UPDATE #2
Received details on the rescheduled committee meeting:

House Standing Committee Meeting

Oversight, Reform, and Ethics, Rep. Tom McMillin, Chair

DATE: 9/25/2012

TIME: 12:00 PM

PLACE: Room 326 House Office Building, Lansing, MI

AGENDA:
HB 5768 (Rep. McMillin) Military affairs; other; restriction of activities by Michigan national guard and state and local employees; provide for under certain circumstances.

UPDATE
As I was typing this we heard back from Rep. McMillan's staff that the meeting has been postponed to 09/25/12, the time is still to be determined. It will be posted HERE (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4wncqc3f4ql1c445pbx33u55))/mileg.aspx?page=committeemeetings) or ALTERNATIVELY HERE (http://www.house.mi.gov/publiccommitteeschedule/) as soon as the time is determined. Will keep this updated.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

This perhaps belongs in the MI sub-forum, but with the time-sensitivity of the committee hearing I wanted to get some visibility for the next few days so possibly some of our Michiganders might see it.

Anyway, it has been brought to my attention that a bill (Link: H.B. 5768 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/House/pdf/2012-HIB-5768.pdf)) is being brought before the Michigan's House committee on Oversight, Reform, and Ethics to nullify the contested provisions of the NDAA within the State of Michigan. The bill, authored by State Rep. Tom McMillan (Chair of the Committee (http://www.house.mi.gov/MHRPublic/CommitteeInfo.aspx?comkey=18)), would prevent any Michigan law enforcement agencies from aiding Federal agencies in enforcement of the unconstitutional provisions of the NDAA.

The meeting is currently scheduled for UNDETERMINED on Tuesday 09/25/12 at the Capitol in Lansing. There will be time for testimony that is open to the public. Both the Libertarian Party and the Campaign For Liberty have asked concerned citizens to please try to attend the meeting and speak out against the unconstitutional, indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA and why Michigan needs to move to nullify it within the state.

My girlfriend who is currently a grad student at Michigan State in East Lansing is in contact with Rep. McMillan's office to make sure she's notified of any time/place changes for the meeting as she most certainly intends to testify before the committee. I work about an hour away from Lansing, but will try to finagle my schedule to do the same if possible.

Please try to make the time to come out if you can. Even if you don't speak, your visible support for those that do can make an impact.

I will continue to update this post if I get any further details or updates.

Thanks!

FSP-Rebel
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM
This was one of the items of discussion at our delegate meeting on Sunday so I'm definitely going to show up for this. Even if people don't want to testify on the bill it is important to crowd the room to make sure it's standing room only.

Darguth
09-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Bump for visibility - still no word on a scheduled time for next week.

ClydeCoulter
09-19-2012, 07:38 AM
This bill prevents state participation in such unconstitutional activities, but, will there be any protections provided in future bills against unconstitutional infringements by federal officers against citizens and/or residents and/or those taking legal asylum within the borders of that state?

edit: Great first step, btw. May the force be with youall

Darguth
09-19-2012, 08:01 AM
This bill prevents state participation in such unconstitutional activities, but, will there be any protections provided in future bills against unconstitutional infringements by federal officers against citizens and/or residents and/or those taking legal asylum within the borders of that state?

edit: Great first step, btw. May the force be with youall

Not within this bill, no. It is more a state interposition than actual nullification.

Darguth
09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Bump with updated details.

Darguth
09-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Just an FYI that this meeting went pretty well. We filled the committee room to capacity, filled an overflow room, and still had people standing in the wings and by the door.

You can see the proposed minutes for the meeting HERE (http://www.house.mi.gov/SessionDocs/2011-2012/Minutes/over092512.pdf).

We had 13 people give verbal testimony in support of nullification, 7 people gave written testimony in support, and 25 people turned in cards to express their support on-the-record. That's 45 people from across the state of Michigan that came out to support the bill at this committee meeting (which is a lot for a meeting like this, especially in the middle of a work day), though I know for a fact there were more there that simply forgot to turn in cards because I can see neither of my parents did even though they were both in attendance.

Not a single person came out in opposition.

We're gonna keep up the pressure and make it clear to the committee that we expect this to reach the House floor ASAP.

sailingaway
09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Just an FYI that this meeting went pretty well. We filled the committee room to capacity, filled an overflow room, and still had people standing in the wings and by the door.

You can see the proposed minutes for the meeting HERE (http://www.house.mi.gov/SessionDocs/2011-2012/Minutes/over092512.pdf).

We had 13 people give verbal testimony in support of nullification, 7 people gave written testimony in support, and 25 people turned in cards to express their support on-the-record. That's 45 people from across the state of Michigan that came out to support the bill at this committee meeting (which is a lot for a meeting like this, especially in the middle of a work day), though I know for a fact there were more there that simply forgot to turn in cards because I can see neither of my parents did even though they were both in attendance.

Not a single person came out in opposition.

We're gonna keep up the pressure and make it clear to the committee that we expect this to reach the House floor ASAP.

Fantastic!

Darguth
09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Also, in case people didn't check the minutes link that 2 of the people giving verbal testimony were Rep. Justin Amash and the Legislative Director of the ACLU of MI. Pullin' out the big guns.