PDA

View Full Version : At LPAC, Dudley Brown accused Jim Forsythe of tabling pro gun right legislation

Jeremy
09-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Dudley Brown is in charge of the NAGR (gun group) and he spoke a few speakers after Senator Jim Forsythe on Friday. He claimed Jim Forsythe tabled a pro gun rights bill and said "you may want to ask him about that." It was really awkward because he spoke right after him...

Anyway, here is the actual vote:

https://votesmart.org/bill/votes/39996#.UFfH_KTyYeU
https://votesmart.org/bill/14374/39996/110089/repeals-license-requirement-to-carry-a-firearm#39996

I'm a little confused. Can anyone say what Forsythe supposedly did wrong or did Brown mess up? Why would you vote for it and then try to kill it? Can tabling a bill be a good thing?

sailingaway
09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
something could have been added that was bad. I don't know. But yeah, tabling can be a good thing if you are going to use the time to persuade someone, rather than have it voted down. Often it is just the end of the bill to table it, however. I like Forsythe, I suspect he had a reason, but I don't know what it was.

Keith and stuff
09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
It could have been many things. The best thing to find out the reason is to ask Jim.

Here are a couple ideas. The governor would have vetoed it and they may not have had the votes to overturn it.

Here is a real issue. It was both a pro-gun and anti-gun bill at the same time. It looks like it was written by the NRA because it has a bunch of crap in it. The NRA has been trying to weaken NH gun laws for years. The NRA claims that the NH laws are way too free in some ways and NH is out of step with the rest of the country. I'm willing to work with anyone on issues I think are important. I'm a member of the NRA. However, I don't know if the NRA is good for NH. I agree that it is good for a very anti-gun place like CA or NY. But for NH, the NRA may do more harm than good.

In NH, children are issued pistol licensees. We don't have an age limit here. The vast majority of states have a 21 or thereabouts age. That is the age the NRA wants it to be. However, the NH Constitution doesn't say anything about only adults having the right to carry. It doesn't mention legal citizens. It doesn't mention people who haven't renounced their citizenship.

You can make a case that for the average person in NH, this bill increased freedom. However, it violated the NH Constitution several times. It also violated the US Constitution. I'm sure that Ron Paul would have voted no on the bill. Someone like Ted Cruz would have supported it. I like both Ron Paul and Ted Cruz.

(e) Is less than 18 years of age;
(f) Is an illegal alien;
(g) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled drug or controlled drug analog, as defined in RSA 318-B;
(j) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=709&sy=2012&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2012&txtbillnumber=hb536&q=1

Keith and stuff
09-17-2012, 08:38 PM
BTW, I know the sponsor of the bill. He fought for it. However, he couldn't prevent the NH Senate from amending the bill and screwing it up. Read an earlier version of the bill. It was changed from the original. We still managed to get some gun reform into law the last couple years but it was hard with an anti-gun governor and several on the fence senators.

Update. I just noticed this part.

Can tabling a bill be a good thing?
NH isn't like most states. In NH, every bill has to be voted on with very few exceptions. Tabling a bill or sending it to a study committee is a common way to kill a bad bill. Bills are sometimes taken off a table, but rarely.

muzzled dogg
09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Keith and stuff again.