RockEnds
09-18-2012, 08:17 AM
White House Says It's Unconstitutional To Strike Down The NDAA

Judge Katherine B. Forrest permanently blocked the government from enforcing the National Defense Authorization Act, claiming it was too vague and would have a "chilling effect" on free speech.

And now the Department of Justice is calling Forrest's ruling "unprecedented," arguing that the government has long had the authority to detain anyone it deems a threat to the county, The Wall Street Journal's Law Blog reported Friday....

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-administration-fights-for-the-ndaa-2012-9

Spikender
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
The comments are refreshing.

Anyway, this doesn't surprise me in the least.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
The comments are refreshing.

Don't hear that often. lol

tsai3904
09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Government wins temporary freeze of military detention order

An appeals court order late on Monday granted a temporary stay sought by the Justice Department after a judge had ruled unconstitutional part of a statute that authorizes indefinite military detention for people deemed to have "substantially supported" al Qaeda, the Taliban or "associated forces."

The government had asked the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York on Monday to freeze the ruling by U.S. District Judge Katherine Forrest.

The Justice Department, which represents U.S. President Barack Obama, argued the judge's September 12 injunction barring enforcement of a portion of the National Defense Authorization Act's "Homeland Battlefield" provisions would harm U.S. war efforts abroad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/us-usa-security-lawsuit-idUSBRE88H0X020120918

Anti Federalist
09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
"Homeland Battlefield"

Now you know one of the reasons why cops are executing people in the street and shooting dogs every day.

Spikender
09-18-2012, 12:43 PM
"Homeland Battlefield"

Now you know one of the reasons why cops are executing people in the street and shooting dogs every day.

Yeah, as soon as I saw those two words my mind instantly began to run through all the threads you and others have made. Truly frightening stuff.

dannno
09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
"A threat to the county" :D

phill4paul
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
"Homeland Battlefield"

That term did not escape me. Doom on us.

RockEnds
09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
From the original article, the thing that struck me the most was this:

Forrest's ruling oversteps the court's authority and infringes on Obama's power to act as Commander in Chief, according to the government's court filings.

Occam's Banana
09-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Forrest's ruling oversteps the court's authority and infringes on Obama's power to act as Commander in Chief, according to the government's court filings.

What??!! How *dare* the courts stray beyond their appointed duties as the government's official rubber-stampers!

Why, the unmitigated gall of some people ...

(P.S.: I'm guessing Forrest can kiss goodbye any chance of ever being nominated to SCOTUS.)

RockEnds
09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
(P.S.: I'm guessing Forrest can kiss goodbye any chance of ever being nominated to SCOTUS.)

She may still be in the running for gitmo.

Lucille
09-18-2012, 02:06 PM
They never do specify whose Constitution they're talking about. It seems like Obama et al. are usually referring to this one: http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/russian/const/1936toc.html

pacelli
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Wasn't Obummer a constitutional lawyer or something? Wouldn't that make Obummer unconstitutional on multiple levels?

James Madison
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM

I always hated that term 'Commander in Chief'. Unless you are in the military, the president is not Commander in Chief. Even then, the term is so misused that it might as well mean 'king' or 'supreme leader'.